    and rotating the polariser on the Tamron 75-300 with the "tube" like
    hood is impossible.
    Bernard.
    Bernard Rother, Jun 1, 2005

  2. Bernard Rother

    Ace Guest

    The coverage pattern of the lens is such that a "straight" hood would
    do some vignetting at the corners of the exposure.

    Bob AZ
    Ace, Jun 1, 2005

  3. Bernard Rother

    Paul Furman Guest

    Bernard Rother wrote:

    > Was wondering if there was a specific reason why manufacturers design a
    > new lens hoods ( Sigma 18-125 in my case )with a petal shape.

    I assume the cutouts in the corners minimize vignetting.

    > I know I
    > find it easier to remove the cap and rotate the polariser ( only just,
    > with an index finger ), not ideal but I can do it. Taking the cap off
    > and rotating the polariser on the Tamron 75-300 with the "tube" like
    > hood is impossible.

    Is that one non-internal focusing (front of lens rotates)?

    --
    Paul Furman
    http://www.edgehill.net/1
    Paul Furman, Jun 1, 2005
  4. Paul Furman wrote:

    > Bernard Rother wrote:
    >
    >> Was wondering if there was a specific reason why manufacturers design
    >> a new lens hoods ( Sigma 18-125 in my case )with a petal shape.

    > I assume the cutouts in the corners minimize vignetting.
    >

    >> I know I find it easier to remove the cap and rotate the polariser (
    >> only just, with an index finger ), not ideal but I can do it. Taking
    >> the cap off and rotating the polariser on the Tamron 75-300 with the
    >> "tube" like hood is impossible.

    > Is that one non-internal focusing (front of lens rotates)?

    Internal focusing .... nice for the polariser. Just got the lens
    yesterday and am more than happy with it. Gotta admit ... it looks cute
    on the D70.
    Bernard Rother, Jun 1, 2005
  5. "Paul Furman" <> wrote in message
    > Bernard Rother wrote:
    >
    >> Was wondering if there was a specific reason why manufacturers
    >> design a new lens hoods ( Sigma 18-125 in my case )with a petal
    >> shape.

    > I assume the cutouts in the corners minimize vignetting.

    The main reason is that it allows to make a deeper (=more effective)
    hood, without vignetting.

    Bart
    Bart van der Wolf, Jun 1, 2005
  6. Bernard Rother

    george Guest

    "Bart van der Wolf" <> wrote in message

    > "Paul Furman" <> wrote in message
    >> Bernard Rother wrote:
    >>
    >>> Was wondering if there was a specific reason why manufacturers design a
    >>> new lens hoods ( Sigma 18-125 in my case )with a petal shape.

    >> I assume the cutouts in the corners minimize vignetting.

    > The main reason is that it allows to make a deeper (=more effective) hood,
    > without vignetting.

    AND with a smaller overall diameter of the hood.

    george, Jun 1, 2005