RE: LEICA / Panasonic -- The Real Deal??

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Paige Turner, Jun 18, 2004.

  1. Paige Turner

    Paige Turner Guest

    I searched Google Groups but couldn't find any objective reviews of
    the Leica lenses on the Panasonic Lumix cameras.

    1.) Are these "Leica" lenses of the identical optical quality that one
    would find on a Leica camera? Has anyone made any objective comparison
    tests? Is that even possible?

    2.) Is this just a marketing scam where a company licenses use of the
    Leica name a then sells an inferior lens?

    3.) Bottom line -- does it make a difference that Leica's name is on
    the lens? Will a Canon, or Fuji, or Minolta have optics that are just
    as good, or maybe better?

    4.) Who actually makes the lenses? Panasonic under license? Leica?

    Thanks a lot,
    PT
    Paige Turner, Jun 18, 2004

  2. Paige Turner wrote:

    > I searched Google Groups but couldn't find any objective reviews of
    > the Leica lenses on the Panasonic Lumix cameras.
    >
    > 1.) Are these "Leica" lenses of the identical optical quality that one
    > would find on a Leica camera? Has anyone made any objective comparison
    > tests? Is that even possible?

    Yes. Jonathan Eastland, one the feature writers for my magazines, as
    well as being the author of several Leica books has also recently made a
    point of testing the Lumix and Leica versions of the digital cameras.

    He is not totally objective about it but generally he's happy with both.
    He preferred the earlier 4-colour CCD grid camera for colour rendering
    to the new conventional RGB CCD models though.

    > 2.) Is this just a marketing scam where a company licenses use of the
    > Leica name a then sells an inferior lens?

    No, because Panasonic make the lenses both for the Leica branded version
    and Panasonic - and Leica design and control the quality.

    > 3.) Bottom line -- does it make a difference that Leica's name is on
    > the lens? Will a Canon, or Fuji, or Minolta have optics that are just
    > as good, or maybe better?

    Leica's 'own' lenses have been made, in the past, by:
    Jos. Schneider
    TTH (Britain)
    Minolta Camera Co
    Sigma
    Angenieux

    and probably a number of other contractors as well. The best-known Leica
    lens maker has been Minolta, without doubt, as this was well publicised
    over a period from 1974 to 1981, after the two had worked together since
    1959 on many aspects of technical exchange.

    The least well known is Sigma whose time subcontracting to Leica was
    quite short.

    > 4.) Who actually makes the lenses? Panasonic under license? Leica?

    Panasonic under licence.

    David
    http://www.freelancephotgrapher.co.uk/
    David Kilpatrick, Jun 18, 2004

  3. Paige Turner

    Eddy Vortex Guest

    I tried to look at your web page, David, but it can't be found. Troubles?

    Eddy Vortex, Jun 23, 2004
  4. David Kilpatrick, Jun 23, 2004