Re: Laptop LCD replacements

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Jul 24, 2011.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs EMB wrote:
    > I've just been out and had the LCD panel replaced in a laptop that
    > suffered the indignity of being slammed shut with a pen sitting on the
    > keyboard. The cost of replacing the keyboard and the panel through
    > the service agents we use at work was high enough that the company
    > wrote the laptop off. In true scavenger fashion I rescued it from
    > the bin and set about finding replacement parts at a price that made
    > the repair worthwhile. The keyboard was easy - $50 on ebay had one
    > delivered. Getting a panel turned out to be no more difficult -
    > Trademe provided a listing for an LCD replacement company who
    > supplied a brand new panel for an extremely good price (less than the
    > amount that half the sharks are asking for a used panel on TM). Having now
    > used their services I can thoroughly recommend them to all
    > and sundry here - either for a full "send it in broken and get it
    > back fixed" service, or to just supply a panel for you to fit
    > yourself. Their details are at:
    > http://www.trademe.co.nz/browse/listing.aspx?id=358325266
    >
    > Note: I have no connection with this business other than as a very
    > satisfied customer.

    Thanks, handy to know. :)

    Out of interest, what URL do you use for ebay shopping? I've never used them
    but whenever I follow a link, say from a forum, the ads usually have 'won't
    ship outside continental USA' or similar. My T60 cooling fan is getting a
    bit noisy and, last time I rang IBM / Lenovo they wanted ~NZ$120 + GST +
    freight for one and that was for a 'probably refurbished' unit. They
    couldn't / wouldn't guarantee a new one and I didn't want to pay that sort
    of money for second-hand.

    Best,
    --
    Shaun.

    into you." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche
    ~misfit~, Jul 24, 2011

  2. ~misfit~

    Donchano Guest

    On Sun, 24 Jul 2011 19:22:03 +1200, "~misfit~"
    <> shouted from the highest rooftop:

    >Somewhere on teh intarwebs EMB wrote:
    >> I've just been out and had the LCD panel replaced in a laptop that
    >> suffered the indignity of being slammed shut with a pen sitting on the
    >> keyboard. The cost of replacing the keyboard and the panel through
    >> the service agents we use at work was high enough that the company
    >> wrote the laptop off. In true scavenger fashion I rescued it from
    >> the bin and set about finding replacement parts at a price that made
    >> the repair worthwhile. The keyboard was easy - $50 on ebay had one
    >> delivered. Getting a panel turned out to be no more difficult -
    >> Trademe provided a listing for an LCD replacement company who
    >> supplied a brand new panel for an extremely good price (less than the
    >> amount that half the sharks are asking for a used panel on TM). Having now
    >> used their services I can thoroughly recommend them to all
    >> and sundry here - either for a full "send it in broken and get it
    >> back fixed" service, or to just supply a panel for you to fit
    >> yourself. Their details are at:
    >> http://www.trademe.co.nz/browse/listing.aspx?id=358325266
    >>
    >> Note: I have no connection with this business other than as a very
    >> satisfied customer.

    >Thanks, handy to know. :)
    >
    >Out of interest, what URL do you use for ebay shopping? I've never used them
    >but whenever I follow a link, say from a forum, the ads usually have 'won't
    >ship outside continental USA' or similar. My T60 cooling fan is getting a
    >bit noisy and, last time I rang IBM / Lenovo they wanted ~NZ$120 + GST +
    >freight for one and that was for a 'probably refurbished' unit. They
    >couldn't / wouldn't guarantee a new one and I didn't want to pay that sort
    >of money for second-hand.

    Not a direct answer, but FYI. I've used www.ebay.com to buy a number
    of items. Also www.ebay.com.au and www.ebay.co.uk . Some of the items
    I've been interested in were marked as not shipping outside of
    "whatever." But after asking the seller they've happily agreed to ship
    to NZ in most cases. In all but one, actually.

    BTW - I've bought two used laptops via TradeMe (both Toshiba) and have
    been absolutely delighted with both buys. But I did lots of homework
    first.
    Donchano, Jul 24, 2011

  3. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs EMB wrote:
    > On 24/07/2011 7:22 p.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >> Out of interest, what URL do you use for ebay shopping? I've never
    >> used them but whenever I follow a link, say from a forum, the ads
    >> usually have 'won't ship outside continental USA' or similar. My T60
    >> cooling fan is getting a bit noisy and, last time I rang IBM /
    >> Lenovo they wanted ~NZ$120 + GST + freight for one and that was for
    >> a 'probably refurbished' unit. They couldn't / wouldn't guarantee a
    >> new one and I didn't want to pay that sort of money for second-hand.

    > Most of my eblag purchases come from ebay.com.au - the keyboard
    > shipped ex Hong Kong. And for a T60 fan I'd be looking at aliexpress
    > (just ordered one for a T43 for sub-$15 delivered).

    Brilliant, thanks EMBers. I've cleaned and lubed the fan, it'll have to wait
    a bit 'til I have more dosh but handy to know which dealer to trust.

    Cheers,

    ~misfit~, Jul 24, 2011
  4. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Donchano wrote:
    > On Sun, 24 Jul 2011 19:22:03 +1200, "~misfit~"
    > <> shouted from the highest rooftop:
    >
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs EMB wrote:
    >>> I've just been out and had the LCD panel replaced in a laptop that
    >>> suffered the indignity of being slammed shut with a pen sitting on
    >>> the keyboard. The cost of replacing the keyboard and the panel
    >>> through
    >>> the service agents we use at work was high enough that the company
    >>> wrote the laptop off. In true scavenger fashion I rescued it from
    >>> the bin and set about finding replacement parts at a price that made
    >>> the repair worthwhile. The keyboard was easy - $50 on ebay had one
    >>> delivered. Getting a panel turned out to be no more difficult -
    >>> Trademe provided a listing for an LCD replacement company who
    >>> supplied a brand new panel for an extremely good price (less than
    >>> the amount that half the sharks are asking for a used panel on TM).
    >>> Having now used their services I can thoroughly recommend them to
    >>> all
    >>> and sundry here - either for a full "send it in broken and get it
    >>> back fixed" service, or to just supply a panel for you to fit
    >>> yourself. Their details are at:
    >>> http://www.trademe.co.nz/browse/listing.aspx?id=358325266
    >>>
    >>> Note: I have no connection with this business other than as a very
    >>> satisfied customer.

    >> Thanks, handy to know. :)
    >>
    >> Out of interest, what URL do you use for ebay shopping? I've never
    >> used them but whenever I follow a link, say from a forum, the ads
    >> usually have 'won't ship outside continental USA' or similar. My T60
    >> cooling fan is getting a bit noisy and, last time I rang IBM /
    >> Lenovo they wanted ~NZ$120 + GST + freight for one and that was for
    >> a 'probably refurbished' unit. They couldn't / wouldn't guarantee a
    >> new one and I didn't want to pay that sort of money for second-hand.

    > Not a direct answer, but FYI. I've used www.ebay.com to buy a number
    > of items. Also www.ebay.com.au and www.ebay.co.uk . Some of the items
    > I've been interested in were marked as not shipping outside of
    > "whatever." But after asking the seller they've happily agreed to ship
    > to NZ in most cases. In all but one, actually.
    >
    > BTW - I've bought two used laptops via TradeMe (both Toshiba) and have
    > been absolutely delighted with both buys. But I did lots of homework
    > first.

    Excellent. Thanks for the answer. :)

    Cheers,

    ~misfit~, Jul 24, 2011