Re: linksys wireless loses signal.

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by mike, Aug 3, 2004.

  1. mike

    mike Guest

    yes there are lots of things on that band, esp DECT phones and alike.
    video senders etc etc, sadly the list is getting longer.
    a current one that totally screwed the harlow-wide system some time back was
    these single pole cellphone units made for local deadspots.
    it is not on the same channels but very near & the harmonic killed it dead.
    onetime when radio knowledge was a great help. even the cisco engineer was
    stumped

    mike

    "Curious" <Curious @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I had terrible time getting my linksys router and wireless connection

    working. Had to reset and remove all drivers and software and reinstall it
    all.
    > When trying to get the wireless working I finally had to change channels

    to get a signal.

    > I'm trying to understand why that was. I started on channel 6 and changed

    to channel 11. Are there over the air interference that could cause that?

    > Also When I view status I somtimes see other ssid's available such as

    netgear. Are those possible interference sources I should be concerned
    about?

    ---
    mike, Aug 3, 2004

  2. Thank you very much for your explanation. Just wondering though about other ssid's like netgear. Why do those show up showing various levels of signal strength from time to time? Can they interfere with my connection?

    =?Utf-8?B?Y3VyaW91cw==?=, Aug 3, 2004

    =?Utf-8?B?R3JlZw==?=, Aug 3, 2004
  4. I've had the same problem with Linksys and XP. Not only does the signal drop, but it won't retain the WEP key.

    Not surprisingly, Microsoft support is unable to address the problem....

    =?Utf-8?B?R3JlZw==?=, Aug 3, 2004
  5. mike

    mike Guest

    they should all co-exist and share the channel, but why not change it to a
    quite one.
    else....
    hijack the others u can hear!! free internet access if it is not secured!

    mike

    "curious" <> wrote in message
    > Thank you very much for your explanation. Just wondering though about

    other ssid's like netgear. Why do those show up showing various levels of
    signal strength from time to time? Can they interfere with my connection?

    > "mike" wrote:
    >
    > > yes there are lots of things on that band, esp DECT phones and alike.
    > > video senders etc etc, sadly the list is getting longer.
    > > a current one that totally screwed the harlow-wide system some time back

    was
    > > these single pole cellphone units made for local deadspots.
    > > it is not on the same channels but very near & the harmonic killed it

    dead.
    > > onetime when radio knowledge was a great help. even the cisco engineer

    was
    > > stumped
    > >
    > > mike
    > >

    > > "Curious" <Curious @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > I had terrible time getting my linksys router and wireless connection

    > > working. Had to reset and remove all drivers and software and reinstall

    it
    > > all.
    > > > When trying to get the wireless working I finally had to change

    channels
    > > to get a signal.
    > > >
    > > > I'm trying to understand why that was. I started on channel 6 and

    changed
    > > to channel 11. Are there over the air interference that could cause

    that?

    > > > Also When I view status I somtimes see other ssid's available such as

    > > netgear. Are those possible interference sources I should be concerned
    > > about?
    > > >

    > > ---

    ---
    mike, Aug 3, 2004