Re: Linksys wireless-G notebook adapter pings Cisco each second

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by P.Schuman, Mar 24, 2008.

  1. P.Schuman

    P.Schuman Guest

    Jeff Liebermann wrote:
    > On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 20:02:38 -0700 (PDT),
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I'm running the Linksys Wireless-G Notebook Adapter, Wireless Network
    >> Monitor v3.1, for the Linksys WPC54G card. It ping cisco every
    >> second (Out ICMP [8] Echo Request localhost->www.cisco.com
    >> [198.133.219.25]; Owner: TCP/IP Kernal Driver). If I turn off the
    >> monitor, I can no longer access the internet. Before I poke another
    >> permanent hole in my firewall for this ping, is there a way to
    >> operate the wireless card without having this ping? As well, has
    >> any other WPC54G user observed this ping?

    > Can I get some additional information?
    > 1. Hardware version of the WPC54G card? It's on the serial number
    > sticker. v1.0 thru v7.0
    > 2. Any particular operating system? Your news header shows G2/1.0 on
    > a Pocket PC. What maker and model PDA? I'm curious.
    > 3. What version driver are you using? Looks like every hardware
    > version has a somewhat different driver and "Network Monitor" version.
    >
    > I have a WPC54G version something in the office that I can try. I
    > hadn't seen this behavior, but then I wasn't looking for it.
    >
    > I don't wanna offer suggestions until I get a clue as to the OS and
    > hardware version.

    wow - interesting that the card might be running in a PDA.
    In that case, I wonder if the continuous pings might be some method
    of keeping the card alive vs going to sleep,
    or maybe looking for a firmware update... but badly implemented... or ??

    The original posting showed these headers...
    I see the "G2" agent,
    but also the HTTP agent implies Firefox on XP (or is that NT 5.1) ?
    ---
    rv:1.8.1.12)
    Gecko/20080201 Firefox/2.0.0.12,gzip(gfe),gzip(gfe)

    P.Schuman, Mar 24, 2008