Re: Laptop won't type numbers

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Adam Leinss, Jun 9, 2005.

  1. Adam Leinss

    Adam Leinss Guest

    Mike Barry <> wrote in

    > I had a friend just call me and she can't get her laptop to
    > type any numbers. It just keeps typing the ! and @ and #, etc., for
    > numbers 1,2.3. Same thing for all the rest of the numbers.
    >
    > It's a Dell laptop, and since I don't use laptops I was
    > wondering what key she needs to press in order to turn this off.

    That's the number lock feature. Because of the limited space on a
    laptop keyboard keys are setup for double duty. On the HP/Compaq
    laptops you have to hold down a "Fn" key and then look for the words
    "Num Lock" in blue letters to toggle it back and forth.

    I know this by heart because I gotten many calls from nursing staff
    experiencing the same problem. So when I re-did the wireless laptops I
    made sure to turn off the number lock feature in the system and user
    profiles!!!

    Adam
    Adam Leinss, Jun 9, 2005

  2. Adam Leinss

    rainman Guest

    rainman, Jun 9, 2005

  3. Adam Leinss

    Adam Leinss Guest

    rainman <> wrote in

    > The issue isn't likely to be a Num Lock issue, as it seems the top
    > row keys are the ones not responding... not the number keypad
    > (function keys). The top row should work regardless of the status
    > of numlock, unless of course the keyboard is malfunctioning...
    > stuck key (shift?) etc...

    That's what I get for reading too fast!

    Adam
    Adam Leinss, Jun 9, 2005