Re: Lens hoods?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Wolfgang Weisselberg, Oct 26, 2010.

  1. Paul Furman <> wrote:

    > may have shiny bits inside. It would be nice to devise a compact set of
    > lens shades with that using velcro so they could be unrolled and fit
    > neatly in a side pocket, flattened.

    Which wouldn't protect the lens against bangs in daily use,
    which is the other important reason for lens hoods. But
    then, it's probably the price to pay for flattening them.

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Oct 26, 2010

  2. If the lens hood is in place and an object like a stone or pebble "kicks
    up", it's less likely that it would hit the front element than if the lens
    hood is not on.

    "Whisky-dave" <> wrote in message
    On 26 Oct, 14:42, Wolfgang Weisselberg <>
    wrote:
    > Paul Furman <> wrote:
    > > may have shiny bits inside. It would be nice to devise a compact set of
    > > lens shades with that using velcro so they could be unrolled and fit
    > > neatly in a side pocket, flattened.

    > Which wouldn't protect the lens against bangs in daily use,
    > which is the other important reason for lens hoods. But
    > then, it's probably the price to pay for flattening them.
    >
    > -Wolfgang

    I don;t really understand how a lens hood protects the lens.
    I've always found it make it worse because the 'lens' is actually
    longer
    with a lens hood attached and therefore more likily that I or
    something else will
    knock into it.

    Pete Stavrakoglou, Oct 27, 2010

  3. Whisky-dave <> wrote:
    > On 26 Oct, 14:42, Wolfgang Weisselberg <>

    >> Which wouldn't protect the lens against bangs in daily use,
    >> which is the other important reason for lens hoods.  But
    >> then, it's probably the price to pay for flattening them.

    > I don;t really understand how a lens hood protects the lens.
    > I've always found it make it worse because the 'lens' is actually
    > longer
    > with a lens hood attached and therefore more likily that I or
    > something else will
    > knock into it.

    Take a 70-200mm lens with a chopped tulip style lenshood. I.e. a
    rather long one.

    Unless there's something rather long and thin, it'll be stuck
    in the lens hood before reaching the front element. Same for
    fingers --- you have to actively reach inside, there's little
    chance you'll touch the front element by accident.

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Oct 28, 2010