Re: limewire is gone ..where now

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by VanguardLH, Nov 2, 2010.

  1. VanguardLH

    VanguardLH Guest

    Information wrote:

    > my occasional download of music via limewire
    > is now gone
    >
    > where do i go now

    Napster, Pirate Bay, Limewire. Who fucked this all up? The users of
    these services that abused these services to distribute copyrighted
    content; otherwise, no one would've cared about file sharing services.
    So thank your own community for shooting themselves in their own
    collective foot.

    1999: Napster Released
    2000: Gnutella Launches
    2000: LimeWire Launches
    2001: Napster Shuts Down
    2001: Kazaa Launches
    2001: BitTorrent is Released
    2003: The Pirate Bay Launch
    2006: Kazaa Fined, Goes Legit
    2010: Court Ordered Pirate Bay Injunction
    2010: LimeWire Closes
    (From http://www.gearlog.com/2010/10/limewire_napster_the_pirate_ba.php)

    Frostwire (which is an open-source fork of Limewire) is one alternative.
    Of course, there is no guarantee that Frostwire is free of the bogus
    sites, malware, and spyware that plagued Limewire and probably is or
    will get worse than Limewire. Obviously the choices are waning as the
    e-pirates and those that enable them come under legal fire. The seas
    got swept of pirates so very few left now. Same now for e-pirates.

    If the fervor continues, eventually just having the illegal content on
    your host will make you legally liable, just like having kiddie porn
    means you can be prosecuted for its possession. That means, if the laws
    get worse or its enforcement tightens, that the FBI, Mussad, Yard or
    whomever with authority could be operating nodes in the P2P network to
    trace the other nodes, issue subpoenas to hold the ISP's logs, and a
    couple of guys in black come knocking on your door. ("They're Coming to
    Take Me Away", http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27OeLbdnwnI).

    Oh, you thought I'm stretching the truth for humor? Well, for us
    Americans, did you think 20 years ago that our Constitution would get
    dismantled (Victory and Patriot Acts, 1 & 2), merging of the police and
    military (via legal crippling of Posse Comitatus Act), and a Prez who
    wants a *mandatory* "voluntary" civilian military (Ready Reserve aka
    Brownshirts)? More shit is coming. Incrementalism and long-term fear
    mongering works very well. I'm just extrapolating from recent history.
    Pretty soon we'll all be wearing ankle tracers (except they'll be
    injected subdermal tracers).

    VanguardLH, Nov 2, 2010