Re: Last Week at Yosemite

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by David Ruether, Jul 8, 2011.

  1. "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message news:
    201107081411027826-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom:
    > On 2011-07-08 13:47:32 -0700, "David Ruether" <> said:

    > > Yuh cain't name 'em all! BTW, do you know where the highest
    > > mountain from its visible base to its peak is - IN THE WORLD?
    > > It's Mt. Rainier, in Washington State (and it makes the US
    > > Rockies look rather "pip-squeaky" in comparison since they
    > > poke out above an already very high plateau). Do you know
    > > what the largest park is in the continental US? Nope. It
    > > is Adirondack State Park in NYS, into which the FIVE largest
    > > western national parks would all fit, with plenty of space left
    > > over!;-) Do you know where the highest straight-drop waterfalls
    > > is east of the Mississippi? It's just a couple of miles up
    > > the road from me, near Ithaca, NY, where there are so many
    > > glens and gorges and waterfalls, most of them go unnamed.
    > > As for Colorado, it has a favorite national park of mine,
    > > Black Canyon of the Gunnison, where you can hang your toes
    > > over the edge of a sheer vertical cliff of 2700 feet. Now
    > > THAT'S excitin'!;-) But wait, there's more! (Well, maybe for
    > > another time.....;-)
    > > --DR

    > Enough of the East-West thing.
    >
    > As far as Western mountains go, the Sierras and Cascades do a pretty
    > good job of the alpine thing.
    >
    > Then in upstate NY there are those two scenic overload areas, your
    > Finger Lakes district, and the Adirondacks. I am an old denizen of
    > Syracuse (down on North Genesee St.) and a year living outside Inlet on
    > the Fulton Chain of lakes, in the Adirondacks, East of Old Forge.
    >
    > ...and I still never get enough of Kings Canyon, Yosemite, or Zion.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Savageduck

    I didn't mean to imply that one area was better than another!;-)
    Almost all areas can be beautiful and great places to visit (even
    south-central Nevada and other places that people often make fun
    of...;-). Some places are spectacular, and some places have a
    "quiet beauty" that make take a bit more patience to appreciate.
    --DR
    David Ruether, Jul 8, 2011

  2. "David Ruether" <> wrote in message

    > I didn't mean to imply that one area was better than another!;-)
    > Almost all areas can be beautiful and great places to visit (even
    > south-central Nevada and other places that people often make fun
    > of...;-). Some places are spectacular, and some places have a
    > "quiet beauty" that make take a bit more patience to appreciate.

    That's a polite way of describing a shithole.

    --
    Charles E Hardwidge
    Charles E Hardwidge, Jul 9, 2011

  3. David Ruether

    notbob Guest

    On 2011-07-08, David Ruether <> wrote:

    > Almost all areas can be beautiful and great places to visit (even
    > south-central Nevada and other places that people often make fun
    > of...;-). Some places are spectacular, and some places have a
    > "quiet beauty" that make take a bit more patience to appreciate.

    Boy, that would defifinitely be NV!

    Make fun of it, I do. The sticks/stones/dirt state. Like a low
    budget post-apocalypse movie. OTOH, now that I have a good camera,
    I'd love to take Hwy 50 again and get shots of those vast expanses
    through the state. The ones where you come out of one group of hills
    to view a long, slightly concave, valley about 10-12 miles across, to
    the next group of hills. These valleys/bowls goes on, seemingly
    forever, one after the other. They can be quite beautiful in their
    own arid stark way, with that lone ribbon of highway bisecting that
    lonely valley into 2 halves of ....well, stick, stones, and dirt! ;)

    nb
    notbob, Jul 9, 2011
  4. "notbob" <> wrote in message news:
    :
    > On 2011-07-08, David Ruether <> wrote:

    > > Almost all areas can be beautiful and great places to visit (even
    > > south-central Nevada and other places that people often make fun
    > > of...;-). Some places are spectacular, and some places have a
    > > "quiet beauty" that may take a bit more patience to appreciate.

    > Boy, that would defifinitely be NV!
    >
    > Make fun of it, I do. The sticks/stones/dirt state. Like a low
    > budget post-apocalypse movie. OTOH, now that I have a good camera,
    > I'd love to take Hwy 50 again and get shots of those vast expanses
    > through the state. The ones where you come out of one group of hills
    > to view a long, slightly concave, valley about 10-12 miles across, to
    > the next group of hills. These valleys/bowls goes on, seemingly
    > forever, one after the other. They can be quite beautiful in their
    > own arid stark way, with that lone ribbon of highway bisecting that
    > lonely valley into 2 halves of ....well, stick, stones, and dirt! ;)
    >
    > nb

    So, yuh gits it, with that second-to-last sentence...!;-)
    --DR
    David Ruether, Jul 9, 2011
  5. "Charles E Hardwidge" <> wrote in message news:
    iv8rcf$l9l$:
    > "David Ruether" <> wrote in message

    > > I didn't mean to imply that one area was better than another!;-)
    > > Almost all areas can be beautiful and great places to visit (even
    > > south-central Nevada and other places that people often make fun
    > > of...;-). Some places are spectacular, and some places have a
    > > "quiet beauty" that may take a bit more patience to appreciate.

    > That's a polite way of describing a shithole.
    >
    > --
    > Charles E Hardwidge

    No, you didn't get the point. There are MANY, MANY places,
    that when observed with an other than a "let's-see-the-famous-
    and-major-land-features-only-and-all-the-rest-just-gets-in-
    the-way-of-getting-to-them-quickly" point of view, unexpected
    discoveries of beauty and interest can be made. For me, a few
    were a quirky little town in Nevada called Baker, with "post
    modern sculptures" lining the road and consisting mainly of
    parts of clothes-modeling manikins in various weird arrangements
    and stuck on fence posts and other places (and the 'Lectrolux
    motel and restaurant...;-), central Iowa farms in the late
    afternoon, driving the recently-new Rt. 86 through southern NYS
    with nothing but beautiful rolling hills, forests, and lakes
    (and no billboards or other signs, towns, restaurants, etc. -
    which does mean it's a bit of a challenge, but worth it for
    the continuously beautiful scenery during the drive), etc.
    Ooops, I hear the drumbeats of today's Dragon Boats races in
    the Cayuga Lake Inlet below my house - I guess I must put off
    picking and eating black raspberries and mulberries in the
    yard for a while...;-)
    --DR
    David Ruether, Jul 9, 2011
  6. David Ruether

    notbob Guest

    On 2011-07-09, David Ruether <> wrote:

    > So, yuh gits it, with that second-to-last sentence...!;-)
    > --DR

    Oh yeah. Been across NV more than a few times, both by rail and road.
    If there's anything REALLY ugly about NV, it's the towns. Barren
    dried out husks of humanity apparently oblivious to how they appear.
    I recall my last Hwy 50 trek, the first in several decades. I'd see
    brand new houses, beautiful homes of 3-5K sq ft, that looked grim
    jutting up out of their stark surroundings. Rock/dirt driveway,
    rock/dirt front/back yard, rock/dirt landscaping, Walmart junk
    scattered around. Almost like they didn't care, as long as the
    building looked good. And no sense of art to it. Not like anyone
    chose a NM adobe style architecture or a hacienda layout that would make
    sense. No, jes mainstreet USA suburbia-deco that looks as out of place
    as an igloo on a sand dune. Very bizarre. I guess it all seems OK as
    long as there is enough neon after the sun goes down. ;)

    nb
    notbob, Jul 9, 2011
  7. "David Ruether" <> wrote in message
    > "Charles E Hardwidge" <> wrote in message news:
    > iv8rcf$l9l$:
    >> "David Ruether" <> wrote in message

    >> > I didn't mean to imply that one area was better than another!;-)
    >> > Almost all areas can be beautiful and great places to visit (even
    >> > south-central Nevada and other places that people often make fun
    >> > of...;-). Some places are spectacular, and some places have a
    >> > "quiet beauty" that may take a bit more patience to appreciate.

    >> That's a polite way of describing a shithole.

    > No, you didn't get the point.

    I did. It was a cynical joke with a Buddhist spin.

    --
    Charles E Hardwidge
    Charles E Hardwidge, Jul 9, 2011
  8. "Charles E Hardwidge" <> wrote in message news:
    iv9nv2$bm0$:
    > "David Ruether" <> wrote in message
    > > "Charles E Hardwidge" <> wrote in message news:
    > > iv8rcf$l9l$:
    > >> "David Ruether" <> wrote in message

    > >> That's a polite way of describing a shithole.

    > > No, you didn't get the point.

    > I did. It was a cynical joke with a Buddhist spin.
    > --
    > Charles E Hardwidge

    Ummm....;-)
    --DR
    David Ruether, Jul 9, 2011
  9. "David Ruether" <> wrote in message
    > "Charles E Hardwidge" <> wrote in message news:
    > iv9nv2$bm0$:
    >> "David Ruether" <> wrote in message
    >> > "Charles E Hardwidge" <> wrote in message news:
    >> > iv8rcf$l9l$:

    >> > No, you didn't get the point.

    >> I did. It was a cynical joke with a Buddhist spin.

    > Ummm....;-)

    If I ever get around to writing The Great Novel I'll have to remember to
    steal your line. It was quite good.

    --
    Charles E Hardwidge
    Charles E Hardwidge, Jul 9, 2011
  10. "Charles E Hardwidge" <> wrote in message news:
    iv9s6m$66s$:
    > "David Ruether" <> wrote in message
    > > "Charles E Hardwidge" <> wrote in message news:
    > > iv9nv2$bm0$:
    > >> "David Ruether" <> wrote in message

    > >> I did. It was a cynical joke with a Buddhist spin.

    > > Ummm....;-)

    > If I ever get around to writing The Great Novel I'll have to remember to
    > steal your line. It was quite good.
    >
    > --
    > Charles E Hardwidge

    8^)
    But, if the truth be told, it was merely a "happy accident",
    with nothing more behind it...;-)
    --DR
    David Ruether, Jul 9, 2011
  11. "David Ruether" <> wrote in message

    > "Charles E Hardwidge" <> wrote in message news:
    > iv9s6m$66s$:
    >> "David Ruether" <> wrote in message
    >> > "Charles E Hardwidge" <> wrote in message news:
    >> > iv9nv2$bm0$:

    >> > Ummm....;-)

    >> If I ever get around to writing The Great Novel I'll have to remember to
    >> steal your line. It was quite good.

    > 8^)
    > But, if the truth be told, it was merely a "happy accident",
    > with nothing more behind it...;-)

    I can think of a few camp replies but an alternative is Napoleon saying he
    didn't want competent generals he wanted lucky generals.

    Accident away, dear boy.

    --
    Charles E Hardwidge
    Charles E Hardwidge, Jul 9, 2011
  12. David Ruether

    John Turco Guest

    David Ruether wrote:

    <heavily edited for brevity>

    > There are MANY, MANY places, that when observed with an other than a "let's-see-
    > the-famous-and-major-land-features-only-and-all-the-rest-just-gets-in-the-way-
    > of-getting-to-them-quickly" point of view, unexpected discoveries of beauty and
    > interest can be made.

    <edited>

    What do you think of Nebraska? (It probably isn't considered very photogenic,
    I'd guess.)

    --
    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Jul 15, 2011
  13. "John Turco" <> wrote in message news:
    :
    > David Ruether wrote:

    > <heavily edited for brevity>
    >
    > > There are MANY, MANY places, that when observed with an other than a "let's-see-
    > > the-famous-and-major-land-features-only-and-all-the-rest-just-gets-in-the-way-
    > > of-getting-to-them-quickly" point of view, unexpected discoveries of beauty and
    > > interest can be made.

    > <edited>

    > What do you think of Nebraska? (It probably isn't considered very photogenic,
    > I'd guess.)
    > --
    > Cordially,
    > John Turco <>

    Well, if you would consider the flatter areas of Montana a suitable
    substitute, a friend does some wonderful photographic work with
    that...;-)
    http://www.stephenlehmer.com/
    http://www.stephenlehmer.com/Montana Hi-Line/Montana Hi-Line.html
    http://www.stephenlehmer.com/Central Montana/Central Montana.html
    --DR
    David Ruether, Jul 16, 2011
  14. David Ruether

    John Turco Guest

    David Ruether wrote:

    > > "John Turco" <> wrote in message news:
    > > > David Ruether wrote:

    > > <heavily edited for brevity>
    > >
    > > > There are MANY, MANY places, that when observed with an other than a "let's-see-
    > > > the-famous-and-major-land-features-only-and-all-the-rest-just-gets-in-the-way-
    > > > of-getting-to-them-quickly" point of view, unexpected discoveries of beauty and
    > > > interest can be made.

    > > <edited>
    > >
    > > What do you think of Nebraska? (It probably isn't considered very photogenic,
    > > I'd guess.)

    > Well, if you would consider the flatter areas of Montana a suitable
    > substitute, a friend does some wonderful photographic work with
    > that...;-)

    Yer coppin' out on me, are ya?

    > http://www.stephenlehmer.com/
    > http://www.stephenlehmer.com/Montana Hi-Line/Montana Hi-Line.html
    > http://www.stephenlehmer.com/Central Montana/Central Montana.html
    > --DR

    Seriously, those are some pretty nice pix that you linked to. They help
    show there's natural beauty in every place on earth, if one knows where
    to look for it.

    --
    Cordially,
    John Turco <>