Re: Last Week at Yosemite

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Whisky-dave, Jul 8, 2011.

  1. Whisky-dave

    Whisky-dave Guest

    On Jul 8, 7:34 am, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    > Last week I took a few days to drive across to the mountains to see
    > what was happening up in the Sierras & Yosemite,

    Roughly how far is this drive, just curious..

    as this Winter we had
    > the deepest snow pack in 40 years up there. So with the snow melt the
    > valley and all of the waterfalls were spectacular.
    >
    > Also driving in the higher elevations over Tioga Pass, we still had a
    > fair amount of snow on the ground and frozen lakes, in 75º Temps.
    >
    > Some of the usual suspects:
    > <http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/DNC_9246cw.jpg>
    > <http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/DNC_9264w.jpg>
    > <http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/DNC_9343w.jpg>

    Nice photos it does look like a good place to take photos. Maybe I
    should venture out of the city,(London)
    but I'd miss the conctete ;-)
    Whisky-dave, Jul 8, 2011

  2. Whisky-dave

    PeterN Guest

    On 7/8/2011 9:27 AM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2011-07-08 05:30:04 -0700, Whisky-dave <> said:
    >
    >> On Jul 8, 7:34 am, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    >>> Last week I took a few days to drive across to the mountains to see
    >>> what was happening up in the Sierras & Yosemite,

    >> Roughly how far is this drive, just curious..

    > According to Google Maps 216 miles (348Km) from my driveway to Yosemite
    > National Park.
    > < http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/PR-YNPbw.jpg >

    I have a slightly longer trip, 2,816 miles

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Jul 8, 2011

  3. Whisky-dave

    PeterN Guest

    On 7/8/2011 9:54 AM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2011-07-08 06:49:02 -0700, PeterN <> said:

    >>> According to Google Maps 216 miles (348Km) from my driveway to Yosemite
    >>> National Park.
    >>> < http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/PR-YNPbw.jpg >
    >>>

    >> I have a slightly longer trip, 2,816 miles

    > Well gas up and hit the road!
    >
    > I suspect it would be a mite further for W-Dave, and he would get his
    > feet wet. ;-)

    We've been talking about it. The problem is that flying is such a PITA.
    Last Summer some of my friends took the train to Chitown, rented a van
    and went to several of the western National Parks.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Jul 8, 2011
  4. "PeterN" <> wrote in message news:
    4e1716c4$0$12452$-secrets.com:
    > On 7/8/2011 9:54 AM, Savageduck wrote:

    > >> I have a slightly longer trip, 2,816 miles

    > > Well gas up and hit the road!
    > >
    > > I suspect it would be a mite further for W-Dave, and he would get his
    > > feet wet. ;-)

    > We've been talking about it. The problem is that flying is such a PITA.
    > Last Summer some of my friends took the train to Chitown, rented a van
    > and went to several of the western National Parks.
    > --
    > Peter

    I've been across the US (NYS - California) several times by car,
    visiting mostly the western parks, on trips lasting up to three
    months. More recently, though, a friend and I have taken a couple
    of trips to that area by flying into Las Vegas and renting a car
    and making a great loop through the western parks. Not that I
    don't like Iowa, etc., but the "real" scenery is either in some
    of the NE or in much of the SE of the US (but DO INCLUDE the
    Canadian Rockies and the Maritimes if you can! ;-).
    --DR
    David Ruether, Jul 8, 2011
  5. Whisky-dave

    GMAN Guest

    In article <iv7774$r68$>, "David Ruether" <> wrote:

    >"PeterN" <> wrote in message news:
    >4e1716c4$0$12452$-secrets.com:

    >> > Well gas up and hit the road!
    >> >
    >> > I suspect it would be a mite further for W-Dave, and he would get his
    >> > feet wet. ;-)

    >> We've been talking about it. The problem is that flying is such a PITA.
    >> Last Summer some of my friends took the train to Chitown, rented a van
    >> and went to several of the western National Parks.
    >> --
    >> Peter

    >I've been across the US (NYS - California) several times by car,
    >visiting mostly the western parks, on trips lasting up to three
    >months. More recently, though, a friend and I have taken a couple
    >of trips to that area by flying into Las Vegas and renting a car
    >and making a great loop through the western parks. Not that I
    >don't like Iowa, etc., but the "real" scenery is either in some
    >of the NE or in much of the SE of the US (but DO INCLUDE the
    >Canadian Rockies and the Maritimes if you can! ;-).
    >--DR

    Those of us in the real west, Utah west to the pacific coast, dont consider
    Iowa "west". Did you ever visit Zions? Or Brice Canyon, Or Arches, or Valley
    of The Gods?
    GMAN, Jul 8, 2011
  6. Whisky-dave

    notbob Guest

    On 2011-07-08, GMAN <> wrote:

    > Those of us in the real west, Utah west to the pacific coast.....

    As if to larf.

    As a "real" westerner, I can assure you "the real
    west" includes the Rocky Mountain states, like NM, CO, MT, and WY.
    I currently live in the CO Rockies at 8K ft elev and I'm here to tell
    you it's definitely part of "the real west".

    nb --native CA'n
    notbob, Jul 8, 2011
  7. Whisky-dave

    GMAN Guest

    In article <>, notbob <> wrote:
    >On 2011-07-08, GMAN <> wrote:
    >
    >> Those of us in the real west, Utah west to the pacific coast.....

    >As if to larf.
    >
    >As a "real" westerner, I can assure you "the real
    >west" includes the Rocky Mountain states, like NM, CO, MT, and WY.
    >I currently live in the CO Rockies at 8K ft elev and I'm here to tell
    >you it's definitely part of "the real west".
    >
    >nb --native CA'n

    I know, yes you guys are part of the real west. I was trying to say that Iowa
    is not.

    You left out Idaho!!!
    GMAN, Jul 8, 2011
    TOGRp.74945$1.easynews.com:

    <> wrote:

    > >I've been across the US (NYS - California) several times by car,
    > >visiting mostly the western parks, on trips lasting up to three
    > >months. More recently, though, a friend and I have taken a couple
    > >of trips to that area by flying into Las Vegas and renting a car
    > >and making a great loop through the western parks. Not that I
    > >don't like Iowa, etc., but the "real" scenery is either in some
    > >of the NE or in much of the SE of the US (but DO INCLUDE the
    > >Canadian Rockies and the Maritimes if you can! ;-).
    > >--DR

    > Those of us in the real west, Utah west to the pacific coast, dont consider
    > Iowa "west". Did you ever visit Zions? Or Brice Canyon, Or Arches, or Valley
    > of The Gods?

    Huh?!?!
    Did you actually read what I wrote?!?!?!?!? 8^)
    --DR
    David Ruether, Jul 8, 2011
  9. "GMAN" <> wrote in message news:
    v8IRp.78858$1.easynews.com:
    > In article <>, notbob <> wrote:
    > >On 2011-07-08, GMAN <> wrote:

    > >> Those of us in the real west, Utah west to the pacific coast.....

    > >As if to larf.
    > >
    > >As a "real" westerner, I can assure you "the real
    > >west" includes the Rocky Mountain states, like NM, CO, MT, and WY.
    > >I currently live in the CO Rockies at 8K ft elev and I'm here to tell
    > >you it's definitely part of "the real west".
    > >
    > >nb --native CA'n

    > I know, yes you guys are part of the real west. I was trying to say
    > that Iowa is not.

    Um, who said it was...?;-)

    > You left out Idaho!!!

    Yuh cain't name 'em all! BTW, do you know where the highest
    mountain from its visible base to its peak is - IN THE WORLD?
    It's Mt. Rainier, in Washington State (and it makes the US
    Rockies look rather "pip-squeaky" in comparison since they
    poke out above an already very high plateau). Do you know
    what the largest park is in the continental US? Nope. It
    is Adirondack State Park in NYS, into which the FIVE largest
    western national parks would all fit, with plenty of space left
    over!;-) Do you know where the highest straight-drop waterfalls
    is east of the Mississippi? It's just a couple of miles up
    the road from me, near Ithaca, NY, where there are so many
    glens and gorges and waterfalls, most of them go unnamed.
    As for Colorado, it has a favorite national park of mine,
    Black Canyon of the Gunnison, where you can hang your toes
    over the edge of a sheer vertical cliff of 2700 feet. Now
    THAT'S excitin'!;-) But wait, there's more! (Well, maybe for
    another time.....;-)
    --DR
    David Ruether, Jul 8, 2011
  10. Whisky-dave

    notbob Guest

    On 2011-07-08, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    > On 2011-07-08 13:47:32 -0700, "David Ruether" <> said:

    >> Rockies look rather "pip-squeaky" in comparison since they

    You've obviously missed some parts of the Rockies.

    > As far as Western mountains go, the Sierras and Cascades do a pretty
    > good job of the alpine thing.

    I grew up stomping around the CA Sierra-Nevadas. I know the Tahoe to
    Yosemite area like the back of my hand. I used to think the Sierras
    were much grander than the Rockies. I now live in the central CO
    Rockies. I was wrong. There are places, here, that actually scare
    me! ;)

    nb
    notbob, Jul 8, 2011
  11. Whisky-dave

    PeterN Guest

    On 7/8/2011 1:06 PM, GMAN wrote:
    > In article<iv7774$r68$>, "David Ruether"<> wrote:
    >>

    >> "PeterN"<> wrote in message news:
    >> 4e1716c4$0$12452$-secrets.com:

    >>> We've been talking about it. The problem is that flying is such a PITA.
    >>> Last Summer some of my friends took the train to Chitown, rented a van
    >>> and went to several of the western National Parks.
    >>> --
    >>> Peter

    >> I've been across the US (NYS - California) several times by car,
    >> visiting mostly the western parks, on trips lasting up to three
    >> months. More recently, though, a friend and I have taken a couple
    >> of trips to that area by flying into Las Vegas and renting a car
    >> and making a great loop through the western parks. Not that I
    >> don't like Iowa, etc., but the "real" scenery is either in some
    >> of the NE or in much of the SE of the US (but DO INCLUDE the
    >> Canadian Rockies and the Maritimes if you can! ;-).
    >> --DR
    >>

    > Those of us in the real west, Utah west to the pacific coast, dont consider
    > Iowa "west". Did you ever visit Zions? Or Brice Canyon, Or Arches, or Valley
    > of The Gods?

    They are very high for at least two trips each, on my bucket list.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Jul 9, 2011
  12. Whisky-dave

    PeterN Guest

    On 7/8/2011 11:20 AM, David Ruether wrote:

    > "PeterN" <> wrote in message news:
    > 4e1716c4$0$12452$-secrets.com:
    >> On 7/8/2011 9:54 AM, Savageduck wrote:

    >> Yosemite

    >> > Well gas up and hit the road!
    >> >
    >> > I suspect it would be a mite further for W-Dave, and he would get his
    >> > feet wet. ;-)

    >> We've been talking about it. The problem is that flying is such a PITA.
    >> Last Summer some of my friends took the train to Chitown, rented a van
    >> and went to several of the western National Parks.
    >> --
    >> Peter

    > I've been across the US (NYS - California) several times by car,
    > visiting mostly the western parks, on trips lasting up to three
    > months. More recently, though, a friend and I have taken a couple
    > of trips to that area by flying into Las Vegas and renting a car
    > and making a great loop through the western parks. Not that I
    > don't like Iowa, etc., but the "real" scenery is either in some
    > of the NE or in much of the SE of the US (but DO INCLUDE the
    > Canadian Rockies and the Maritimes if you can! ;-).
    > --DR

    Have made several trips to the Maritimes. We try to take a lot of four &
    five day trips in the North East, especially the Berkshires. Our next is
    scheduled for an NECCC event at Amherst MA, and onward to Maine for a
    few days. If things go well health wise, we will be in your neck of the
    woods in October.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Jul 9, 2011
  13. Whisky-dave

    PeterN Guest

    On 7/8/2011 8:19 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2011-07-08 17:00:09 -0700, PeterN <> said:
    >
    >> On 7/8/2011 1:06 PM, GMAN wrote:

    >>> Those of us in the real west, Utah west to the pacific coast, dont
    >>> consider
    >>> Iowa "west". Did you ever visit Zions? Or Brice Canyon, Or Arches, or
    >>> Valley
    >>> of The Gods?
    >>>

    >> They are very high for at least two trips each, on my bucket list.

    > Zion NP is a must. Then adding Bryce Canyon and the North Rim of the
    > Grand Canyon makes for a great triple hit in that region.
    > ...and if you are going to visit the North Rim, a detour to LAke Powell
    > and a couple of days house boat rental will take you into some canyons
    > and hidden nooks & crannies which can only be reached from the water.
    > < http://www.lake-powell-houseboat-rentals.com/photo-gallery.shtml >
    >
    > The North rim is very different to the much viewed South rim. Zion is
    > just an amazing place which I find so much more appealing than the South
    > Rim of the Grand Canyon.
    >
    > So many places to see, .....
    > Some of them again, and again.

    thanks for the info. I was at the North rim by Helicopter. That was a
    great way to view, but not photograph, the Canyon. (I was too busy
    enjoying the views.)

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Jul 9, 2011
  14. "PeterN" <> wrote in message news:
    4e17a196$0$12484$-secrets.com:

    > Have made several trips to the Maritimes. We try to take a lot of four &
    > five day trips in the North East, especially the Berkshires. Our next is
    > scheduled for an NECCC event at Amherst MA, and onward to Maine for a
    > few days. If things go well health wise, we will be in your neck of the
    > woods in October.
    >
    > --
    > Peter

    Contact me if you want, but be forewarned: I just took
    some friends from Tucson on a partial tour of the local
    state parks, and it took five days to get to Taughannock
    Falls, Watkins Glen, Buttermilk, and Robert Treman State
    Parks plus Fall Creek Gorge, Ithaca Falls (Cascadilla
    Glen was still closed after a rock slide, darn), a dinner
    boat cruise on Cayuga Lake, some Cornell flower and herb
    gardens and their Plantation areas and Beebe Lake (many
    natural-area trails are also on Cornell land). October
    *CAN* be a nice time to visit here...;-) Also, be
    forewarned that I "travel" relatively slowly now on two
    canes (but I can almost keep up...;-).
    --DR
    David Ruether, Jul 9, 2011
  15. Whisky-dave

    PeterN Guest

    On 7/9/2011 10:28 AM, David Ruether wrote:

    > "PeterN" <> wrote in message news:
    > 4e17a196$0$12484$-secrets.com:
    >
    >> Have made several trips to the Maritimes. We try to take a lot of four &
    >> five day trips in the North East, especially the Berkshires. Our next is
    >> scheduled for an NECCC event at Amherst MA, and onward to Maine for a
    >> few days. If things go well health wise, we will be in your neck of the
    >> woods in October.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Peter

    > Contact me if you want, but be forewarned: I just took
    > some friends from Tucson on a partial tour of the local
    > state parks, and it took five days to get to Taughannock
    > Falls, Watkins Glen, Buttermilk, and Robert Treman State
    > Parks plus Fall Creek Gorge, Ithaca Falls (Cascadilla
    > Glen was still closed after a rock slide, darn), a dinner
    > boat cruise on Cayuga Lake, some Cornell flower and herb
    > gardens and their Plantation areas and Beebe Lake (many
    > natural-area trails are also on Cornell land). October
    > *CAN* be a nice time to visit here...;-) Also, be
    > forewarned that I "travel" relatively slowly now on two
    > canes (but I can almost keep up...;-).
    > --DR

    My wife, who will probably go will not do any hiking. We only see what
    can be viewed from the road, unless I find a safe parking spot and leave
    her for about an hour.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Jul 9, 2011
  16. "PeterN" <> wrote in message news:
    4e187552$0$12468$-secrets.com:
    > On 7/9/2011 10:28 AM, David Ruether wrote:
    > > "PeterN" <> wrote in message news:
    > > 4e17a196$0$12484$-secrets.com:

    > >> Have made several trips to the Maritimes. We try to take a lot of four &
    > >> five day trips in the North East, especially the Berkshires. Our next is
    > >> scheduled for an NECCC event at Amherst MA, and onward to Maine for a
    > >> few days. If things go well health wise, we will be in your neck of the
    > >> woods in October.
    > >> --
    > >> Peter

    > > Contact me if you want, but be forewarned: I just took
    > > some friends from Tucson on a partial tour of the local
    > > state parks, and it took five days to get to Taughannock
    > > Falls, Watkins Glen, Buttermilk, and Robert Treman State
    > > Parks plus Fall Creek Gorge, Ithaca Falls (Cascadilla
    > > Glen was still closed after a rock slide, darn), a dinner
    > > boat cruise on Cayuga Lake, some Cornell flower and herb
    > > gardens and their Plantation areas and Beebe Lake (many
    > > natural-area trails are also on Cornell land). October
    > > *CAN* be a nice time to visit here...;-) Also, be
    > > forewarned that I "travel" relatively slowly now on two
    > > canes (but I can almost keep up...;-).
    > > --DR

    > My wife, who will probably go will not do any hiking. We only see what
    > can be viewed from the road, unless I find a safe parking spot and leave
    > her for about an hour.
    > --
    > Peter

    Both are available. The state parks have gated guarded lots, and
    some overlooks or viewpoints that require VERY little walking
    (Taughannock Falls, Upper Taughannock Falls, Lower Buttermilk Falls
    plus Ithaca Falls and locations on the Cornell campus on weekends).
    Most of the other trails with good views are less than an hour to
    cover, and are beautiful along the way (Upper Treman especially).
    Longer hikes are the amazing Watkins Glen (you walk behind two
    waterfalls) and the gorge floor walk to Taughannock Falls (level).
    BTW, I forgot to mention earlier, Cornell's bird sanctuary...
    --DR
    David Ruether, Jul 9, 2011
  17. Whisky-dave

    PeterN Guest

    On 7/9/2011 11:53 AM, David Ruether wrote:

    > "PeterN" <> wrote in message news:
    > 4e187552$0$12468$-secrets.com:
    >> On 7/9/2011 10:28 AM, David Ruether wrote:
    >> > "PeterN" <> wrote in message news:
    >> > 4e17a196$0$12484$-secrets.com:

    >> four &

    >> next is

    >> the

    >> > Contact me if you want, but be forewarned: I just took
    >> > some friends from Tucson on a partial tour of the local
    >> > state parks, and it took five days to get to Taughannock
    >> > Falls, Watkins Glen, Buttermilk, and Robert Treman State
    >> > Parks plus Fall Creek Gorge, Ithaca Falls (Cascadilla
    >> > Glen was still closed after a rock slide, darn), a dinner
    >> > boat cruise on Cayuga Lake, some Cornell flower and herb
    >> > gardens and their Plantation areas and Beebe Lake (many
    >> > natural-area trails are also on Cornell land). October
    >> > *CAN* be a nice time to visit here...;-) Also, be
    >> > forewarned that I "travel" relatively slowly now on two
    >> > canes (but I can almost keep up...;-).
    >> > --DR

    >> My wife, who will probably go will not do any hiking. We only see what
    >> can be viewed from the road, unless I find a safe parking spot and leave
    >> her for about an hour.
    >> --
    >> Peter

    > Both are available. The state parks have gated guarded lots, and
    > some overlooks or viewpoints that require VERY little walking
    > (Taughannock Falls, Upper Taughannock Falls, Lower Buttermilk Falls
    > plus Ithaca Falls and locations on the Cornell campus on weekends).
    > Most of the other trails with good views are less than an hour to
    > cover, and are beautiful along the way (Upper Treman especially).
    > Longer hikes are the amazing Watkins Glen (you walk behind two
    > waterfalls) and the gorge floor walk to Taughannock Falls (level).
    > BTW, I forgot to mention earlier, Cornell's bird sanctuary...
    > --DR

    I have a thing about waterfalls and will let you know if we go.

    BTW the meeting at Amherst is an educational bargain. You do not have to
    be a member and it is about four hours from your area.

    http://www.neccc.org/

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Jul 9, 2011
  18. "PeterN" <> wrote in message news:
    4e187e89$0$12449$-secrets.com:
    > On 7/9/2011 11:53 AM, David Ruether wrote:
    > > "PeterN" <> wrote in message news:
    > > 4e187552$0$12468$-secrets.com:

    > >> My wife, who will probably go will not do any hiking. We only see what
    > >> can be viewed from the road, unless I find a safe parking spot and leave
    > >> her for about an hour.
    > >> --
    > >> Peter

    > > Both are available. The state parks have gated guarded lots, and
    > > some overlooks or viewpoints that require VERY little walking
    > > (Taughannock Falls, Upper Taughannock Falls, Lower Buttermilk Falls
    > > plus Ithaca Falls and locations on the Cornell campus on weekends).
    > > Most of the other trails with good views are less than an hour to
    > > cover, and are beautiful along the way (Upper Treman especially).
    > > Longer hikes are the amazing Watkins Glen (you walk behind two
    > > waterfalls) and the gorge floor walk to Taughannock Falls (level).
    > > BTW, I forgot to mention earlier, Cornell's bird sanctuary...
    > > --DR

    > I have a thing about waterfalls and will let you know if we go.
    >
    > BTW the meeting at Amherst is an educational bargain. You do not have to
    > be a member and it is about four hours from your area.
    >
    > http://www.neccc.org/
    >
    > --
    > Peter

    Thanks.