Re: Latest Version Of AVG 8.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by EMB, May 26, 2008.

  1. EMB

    EMB Guest

    E. Scrooge wrote:
    > Is this still free has the website claims?
    >
    > Also does it have to be freshly installed after removing the old
    > previous version of AVG first?
    >
    > Person I know with an Asus Laptop running Vista has an AVG message
    > popping claiming that AVG is no longer free according to her. Might be
    > more to it with expiry date of her version showing.
    >
    > I've looked at the AVG website which says version 8 was released in April.
    >
    > Avira latest version 8 was in the normal updates of Aviria.

    It installs straight over the top of the earlier version and does all
    the uninstall guff itself. And yes, it's still free.

    EMB, May 26, 2008

  2. In article <1211783475.166659@ftpsrv1>, *sling did write:

    > Does that mean the new version still has to be freshly downloaded first?
    > Which means it doesn't update to the latest version auomatically?

    Dimdows still can't quite figure out this package-management thing, can
    it. :)

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 26, 2008

  3. EMB

    Cima Guest

    On Mon, 26 May 2008 18:38:39 +1200, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)>
    wrote:

    >Does that mean the new version still has to be freshly downloaded first?
    >Which means it doesn't update to the latest version auomatically?

    Yep, you need to download it manually.
    Do a custom install, and don't choose the 'link scanner' - it's a royal
    slowdown, especially on dialup.

    Cima, May 26, 2008
  4. EMB

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Cima" typed:
    > On Mon, 26 May 2008 18:38:39 +1200, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz
    > (*sling)> wrote:
    >

    >> Does that mean the new version still has to be freshly downloaded
    >> first? Which means it doesn't update to the latest version
    >> auomatically?

    > Yep, you need to download it manually.
    > Do a custom install, and don't choose the 'link scanner' - it's a
    > royal slowdown, especially on dialup.

    I've disabled LinkScanner on my install and I hate that, now, the icon in
    the systray is always showing an error state.

    How am I supposed to know if there's a real error now? Very annoying, I've
    been an AVG fan for years but this bugs me.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, May 27, 2008
  5. EMB

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Keith" typed:
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >> On Mon, 26 May 2008 18:38:39 +1200, "E. Scrooge"
    >> <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote:
    >>

    >>> Does that mean the new version still has to be freshly downloaded
    >>> first? Which means it doesn't update to the latest version
    >>> auomatically?

    >> Yep, you need to download it manually.

    > Are we talking versions of the application itself or versions of the
    > virus database? If the latter then AVG Free can be set to download
    > every day at a user specified time. There are other choices that are
    > greyed out and must be part of the paid version.
    >
    >> Do a custom install, and don't choose the 'link scanner' - it's a
    >> royal slowdown, especially on dialup.
    >>

    > And if you have selected it and now want to get rid of it there are
    > instructions here:
    > grandstreamdreams.blogspot.com/2008/04/taming-avg-free-version-8.html

    You little beauty! Thanks for that.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, May 27, 2008
  6. EMB

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <483b90dd$>,
    says...
    > Somewhere on teh intarweb "Cima" typed:
    > > On Mon, 26 May 2008 18:38:39 +1200, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz
    > > (*sling)> wrote:
    > >

    > >> Does that mean the new version still has to be freshly downloaded
    > >> first? Which means it doesn't update to the latest version
    > >> auomatically?

    > > Yep, you need to download it manually.
    > > Do a custom install, and don't choose the 'link scanner' - it's a
    > > royal slowdown, especially on dialup.

    > I've disabled LinkScanner on my install and I hate that, now, the icon in
    > the systray is always showing an error state.
    >
    > How am I supposed to know if there's a real error now? Very annoying, I've
    > been an AVG fan for years but this bugs me.

    I noted a few horrible things about AVG free V8 - it kills yer browser
    (well IE anyway) - I've updated ma AVG page to include info on removing
    the browser integration (real-time scanning still works of course)...

    http://www.adrock.com/Default.aspx?tabid=340

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, May 27, 2008
  7. EMB

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Dave Doe" typed:
    > In article <483b90dd$>,
    > says...
    >> Somewhere on teh intarweb "Cima" typed:

    >>> Yep, you need to download it manually.
    >>> Do a custom install, and don't choose the 'link scanner' - it's a
    >>> royal slowdown, especially on dialup.

    >> I've disabled LinkScanner on my install and I hate that, now, the
    >> icon in the systray is always showing an error state.
    >>
    >> How am I supposed to know if there's a real error now? Very
    >> annoying, I've been an AVG fan for years but this bugs me.

    > I noted a few horrible things about AVG free V8 - it kills yer browser
    > (well IE anyway) - I've updated ma AVG page to include info on
    > removing the browser integration (real-time scanning still works of
    > course)...
    >
    > http://www.adrock.com/Default.aspx?tabid=340

    Cool, handy resource, thanks Duncan.
    --