Re: Latest Version Of AVG 8.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Dave Taylor, May 26, 2008.

  1. Dave Taylor

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote in news:1211781612.808415
    @ftpsrv1:

    > Is this still free has the website claims?

    Yes, but I know two people who use it and it does not work properly for
    them. 7.5 was fine.
    I don't recommend AVG and never have.
    I like and use Avast for free stuff...

    HTH.

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, May 26, 2008

  2. In article <Xns9AAAC10094504daveytaynospamplshot@203.97.37.6>,
    says...
    > "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote in news:1211781612.808415
    > @ftpsrv1:
    >
    > > Is this still free has the website claims?

    > Yes, but I know two people who use it and it does not work properly for
    > them. 7.5 was fine.
    > I don't recommend AVG and never have.
    > I like and use Avast for free stuff...
    >
    > HTH.

    Funny that. Having heard about the possible issues with AVG I
    tried Avira the other day on a freshly rebuilt system
    (basically vanilla xp pro sp2). Installed fine, but wouldn't
    update. "no license" . After 45 minutes poking around their
    site I found a link for the license to download and copy into
    the avira directory. Downloaded updated definition files, then
    it crashed trying to update the database. Yeesh.

    How do they expect people without experience to cope with that
    kind of crap? I took Avira right back off because I knew that
    the semi-comp-literate owner would NOT be able to cope.

    I will keep it around (on CD) because it installs easily from
    safe mode, but for continued use????

    -Peter

    Peter Huebner, May 27, 2008

  3. Dave Taylor

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    ess says...
    > In article <Xns9AAAC10094504daveytaynospamplshot@203.97.37.6>,
    > says...
    > > "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote in news:1211781612.808415
    > > @ftpsrv1:
    > >
    > > > Is this still free has the website claims?

    > > Yes, but I know two people who use it and it does not work properly for
    > > them. 7.5 was fine.
    > > I don't recommend AVG and never have.
    > > I like and use Avast for free stuff...
    > >
    > > HTH.

    > Funny that. Having heard about the possible issues with AVG I
    > tried Avira the other day on a freshly rebuilt system
    > (basically vanilla xp pro sp2). Installed fine, but wouldn't
    > update.

    <snip>

    You wait until you *do* get yer auto-updates - reads like a big
    advertisement to me. Couldn't handle recommending that to anyone!

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, May 27, 2008