Re: Last Week at Yosemite

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Ray Fischer, Jul 16, 2011.

  1. Ray Fischer

    Ray Fischer Guest

    >Last week I took a few days to drive across to the mountains to see
    >what was happening up in the Sierras & Yosemite, as this Winter we had
    >the deepest snow pack in 40 years up there. So with the snow melt the
    >valley and all of the waterfalls were spectacular.
    >
    >Also driving in the higher elevations over Tioga Pass, we still had a
    >fair amount of snow on the ground and frozen lakes, in 75º Temps.
    >
    >Some of the usual suspects:
    >< http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/DNC_9246cw.jpg >
    >< http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/DNC_9264w.jpg >
    >< http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/DNC_9343w.jpg >

    I was there a month earlier, DURING some of the snow, when it was
    supposed to be 30 degrees warmer.

    http://rfischer.smugmug.com/Other/Yosemite/i-D626RZ3/0/XL/2011-05-1809-56-49-XL.jpg
    http://rfischer.smugmug.com/Other/Yosemite/i-RgLmdNG/0/XL/2011-05-1806-29-35B-XL.jpg
    http://rfischer.smugmug.com/Other/Yosemite/i-mPvT3F6/0/XL/2011-05-1813-36-53-XL.jpg
    http://rfischer.smugmug.com/Other/Yosemite/i-fdXznMw/0/XL/2011-05-1817-21-34-XL.jpg
    http://rfischer.smugmug.com/Other/Yosemite/i-S9ZxPHJ/0/XL/2011-05-1809-51-34-XL.jpg

    Ray Fischer, Jul 16, 2011

  2. Ray Fischer

    Ray Fischer Guest

    >On 2011-07-16 00:36:21 -0700, (Ray Fischer) said:

    >>> Last week I took a few days to drive across to the mountains to see
    >>> what was happening up in the Sierras & Yosemite, as this Winter we had
    >>> the deepest snow pack in 40 years up there. So with the snow melt the
    >>> valley and all of the waterfalls were spectacular.
    >>>
    >>> Also driving in the higher elevations over Tioga Pass, we still had a
    >>> fair amount of snow on the ground and frozen lakes, in 75º Temps.
    >>>
    >>> Some of the usual suspects:
    >>> < http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/DNC_9246cw.jpg >
    >>> < http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/DNC_9264w.jpg >
    >>> < http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/DNC_9343w.jpg >

    >> I was there a month earlier, DURING some of the snow, when it was
    >> supposed to be 30 degrees warmer.
    >>
    >> http://rfischer.smugmug.com/Other/Yosemite/i-D626RZ3/0/XL/2011-05-1809-56-49-XL.jpg

    >http://rfischer.smugmug.com/Other/Yosemite/i-RgLmdNG/0/XL/2011-05-1806-29-35B-XL.jpg
    >http://rfischer.smugmug.com/Other/Yosemite/i-mPvT3F6/0/XL/2011-05-1813-36-53-XL.jpg
    >http://rfischer.smugmug.com/Other/Yosemite/i-fdXznMw/0/XL/2011-05-1817-21-34-XL.jpg
    >http://rfischer.smugmug.com/Other/Yosemite/i-S9ZxPHJ/0/XL/2011-05-1809-51-34-XL.jpg
    >
    >Nice!
    >It
    >>

    >is always good to get up there regardless of the weather. I guess that
    >was before they opened Tioga Pass (120) and Glacier Point road.
    >
    >If I am not mistaken you were there when the North Side Drive was
    >flooded.

    I don't know when that was. It wasn't flooded when we were there mid-May.

    > The meadows would have been real soggy.

    Everything was real soggy, including us.

    >I usually try for the end of May, or October-November, but I had other
    >stuff happening.

    Mid May at Wawona is supposed to be warm with temperatures in the 80s.
    We got snow. The 2nd one above is from the campground.

    Ray Fischer, Jul 16, 2011

  3. Ray Fischer

    PeterN Guest

    On 7/16/2011 3:36 AM, Ray Fischer wrote:
    > Savageduck<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    >> Last week I took a few days to drive across to the mountains to see
    >> what was happening up in the Sierras& Yosemite, as this Winter we had
    >> the deepest snow pack in 40 years up there. So with the snow melt the
    >> valley and all of the waterfalls were spectacular.
    >>
    >> Also driving in the higher elevations over Tioga Pass, we still had a
    >> fair amount of snow on the ground and frozen lakes, in 75º Temps.
    >>
    >> Some of the usual suspects:
    >> < http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/DNC_9246cw.jpg>
    >> < http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/DNC_9264w.jpg>
    >> < http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/DNC_9343w.jpg>

    > I was there a month earlier, DURING some of the snow, when it was
    > supposed to be 30 degrees warmer.
    >
    > http://rfischer.smugmug.com/Other/Yosemite/i-D626RZ3/0/XL/2011-05-1809-56-49-XL.jpg
    > http://rfischer.smugmug.com/Other/Yosemite/i-RgLmdNG/0/XL/2011-05-1806-29-35B-XL.jpg
    > http://rfischer.smugmug.com/Other/Yosemite/i-mPvT3F6/0/XL/2011-05-1813-36-53-XL.jpg
    > http://rfischer.smugmug.com/Other/Yosemite/i-fdXznMw/0/XL/2011-05-1817-21-34-XL.jpg
    > http://rfischer.smugmug.com/Other/Yosemite/i-S9ZxPHJ/0/XL/2011-05-1809-51-34-XL.jpg

    They are a nice series of images that convey a sense of how you felt
    there. I like the second one which shows something of the wildness that
    dominates.

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, Jul 17, 2011
  4. Ray Fischer

    Ray Fischer Guest

    PeterN <> wrote:
    >On 7/16/2011 3:36 AM, Ray Fischer wrote:
    >> Savageduck<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    >>> Last week I took a few days to drive across to the mountains to see
    >>> what was happening up in the Sierras& Yosemite, as this Winter we had
    >>> the deepest snow pack in 40 years up there. So with the snow melt the
    >>> valley and all of the waterfalls were spectacular.
    >>>
    >>> Also driving in the higher elevations over Tioga Pass, we still had a
    >>> fair amount of snow on the ground and frozen lakes, in 75º Temps.
    >>>
    >>> Some of the usual suspects:
    >>> < http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/DNC_9246cw.jpg>
    >>> < http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/DNC_9264w.jpg>
    >>> < http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/DNC_9343w.jpg>

    >> I was there a month earlier, DURING some of the snow, when it was
    >> supposed to be 30 degrees warmer.
    >>
    >> http://rfischer.smugmug.com/Other/Yosemite/i-D626RZ3/0/XL/2011-05-1809-56-49-XL.jpg
    >> http://rfischer.smugmug.com/Other/Yosemite/i-RgLmdNG/0/XL/2011-05-1806-29-35B-XL.jpg
    >> http://rfischer.smugmug.com/Other/Yosemite/i-mPvT3F6/0/XL/2011-05-1813-36-53-XL.jpg
    >> http://rfischer.smugmug.com/Other/Yosemite/i-fdXznMw/0/XL/2011-05-1817-21-34-XL.jpg
    >> http://rfischer.smugmug.com/Other/Yosemite/i-S9ZxPHJ/0/XL/2011-05-1809-51-34-XL.jpg

    >They are a nice series of images that convey a sense of how you felt
    >there.

    Thanks. Yosemite has been photographed SO many times and I was trying
    to find something new to shoot. Something of the wildness of the
    place and not the standard coffee-table imagery.

    Another:
    http://rfischer.smugmug.com/Other/Yosemite/i-mVVtQ9X/0/XL/2011-05-1715-57-21-XL.jpg
    http://rfischer.smugmug.com/Other/Yosemite/i-L954hST/0/XL/2011-05-1813-41-24-XL.jpg

    > I like the second one which shows something of the wildness that
    >dominates.

    It's one of my favorites. We'd gotten a light dusting of snow during
    the night and I was up before the sun melted it. It's at the Wawona
    campground. That's the S. Fork of the Merced river.

    Ray Fischer, Jul 17, 2011