Re: Linksys wireless-G notebook adapter pings Cisco web each second

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by P.Schuman, Mar 24, 2008.

  1. P.Schuman

    P.Schuman Guest

    wrote:
    > I'm running the Linksys Wireless-G Notebook Adapter, Wireless Network
    > Monitor v3.1, for the Linksys WPC54G card. It ping cisco every second
    > (Out ICMP [8] Echo Request localhost->www.cisco.com [198.133.219.25];
    > Owner: TCP/IP Kernal Driver). If I turn off the monitor, I can no
    > longer access the internet. Before I poke another permanent hole in
    > my firewall for this ping, is there a way to operate the wireless card
    > without having this ping? As well, has any other WPC54G user observed
    > this ping?

    seems weird -
    there must be some other piece of software that you are running or viewing
    that would ping the cisco website ?

    P.Schuman, Mar 24, 2008

  2. P.Schuman

    Adair Winter Guest

    "P.Schuman" <> wrote in message
    > wrote:
    >> I'm running the Linksys Wireless-G Notebook Adapter, Wireless Network
    >> Monitor v3.1, for the Linksys WPC54G card. It ping cisco every second
    >> (Out ICMP [8] Echo Request localhost->www.cisco.com [198.133.219.25];
    >> Owner: TCP/IP Kernal Driver). If I turn off the monitor, I can no
    >> longer access the internet. Before I poke another permanent hole in
    >> my firewall for this ping, is there a way to operate the wireless card
    >> without having this ping? As well, has any other WPC54G user observed
    >> this ping?
    >>

    > seems weird -
    > there must be some other piece of software that you are running or viewing
    > that would ping the cisco website ?

    No kidding, I can't see why cisco would want however many people own this
    card who are online pinging their website.

    Adair

    Adair Winter, Mar 24, 2008

  3. P.Schuman

    Guest

    On Mar 23, 11:36 pm, "Adair Winter" <> wrote:
    > "P.Schuman" <> wrote in message
    > > wrote:
    > >> I'm running the Linksys Wireless-G Notebook Adapter, Wireless Network
    > >> Monitor v3.1, for the Linksys WPC54G card. It ping cisco every second
    > >> (Out ICMP [8] Echo Request localhost->www.cisco.com[198.133.219.25];
    > >> Owner: TCP/IP Kernal Driver). If I turn off the monitor, I can no
    > >> longer access the internet. Before I poke another permanent hole in
    > >> my firewall for this ping, is there a way to operate the wireless card
    > >> without having this ping? As well, has any other WPC54G user observed
    > >> this ping?

    > > seems weird -
    > > there must be some other piece of software that you are running or viewing
    > > that would ping the cisco website ?

    > No kidding, I can't see why cisco would want however many people own this
    > card who are online pinging their website.

    'Tis true. Given the behaviour that I documented under an obnoxious
    heading with the word "Linksys" in the subject line, I'm not
    surprised. I can even see how it can be argued to be reasonable!

    But I think I I found the solution. The "monitor" can be "closed",
    which just means that you press the "X" at the upper right corner of
    the monitor GUI window to make it disappear (without any
    representation down in the taskbar). It is not considered "off"
    because the icon still appears on the system tray. In the "closed"
    state (but not "off"), the continuous pings do not take place.

    However, if you have a software firewall on the PC blocking the pings
    when the monitor is "open", then the ping command will take almost
    100% of the CPU cycles. I consider this to be a nontrivial design
    flaw.

    The workaround is to allow the outgoing pings to that IP address only,
    with logged notification, and to close the monitor when you're done
    establishing a working connection with the access point. The monitor
    is much needed in establishing the connection because of the anomalous
    behaviour that I described earlier, under the recent obnoxious heading
    with the word "Linksys" in the subject line. I will try to remain
    professional henceforth.

    , Mar 24, 2008
  4. ~ >> I'm running the Linksys Wireless-G Notebook Adapter, Wireless Network
    ~ >> Monitor v3.1, for the Linksys WPC54G card. It ping cisco every second
    ~ >> (Out ICMP [8] Echo Request localhost->www.cisco.com [198.133.219.25];
    ~ >> Owner: TCP/IP Kernal Driver). If I turn off the monitor, I can no
    ~ >> longer access the internet. Before I poke another permanent hole in
    ~ >> my firewall for this ping, is there a way to operate the wireless card
    ~ >> without having this ping? As well, has any other WPC54G user observed
    ~ >> this ping?
    ~ >>
    ~ >
    ~
    ~ No kidding, I can't see why cisco would want however many people own this
    ~ card who are online pinging their website.
    ~
    ~ Adair

    Consider the possibility that they guys who wrote the code for the Linksys
    card didn't ask the guys who run www.cisco.com for permission to ping ...
    but at least they "kept it in the family".

    It could have been worse - a certain competitor of Linksys' shipped tons of
    their routers preconfigured to query a public NTP server - and worse, to
    batter it savagely if it didn't respond in time. Several others have done
    this as well.

    Aaron

    Aaron Leonard, Mar 25, 2008