Re: Latest Nvidia Drivers WHQL certification but very very Large..

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by EMB, Aug 13, 2008.

  1. EMB

    EMB Guest

    Brian Mathews wrote:
    > This is getting a bit ridiculous..
    >

    > Latest Nvidia 177.83 Drivers 83 megs..???

    What's the problem? It won't take you long to download on your awesome
    highspeed Telstraclear cable connection will it Woger? After all it's
    less than 10 minutes on substandard ADSL.

    EMB, Aug 13, 2008

  2. EMB

    Enkidu Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > Brian Mathews wrote:
    >> This is getting a bit ridiculous..
    >>

    >> Latest Nvidia 177.83 Drivers 83 megs..???

    > What's the problem? It won't take you long to download on your awesome
    > highspeed Telstraclear cable connection will it Woger? After all it's
    > less than 10 minutes on substandard ADSL.

    83 megs *is* bit silly for drivers. I'd guess that that includes all
    versions for all the possible video cards for all the possible operating
    systems.

    Remember when they used to fit on a floppy?

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    "I LOVE IT!!" - some drongo on a newsgroup, somewhere.

    Enkidu, Aug 13, 2008

  3. EMB

    EMB Guest

    Enkidu wrote:
    > EMB wrote:
    >> Brian Mathews wrote:
    >>> This is getting a bit ridiculous..
    >>>

    >>> Latest Nvidia 177.83 Drivers 83 megs..???

    >> What's the problem? It won't take you long to download on your
    >> awesome highspeed Telstraclear cable connection will it Woger? After
    >> all it's less than 10 minutes on substandard ADSL.
    > >

    > 83 megs *is* bit silly for drivers. I'd guess that that includes all
    > versions for all the possible video cards for all the possible operating
    > systems.
    >
    > Remember when they used to fit on a floppy?

    Remember when you didn't need video drivers?

    EMB, Aug 13, 2008
  4. EMB

    Enkidu Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > Enkidu wrote:
    >> EMB wrote:

    >>> What's the problem? It won't take you long to download on your
    >>> awesome highspeed Telstraclear cable connection will it Woger? After
    >>> all it's less than 10 minutes on substandard ADSL.
    >> >

    >> 83 megs *is* bit silly for drivers. I'd guess that that includes all
    >> versions for all the possible video cards for all the possible
    >> operating systems.
    >>
    >> Remember when they used to fit on a floppy?

    > Remember when you didn't need video drivers?

    No. I always needed a driver for my Herc card!

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    "I LOVE IT!!" - some drongo on a newsgroup, somewhere.

    Enkidu, Aug 13, 2008
  5. EMB

    Lodi Guest

    Re: Latest Nvidia Drivers WHQL certification but very veryLarge..

    >On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 21:03:39 +1200, EMB wrote:

    >> Brian Mathews wrote:
    >> This is getting a bit ridiculous..
    >>

    >> Latest Nvidia 177.83 Drivers 83 megs..???

    > What's the problem? It won't take you long to download on your awesome
    > highspeed Telstraclear cable connection will it Woger? After all it's
    > less than 10 minutes on substandard ADSL.

    Sightly OT sorry (but speaking of ADSL speeds)...Lost my internet
    connection a fortnight ago for just under two days. Phoned Actrix, moaned
    a bit and they phoned Telecom. Seems there was a refit going on at the
    local exchange. Telecom forgot to mention it to other ISP's. I grumbled a
    bit more but what can you do...

    Next few days after the refit are nothing special then all of a sudden
    I'm getting outrageous speeds. VMware server (~100MB) down in under three
    minutes, linux updates (225MB) down in five minutes, various 10MB or 20MB
    packages in a few seconds, 350MB torrent files in twenty minutes, 1GB
    torrent of rugby game in just over an hour....all at different times of
    the day. Local and international. All this on my plain old 2M/128K $50 a
    month plan which I've had for the last two or three years.

    Personally I think some half asleep tech at the exchange has accidentally
    cross-wired me into someone elses super-duper full speed plan (although
    my up-speed is still only 128K so who knows). Long may it last.

    Am I complaining...... :)

    Regards
    Lodi

    Lodi, Aug 14, 2008
  6. On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 02:16:27 +0200 (CEST), Lodi <> wrote:

    >>On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 21:03:39 +1200, EMB wrote:

    >>> Brian Mathews wrote:
    >>> This is getting a bit ridiculous..
    >>>

    >>> Latest Nvidia 177.83 Drivers 83 megs..???

    >> What's the problem? It won't take you long to download on your awesome
    >> highspeed Telstraclear cable connection will it Woger? After all it's
    >> less than 10 minutes on substandard ADSL.

    >Sightly OT sorry (but speaking of ADSL speeds)...Lost my internet
    >connection a fortnight ago for just under two days. Phoned Actrix, moaned
    >a bit and they phoned Telecom. Seems there was a refit going on at the
    >local exchange. Telecom forgot to mention it to other ISP's. I grumbled a
    >bit more but what can you do...
    >
    >Next few days after the refit are nothing special then all of a sudden
    >I'm getting outrageous speeds. VMware server (~100MB) down in under three
    >minutes, linux updates (225MB) down in five minutes, various 10MB or 20MB
    >packages in a few seconds, 350MB torrent files in twenty minutes, 1GB
    >torrent of rugby game in just over an hour....all at different times of
    >the day. Local and international. All this on my plain old 2M/128K $50 a
    >month plan which I've had for the last two or three years.
    >
    >Personally I think some half asleep tech at the exchange has accidentally
    >cross-wired me into someone elses super-duper full speed plan (although
    >my up-speed is still only 128K so who knows). Long may it last.
    >
    >Am I complaining...... :)
    >
    >Regards
    >Lodi

    At a guess, you have been cabinetised. So the length of copper from
    your house to the exchange now terminates at a roadside cabinet well
    less than 2 km away, and now you get maximum theoretical ADSL speed
    due to the short copper. Telecom has a program of cabinetisation
    underway covering large parts of the cities in NZ. Mine in Palmerston
    North is due on 17th August, and I am hoping it will put an end to
    over 5 reconnections a day.

    See here for details on the progress of cabinetisation:

    http://www.chorus.co.nz/cabinet-installation

    If your plain 2M/128K plan is like mine with Ihug, then it has not
    actually been limited to 2M for a very long time now, and has actually
    been limited by the ADSL connection speed.

    The 128K upload speed is still fixed to that though - my modem reports
    it is getting a 160K physical connection, and after overheads that
    translates to 128K of real data speed. So now that can be the
    limiting factor, as downloading at 4M plus can take more than 128K of
    ACK packets in the other direction to support it, especially with
    multiple connections which is required in NZ due to the large ping
    times from here to the rest of the world.

    Stephen Worthington, Aug 14, 2008
  7. EMB

    Lodi Guest

    Re: Latest Nvidia Drivers WHQL certification but very veryLarge..

    >On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 15:03:41 +0000, Stephen Worthington wrote:

    > At a guess, you have been cabinetised. So the length of copper from
    > your house to the exchange now terminates at a roadside cabinet well
    > less than 2 km away, and now you get maximum theoretical ADSL speed due
    > to the short copper. Telecom has a program of cabinetisation underway
    > covering large parts of the cities in NZ. Mine in Palmerston North is
    > due on 17th August, and I am hoping it will put an end to over 5
    > reconnections a day.
    >
    > See here for details on the progress of cabinetisation:
    >
    > http://www.chorus.co.nz/cabinet-installation
    >
    > If your plain 2M/128K plan is like mine with Ihug, then it has not
    > actually been limited to 2M for a very long time now, and has actually
    > been limited by the ADSL connection speed.
    >
    > The 128K upload speed is still fixed to that though - my modem reports
    > it is getting a 160K physical connection, and after overheads that
    > translates to 128K of real data speed. So now that can be the limiting
    > factor, as downloading at 4M plus can take more than 128K of ACK packets
    > in the other direction to support it, especially with multiple
    > connections which is required in NZ due to the large ping times from
    > here to the rest of the world.

    Interesting post, thanks Stephen. According to the link I'm yet to be
    cabinetised (Jan09) but what you describe is what it "feels" like has
    happened.

    Normal downloads peak out around the 5M range. Torrents seem to go even
    higher, epecially highly seeded torrents (no ack packs?).

    As I said earlier, for $50 a month I'm not complaining.

    Regards
    Lodi

    I'll

    Lodi, Aug 15, 2008