Re: laptop hangs during Win2000 format, any suggesetions??

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Paul, Apr 15, 2004.

  1. Paul

    Paul Guest

    On Thu, 25 Mar 2004 03:08:31 -0600, "Patrick Michael"
    <> wrote:

    >I'm trying to do a clean install on my friend's HP laptop, but it never lets
    >me get past the format stage. I've tried two different Windows 2000 CDs,
    >but got the same exact result. The setup program partitions the 40GB hard
    >drive fine, and then I chose to format that partition as NTFS.
    >Unfortunately, it gets to about 64% after an hour or so, and then just
    >stops. I can still hear the hard drive making noises, but the progress bar
    >stays at 64%.
    >
    >I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions?

    Drive's toast.

    --
    Paul Whitehead

    Toronto Area I.T. Support
    www.rapidcomputer.com

    Paul, Apr 15, 2004

  2. "Paul" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 25 Mar 2004 03:08:31 -0600, "Patrick Michael"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >I'm trying to do a clean install on my friend's HP laptop, but it never

    lets
    > >me get past the format stage. I've tried two different Windows 2000 CDs,
    > >but got the same exact result. The setup program partitions the 40GB

    hard
    > >drive fine, and then I chose to format that partition as NTFS.
    > >Unfortunately, it gets to about 64% after an hour or so, and then just
    > >stops. I can still hear the hard drive making noises, but the progress

    bar
    > >stays at 64%.
    > >
    > >I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions?
    > >

    > Drive's toast.

    erm...what's this reply doing here? I posted the above like 3 weeks ago,
    lol. Anyway, the drive was far from toast. The problem dealt with a
    wireless NIC interferring with the formatting process (I don't know why, nor
    do I care). The laptop was fixed, updated and runs fine now.

    Patrick Michael, Apr 16, 2004

  3. Paul

    Paul Guest

    On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 00:14:23 -0500, "Patrick Michael"
    <> wrote:

    >erm...what's this reply doing here? I posted the above like 3 weeks ago,
    >lol.

    Next time let us know when you get a resolution.

    >Anyway, the drive was far from toast. The problem dealt with a
    >wireless NIC interferring with the formatting process (I don't know why, nor
    >do I care). The laptop was fixed, updated and runs fine now.

    Wireless nics dont produce hard drive formatting errors. I think
    someone may be feeding you a line.
    --
    Paul Whitehead

    Toronto Area I.T. Support
    www.rapidcomputer.com

    Paul, Apr 19, 2004
  4. "Paul" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 00:14:23 -0500, "Patrick Michael"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    > >erm...what's this reply doing here? I posted the above like 3 weeks ago,
    > >lol.

    > Next time let us know when you get a resolution.

    Uhm, I did. In fact, I provided one 3 weeks ago...
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?G6DE23418

    If you didn't see that, then maybe you need to find a better usenet
    provider.

    > >Anyway, the drive was far from toast. The problem dealt with a
    > >wireless NIC interferring with the formatting process (I don't know why,

    nor
    > >do I care). The laptop was fixed, updated and runs fine now.

    > Wireless nics dont produce hard drive formatting errors. I think
    > someone may be feeding you a line.

    What are you even blathering about...I fixed the laptop myself. Who would
    be "feeding me a line." I don't know why it happened, but as soon as I
    removed the wireless NIC from the PCMCIA slot, the hard drive went from the
    50% it seemed to be hanging on and finished within a couple minutes.

    Patrick Michael, Apr 21, 2004