Re: Latest Version Of AVG 8.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Dave Doe, May 26, 2008.

  1. Dave Doe

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <1211781612.808415@ftpsrv1>, scrooge@*shot.co.nz says...
    > Is this still free has the website claims?
    >
    > Also does it have to be freshly installed after removing the old previous
    > version of AVG first?
    >
    > Person I know with an Asus Laptop running Vista has an AVG message popping
    > claiming that AVG is no longer free according to her. Might be more to it
    > with expiry date of her version showing.
    >
    > I've looked at the AVG website which says version 8 was released in April.
    >
    > Avira latest version 8 was in the normal updates of Aviria.

    Yes it's still free. Your person that's not got the free version,
    *probably* went to the website. It is *very* difficult to find the link
    to the free version - they *really* want you to buy the paid for
    version. The free site is still (AFAIK):
    http://free.grisoft.com

    It's kinda hard to work out - but it seems to me that the new version
    does not provide as much protection as the old (in particular
    downloading from www, ie browser integration). I don't think that's a
    biggie, but perhaps some other folk might like to comment on that.

    If you do the upgrade from free V7 to 8, via the AVG popup window that
    refers to the upgrade, it downloads and installs fine over the old
    (IIRC, it removes the old, installs the new) - all quite seamlessly
    (can't recall if a reboot was required - being Windows, it probably is!
    :)

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, May 26, 2008

  2. In article <>,
    says...
    > If you do the upgrade from free V7 to 8, via the AVG popup window that
    > refers to the upgrade, it downloads and installs fine over the old
    > (IIRC, it removes the old, installs the new) - all quite seamlessly
    > (can't recall if a reboot was required - being Windows, it probably is!

    I tried to install AVG free 8 and it wouldn't. It recognizes XP
    Pro SP1 as being win2k and wants me to install [rollup] service
    pack 4.
    Then it breaks off the install process.
    Um.
    Guess I could risk installing XP SP2 (still have the original
    MS mailout CD) - but before I upgraded my hardware that install
    led to a lot of bsod-s and I took SP2 off again. Not sure if
    that's related to some of my software or if it was a problem
    with the old hardware. I am somewhat reluctant to go down that
    road.

    -Peter

    Peter Huebner, May 27, 2008

  3. Dave Doe

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Peter Huebner <> wrote in

    > Guess I could risk installing XP SP2 (still have the original
    > MS mailout CD) - but before I upgraded my hardware that install
    > led to a lot of bsod-s and I took SP2 off again. Not sure if
    > that's related to some of my software or if it was a problem
    > with the old hardware. I am somewhat reluctant to go down that
    > road.

    So you have SP1 on XP. I hope you are behind a router...
    If it aint broke...
    I am running SP3 on my XP and it went without any trouble, however I also
    had all the latest drivers for my hardware. That is usually the problem
    with Service Packs.

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, May 27, 2008