Re: Lexar Firewire CF reader

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Stuart Middleton-White, Jul 15, 2003.

  1. "Si" <> wrote:

    > The lexar website states that it's Firewire CF reader is "up to 4 times
    > faster than using a USB-film-reader device"...

    FYI the Lexar Firewire reader is not that fast. My Addonics Firewire
    Mini Digidrive is about 50% faster (yes I've personally tested them
    with the same CF cards)!

    People often quote the USB 2.0/IEEE-1394 *maximum* bandwidth figures
    and forget that these are theoretical limits that no practical device
    will achieve--although they may get close.

    In regards to card (CF or other) readers the limit is more likely to
    be the card, reader or a combination thereof. Up to today the fastest
    rate I'd seen reported was around 6000kbytes/sec but it seems the new
    Sandisk Ultra cards achieve almost 8000kbytes/sec!!!

    See http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-6269-6272

    This review of various CF cards readers is worth a read.

    http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-6191-6217

    ---
    Don't feed the trolls--it only makes them grow!

    Stuart Middleton-White, Jul 15, 2003

  2. Stuart Middleton-White

    Si Guest

    "Stuart Middleton-White" <> wrote in message
    > "Si" <> wrote:
    >
    > > The lexar website states that it's Firewire CF reader is "up to 4 times
    > > faster than using a USB-film-reader device"...

    > FYI the Lexar Firewire reader is not that fast. My Addonics Firewire
    > Mini Digidrive is about 50% faster (yes I've personally tested them
    > with the same CF cards)!
    >
    > People often quote the USB 2.0/IEEE-1394 *maximum* bandwidth figures
    > and forget that these are theoretical limits that no practical device
    > will achieve--although they may get close.

    Yes, I do apprecate the maximum's are often theoretical, I just expected
    more from Lexar than 'up to 4 times as fast'...

    The new Sandisk readers look pretty good, just wonder how they'd perform
    with Lexar Cards?

    Simon.

    Si, Jul 15, 2003

  3. "Si" <> wrote:

    > The new Sandisk readers look pretty good, just wonder how they'd perform
    > with Lexar Cards?

    Did you read the review I posted (see the last URL)? Rob tested the
    Sandisk Ultra ImageMate and the Sandisk ImageMate 6 in 1 with a bunch
    of cards including some Lexar's.

    Here's the page containing the performance table (for WinXP).

    http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-6191-6217-6221

    Interestingly the Sandisk Ultra ImageMate performs well whereas the
    Sandisk ImageMate 6 in 1is about half the speed! The Lexar Firewire
    reader is between those two in terms of speed.

    Average speeds (over all CF cards)

    Addonics FireWire Mini DigiDrive 4473K/sec
    Sandisk Ultra ImageMate 4363K/sec
    Lexar Media FireWire CF Digital Film Reader 3634K/sec
    Sandisk ImageMate 6 in 1 2239K/sec

    ---
    Don't feed the trolls--it only makes them grow!

    Stuart Middleton-White, Jul 15, 2003
  4. Stuart Middleton-White

    > "Si" <> wrote:
    >
    > > The new Sandisk readers look pretty good, just wonder how they'd perform
    > > with Lexar Cards?

    > Did you read the review I posted (see the last URL)? Rob tested the
    > Sandisk Ultra ImageMate and the Sandisk ImageMate 6 in 1 with a bunch
    > of cards including some Lexar's.
    >
    > Here's the page containing the performance table (for WinXP).
    >
    > http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-6191-6217-6221

    I'll be off there right now for a read up :)

    Interestingly, I sent an email to Lexar earlier today, after an on line
    dicussion with their tech support...here's the (less than filling me with
    confidence) response...

    Dear Simon,

    It a Marketing typo error.
    I will ask them to change to 28 times.

    Thanks.

    Si, Jul 16, 2003
  5. Stuart Middleton-White

    > "Si" <> wrote:
    >
    > > The new Sandisk readers look pretty good, just wonder how they'd perform
    > > with Lexar Cards?

    > Did you read the review I posted (see the last URL)? Rob tested the
    > Sandisk Ultra ImageMate and the Sandisk ImageMate 6 in 1 with a bunch
    > of cards including some Lexar's.
    >
    > Here's the page containing the performance table (for WinXP).
    >
    > http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-6191-6217-6221
    >
    > Interestingly the Sandisk Ultra ImageMate performs well whereas the
    > Sandisk ImageMate 6 in 1is about half the speed! The Lexar Firewire
    > reader is between those two in terms of speed.
    >
    > Average speeds (over all CF cards)
    >
    > Addonics FireWire Mini DigiDrive 4473K/sec
    > Sandisk Ultra ImageMate 4363K/sec
    > Lexar Media FireWire CF Digital Film Reader 3634K/sec
    > Sandisk ImageMate 6 in 1 2239K/sec

    Interesting to see from the review that the Sandisk cards themselves were
    some of the poorer performers.

    Simon.

    Si, Jul 16, 2003
  6. "Si" <> wrote:

    > Interesting to see from the review that the Sandisk cards themselves were
    > some of the poorer performers.

    Up until today that was true. The new Sandisk Ultra cards blow away
    everyone now. Did you read the first link I posted?

    ---
    Don't feed the trolls--it only makes them grow!

    Stuart Middleton-White, Jul 16, 2003
  7. Stuart Middleton-White

    > "Si" <> wrote:
    >
    > > Interesting to see from the review that the Sandisk cards themselves

    were
    > > some of the poorer performers.

    > Up until today that was true. The new Sandisk Ultra cards blow away
    > everyone now. Did you read the first link I posted?

    Have now....

    Cheers,

    Simon.

    Si, Jul 16, 2003