Re: Large hard drive NTFS vs FAT32

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Paul, Mar 29, 2010.

  1. Paul

    Paul Guest

    James D. Andrews wrote:
    > I'm coming across so much conflicting information out there with more
    > details than I need. I'm not looking for NTFS vs. FAT32 pros & cons.
    >
    > Simply put: What is the maximum HDD size FAT32 can handle? If I get a
    > 500GB-1TB drive, must I use NTFS?
    >
    > (Win XP)
    >
    > Thanks

    With this utility, you can make your FAT32 as big as you want.

    http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?fat32format.htm

    http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/download/fat32format.zip

    The article here says:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fat32#FAT32

    "limiting volume size to 2 TiB on a hard disk with 512 byte sectors"

    HTH,
    Paul
    Paul, Mar 29, 2010