Re: Last Week at Yosemite

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by David Ruether, Jul 8, 2011.

  1. "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message news:
    201107072334127987-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom:

    > Last week I took a few days to drive across to the mountains to see
    > what was happening up in the Sierras & Yosemite, as this Winter we had
    > the deepest snow pack in 40 years up there. So with the snow melt the
    > valley and all of the waterfalls were spectacular.
    >
    > Also driving in the higher elevations over Tioga Pass, we still had a
    > fair amount of snow on the ground and frozen lakes, in 75º Temps.
    >
    > Some of the usual suspects:
    > < http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/DNC_9246cw.jpg >
    > < http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/DNC_9264w.jpg >
    > < http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/DNC_9343w.jpg >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Savageduck

    V-E-R-Y NICE!
    Seems lately that when I tried to get into Yosemite
    the roads still had about 25' of snow on them, darn...
    OK, I can't help bragging (although now I need two canes
    to walk up slight inclines...), but back in my (MUCH!)
    younger days, I climbed to the top of Yosemite Falls(!!!).
    OK, more bragging: I also climbed down to Phantom Ranch
    at the bottom of Grand Canyon (and back up...;-). Sigh...!
    --DR
    David Ruether, Jul 8, 2011

  2. David Ruether

    PeterN Guest

    On 7/8/2011 5:17 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2011-07-08 14:00:36 -0700, "David Ruether" <> said:
    >

    >> "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message news:
    >> 201107072334127987-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom:
    >>
    >>> Last week I took a few days to drive across to the mountains to see
    >>> what was happening up in the Sierras & Yosemite, as this Winter we had
    >>> the deepest snow pack in 40 years up there. So with the snow melt the
    >>> valley and all of the waterfalls were spectacular.
    >>>
    >>> Also driving in the higher elevations over Tioga Pass, we still had a
    >>> fair amount of snow on the ground and frozen lakes, in 75º Temps.
    >>>
    >>> Some of the usual suspects:
    >>> < http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/DNC_9246cw.jpg >
    >>> < http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/DNC_9264w.jpg >
    >>> < http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/DNC_9343w.jpg >
    >>> --
    >>> Regards,
    >>>
    >>> Savageduck

    >> V-E-R-Y NICE!
    >> Seems lately that when I tried to get into Yosemite
    >> the roads still had about 25' of snow on them, darn...
    >> OK, I can't help bragging (although now I need two canes
    >> to walk up slight inclines...), but back in my (MUCH!)
    >> younger days, I climbed to the top of Yosemite Falls(!!!).
    >> OK, more bragging: I also climbed down to Phantom Ranch
    >> at the bottom of Grand Canyon (and back up...;-). Sigh...!
    >> --DR

    > Yup! the fitness of youth.
    > sigh!

    Agreed. In my very much younger days I did that in one day, with just
    six oranges in a hip pack. 2/3 of the way up I came across some guy who
    was wiped and gave him my last orange.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Jul 9, 2011

  3. "PeterN" <> wrote in message news:
    4e179b9f$0$12452$-secrets.com:
    > On 7/8/2011 5:17 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    > > On 2011-07-08 14:00:36 -0700, "David Ruether" <> said:
    > >> "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message news:
    > >> 201107072334127987-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom:

    > >> V-E-R-Y NICE!
    > >> Seems lately that when I tried to get into Yosemite
    > >> the roads still had about 25' of snow on them, darn...
    > >> OK, I can't help bragging (although now I need two canes
    > >> to walk up slight inclines...), but back in my (MUCH!)
    > >> younger days, I climbed to the top of Yosemite Falls(!!!).
    > >> OK, more bragging: I also climbed down to Phantom Ranch
    > >> at the bottom of Grand Canyon (and back up...;-). Sigh...!
    > >> --DR

    > > Yup! the fitness of youth.
    > > sigh!

    > Agreed. In my very much younger days I did that in one day, with just
    > six oranges in a hip pack. 2/3 of the way up I came across some guy who
    > was wiped and gave him my last orange.
    >
    > --
    > Peter

    For me, not only did I foolishly not carry any food (and the
    quart of orange juice started leaking so I tilted and stashed
    the remains behind a rock near the top for the return trip),
    but I thought it would be "neat" to take a frame of 8mm movie
    film every 15' or so (***S -- L -- O -- W ! ! ! ! trip***,
    until I stopped doing that!), and the nails in my old shoes were
    poking into my heels. These made the trip down two days, but
    I came out in 6 1/2 hours(!!!). I did hear of a rather elderly
    woman who took the round trip up and down to Phantom Ranch
    every day for her mail(!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!). YIKES!
    --DR
    David Ruether, Jul 9, 2011