Re: Laptop Repair via UPS?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mike Easter, Apr 23, 2010.

  1. Mike Easter

    Mike Easter Guest

    Mr. Fabulous wrote:
    > Meat Plow wrote:
    >> I was surprised to find out that MANY laptop repairs are done by UPS
    >> employed technicians right at the main UPS facility in Louisville
    >> Kentucky. When you think about it what better place exists? Laptops
    >> arrive right at the facility via UPS. Get right to the techs, techs
    >> have access to parts right there at UPS, then ship right out via UPS
    >> when they are done.
    >> I forget the exact figures but their are around 60 techs at UPS and
    >> they turn out a remarkable amount of repair.

    > Bullshit, this is nothing but hearsay. You show some kind of proof that
    > it's happening, other than your lip service.

    2004 Jul CNN Money.com
    http://money.cnn.com/magazines/business2/business2_archive/2004/07/01/374848/index.htm
    Toshiba outsources LT repair to UPS Supply Chain Solutions in
    Louisville KY which put 50 techs thru' a Toshiba training course

    The article mentions that UPS has also been doing such shipping/repairs
    for HP and Lexmark printers since 1996

    The Toshiba relationship is mentioned numerous places such as the
    wikipedia and as an example of 'insourcing' in a book 'The World is Flat.'

    2008 CNET news.com article by a reporter who spent two days at the
    Louisville operation
    http://content.techrepublic.com.com/2346-10877_11-207801.html - Photos:
    Laptop repair by UPS?

    That article is mostly about Worldport which has grown up around UPS
    Louisville operation

    Another article on UPS Worldport - which is huge - is How Stuff Works
    http://money.howstuffworks.com/ups1.htm

    That article also mentions the Toshiba relationship as well as numerous
    other companies which use UPS to provide all kinds of infrastructure -
    such as supplies and inventory - for them.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Apr 23, 2010

  2. Mike Easter

    Mike Easter Guest

    Meat Plow wrote:
    > Mike Easter

    >> 2008 CNET news.com article by a reporter who spent two days at the
    >> Louisville operation
    >> http://content.techrepublic.com.com/2346-10877_11-207801.html - Photos:
    >> Laptop repair by UPS?
    >>
    >> That article is mostly about Worldport which has grown up around UPS
    >> Louisville operation
    >>
    >> Another article on UPS Worldport - which is huge - is How Stuff Works
    >> http://money.howstuffworks.com/ups1.htm

    > I saw the documentary on Discovery's Modern Marvels. It was an episode
    > covering shipping of all kinds. There are many companies co-located on
    > the Worldport acreage.

    National Geographic did a series called Ultimate Factories. One of its
    episodes was UPS Worldport.

    The wikipedia article on worldport has a brief discussion of its
    'exploding' history.

    The other interesting UPS article the wiki has is about its airplane
    fleet. UPS also has bicycle delivery a few places in the US.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Apr 23, 2010