Re: Laptop graphics problem

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Bill Eitner, Dec 20, 2007.

  1. Bill Eitner

    Bill Eitner Guest

    lizzieb wrote:
    > Hi - I have been given a laptop that displays vertical lines on the screen
    > immediately it powers on. It will only start in safe mode and the lines are
    > there and they are there when connected to an external monitor.

    If the lines are there in safe mode, you can be pretty
    sure it's a real hardware issue and not a configuration
    or driver issue.

    > I have run
    > a hardware check from bootable CD and lines are displayed with certain
    > colours.

    And lowering the resolution and/or refresh rate or
    reinstalling the driver has no effect? If so, I'd
    say you're on the right track.

    > Can I be sure the graphics card is faulty (onboard graphics) and
    > could I use an external video card to check this
    > http://www.expansys.com/p.aspx?i=155181 I haven't got one of these but
    > thought it might be useful in my tool kit.

    I'm not familiar with the concept of an external video
    adapter, and based on what I read here:
    http://www.iogear.com/main.php?loc=product&Item=GUC2015V
    I'm not sure whether the product you mention relies on
    the primary display adapter or not.

    Let us know what you discover.

    Bill Eitner, Dec 20, 2007