Re: Lens picture taking quality comparison question

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Joseph Meehan, Mar 15, 2006.

  1. Allan wrote:
    > Zoom range and body type aside, which lens do you think has the better
    > picture taking quality
    >
    > Panasonic FZ20
    > Canon S2 IS
    > Nikon D50 18-55 kit lens
    > Canon Rebel XT 18-55 kit lens
    > Nikon D70s 18-70mm kit lens
    >
    > cheers
    >
    > Allan

    Let's start off with your definition of "better picture taking quality."

    Personally I like both apple and cherry pie.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia duit

    Joseph Meehan, Mar 15, 2006

  2. Joseph Meehan

    Allan Guest

    " Let's start off with your definition of "better picture taking quality.""

    So, lets exclude - zoom range, mechanical construction, max apertures,
    element types and so on.

    Does the lens produce a pleasing sharp picture? After all, is this not the
    basis for discussion when comparing Leica with Nikon with Canon with Zeiss?

    I was just wondering if anyone had experience with these lenses and could
    give some kind of answer.

    Allan

    Allan, Mar 16, 2006

  3. Joseph Meehan

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 10:51:02 -0500, "Allan" <>
    wrote:

    >" Let's start off with your definition of "better picture taking quality.""
    >
    >So, lets exclude - zoom range, mechanical construction, max apertures,
    >element types and so on.
    >
    >Does the lens produce a pleasing sharp picture? After all, is this not the
    >basis for discussion when comparing Leica with Nikon with Canon with Zeiss?
    >
    >I was just wondering if anyone had experience with these lenses and could
    >give some kind of answer.
    >
    >Allan

    Lots of people have experience with these lenses.
    They produce pictures a *lot* of people consider pleasing.
    There are some people who do not consider the pictures these lenses
    produce to be pleasing.
    You're specifically asking for subjective responses. That (the above)
    is the absolute best you can expect in the way of subjective answers.

    If you want more, check out the various review sites.

    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"

    Bill Funk, Mar 16, 2006
  4. Allan wrote:
    >" Let's start off with your definition of "better picture taking
    >quality.""
    >
    > So, lets exclude - zoom range, mechanical construction, max apertures,
    > element types and so on.
    >
    > Does the lens produce a pleasing sharp picture? After all, is this
    > not the basis for discussion when comparing Leica with Nikon with
    > Canon with Zeiss?

    Define "pleasing" and "sharp"

    > I was just wondering if anyone had experience with these lenses and
    > could give some kind of answer.

    I am not trying to be funny or make life difficult for you, but my idea
    of quality or sharp (it is more complex than you may think) or pleasing, is
    not likely to be the same as yours. Everyone has an opinion and unless you
    define the terms, all you get are opinions based on criteria that may be
    different than yours.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia duit

    Joseph Meehan, Mar 16, 2006
  5. Joseph Meehan

    Roy G Guest

    > Allan wrote:
    >>" Let's start off with your definition of "better picture taking
    >>quality.""
    >>
    >> So, lets exclude - zoom range, mechanical construction, max apertures,
    >> element types and so on.
    >>
    >> Does the lens produce a pleasing sharp picture? After all, is this
    >> not the basis for discussion when comparing Leica with Nikon with
    >> Canon with Zeiss?

    > Define "pleasing" and "sharp"
    >

    >> I was just wondering if anyone had experience with these lenses and
    >> could give some kind of answer.

    > I am not trying to be funny or make life difficult for you, but my idea
    > of quality or sharp (it is more complex than you may think) or pleasing,
    > is not likely to be the same as yours. Everyone has an opinion and unless
    > you define the terms, all you get are opinions based on criteria that may
    > be different than yours.
    >

    >> Allan
    >>

    >> "Joseph Meehan" <> wrote in message

    >>> Let's start off with your definition of "better picture taking
    >>> quality."
    >>>
    >>> Personally I like both apple and cherry pie.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Joseph Meehan
    >>>
    >>> Dia duit

    > --
    > Joseph Meehan
    >
    > Dia duit

    Hi all.

    It is even worse than what has been stated so far.

    It is like this, I only use one of those camera / lens combinations.

    I think it produces superbly sharp images of a very high quality, and its
    artistic ability is also quite good. I do not think any of the others, as
    used by yourselves, are nearly as good when judged on any of those criteria.

    Roy G

    Roy G, Mar 17, 2006