Re: Let's Hope Microsoft Do Not Win the HD Format War

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by LASERandDVDfan, Jun 28, 2003.

  1. >Recall that XBOX2 (or some derivitave) is rumored to be all things: a video
    >game console, internet browser, DVD (MS hd anyone?), TiVo-like recorder,
    >etc...
    >
    >And by keeping compatability with existing tech, they save on cost and have
    >an installed library upon delivery.

    However, there is such a thing as putting too much into something.

    The X-Box should concentrate primarily on being a video game system. Being too
    many things at once has never proven to be successful in the video game
    business. Just look at the 3DO and the CD-i. - Reinhart
    LASERandDVDfan, Jun 28, 2003

  2. LASERandDVDfan wrote:
    >>Recall that XBOX2 (or some derivitave) is rumored to be all things: a video
    >>game console, internet browser, DVD (MS hd anyone?), TiVo-like recorder,
    >>etc...
    >>
    >>And by keeping compatability with existing tech, they save on cost and have
    >>an installed library upon delivery.

    > However, there is such a thing as putting too much into something.
    >
    > The X-Box should concentrate primarily on being a video game system. Being too
    > many things at once has never proven to be successful in the video game
    > business. Just look at the 3DO and the CD-i. - Reinhart

    I understand those arguments, and I sometimes make them myself, but I
    think that one of the chief reasons CD-i and 3DO failed (first are high
    prices and lack of games) is that technology had not yet caught up to
    what they were trying to accomplish. Imagine a console that has
    excellent support from game publishers and yet is a "do-it-all" wonder,
    like the one described. It's possible that such a device could be made
    and sold at a $300 price point. Once it has a HD how hard is it to make
    it a video recorder and throw in some web browsing software as well?

    --
    "It is dark, you are likely to be eaten by a grue."
    --Zork

    Grand Inquisitor
    Grand Inquisitor, Jun 28, 2003

  3. >I
    >think that one of the chief reasons CD-i and 3DO failed (first are high
    >prices and lack of games) is that technology had not yet caught up to
    >what they were trying to accomplish.

    The other factor was that the people who made the hardware were also trying to
    make a profit off of it.

    In the 3DO's case, the right to make the console was licensed to Matsushita
    from the 3DO company.

    In the videogame console business, the first party is expected to lose money on
    hardware sales. Profit is made from software sales, from the first party's own
    software sales and from royalties the first party collects from licensed third
    parties.

    Imagine a console that has
    >excellent support from game publishers and yet is a "do-it-all" wonder,
    >like the one described. It's possible that such a device could be made
    >and sold at a $300 price point. Once it has a HD how hard is it to make
    >it a video recorder and throw in some web browsing software as well?

    The only problem is that adding more features may also increase the price to
    make the console. Selling at a loss becomes far more costly and risky as a
    result and would take longer for the first party to start seeing profit from
    software sales.

    Also, you still have to keep it in perspective. You make a videogame console
    for videogaming first and foremost. Everything else is secondary. If the
    extra features can be added at negligible cost, like Sony adding DVD playback
    to the PS-2 simply because it would use a DVD-ROM drive and a hardware MPEG2
    decoder for gameplay anyways, then it may work. But Microsoft is being too
    ambitious and risky in a business that rarely forgives error. - Reinhart
    LASERandDVDfan, Jun 28, 2003