Re: Laptop - Toshiba vs Compaq

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Alastair McAllister, Jan 9, 2005.

  1. In <> Gurble wrote:

    > On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 18:40:07 +1300, will <> had
    > this to say:

    >>i'm looking to buy a laptop, build quality and reliability are quite
    >>important to me.

    <snip>
    >>does anyone have experience on any of the two? thanks

    > Unfortunately (IMO) if you put Compaq in the same sentence as
    > "quality" and "reliability", you almost always end up with an
    > oxymoron, unless there is a "not" in there somewhere...
    > I'd go for the Toshiba any day of the week.

    Agreed. I used to sell a large number of Compaq desktops when I worked
    in retail and they had a DOA rate of over 10%.

    I never sold any Compaq laptops, but a friend of mine had endless
    problems with his a couple of years ago. To cut a long story short,
    after about six months of the warranty agent repeatedly replacing
    various components to no avail, the retailer finally conceded defeat and
    replaced the machine outright.

    --
    Regards, Alastair.
    Wellington, New Zealand

    Any views expressed in this posting are personal and its content remains
    the property of Alastair. Alastair accepts no responsibility for any
    misinformation resulting from this posting.

    Alastair McAllister, Jan 9, 2005