Re: laptop for basic office use

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by PeeCee, Aug 22, 2010.

  1. PeeCee

    PeeCee Guest

    "g" <> wrote in message news:4QEbo.60691$...
    > From the link
    > http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/series_can.do;HHOJSID=tW0YMnDh6ntf1JCJPRnq2nshjxB86JGJvS4S5MlCMw9pJtsS4spv!-1881405899?storeName=computer_store&landing=notebooks&a1=Category&v1=Ultra-Portable&jumpid=in_R329_prodexp/hhoslp/psg/notebooks/Ultra-Portable
    >
    > which one would be better for a user who does web browsing, typing MS-Word
    > documents, creating PPT files, using MS-Publisher and such basic things.
    > It is for the user's home use. No gaming or any other resource intensive
    > jobs would be done. Max would be a browser, two or three office
    > applications running simultaneously.
    >
    > Would
    > http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/s...oslp/psg/notebooks/Ultra-Portable/dm1z_series
    > the HP Pavilion dm1z series do the job?
    >
    > I have heard of AMD having more heating issues than Intel processors so
    > was leery about it.
    >
    > I notice the Acer for 328 is a good deal at
    > http://www.walmart.com/ip/Acer-AS57...=31956969713527999547&wmlspartner=lw9MynSeamY
    > but I don't know much about Acer machines reputation.
    >
    > Or, would there be better deals from Dell or other vendors?
    >
    > Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    Going on this Squaretrade publication
    http://www.squaretrade.com/pages/laptop-reliability-1109
    I would stick to Toshiba or Asus.

    HP (& Compaq) have the worst reliability reputation of any brand other than
    Acer at the moment.
    There is also been a huge tread running at Tech Republic, where HP / Acer
    have been roundly condemned.
    (HP Pro/Elitebooks however appear to be better built, the problem ones are
    all Pavilions apparently)

    The Laptops with the heat related issues recently have been the HP DV series
    where the nVidea graphics chips have unsoldered them selves from the
    mainboard through getting to hot.
    'All' Laptops get hot, the faster the Laptop the hotter they get.

    11.6" screen is small if your eyesight is not the best, keyboard is 92% full
    size etc.
    See if you can borrow one, or at least have a long hands on at the local
    retailer.

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Aug 22, 2010

  2. PeeCee

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Sun, 22 Aug 2010 16:07:36 +1200, PeeCee wrote:

    > The Laptops with the heat related issues recently have been the HP DV
    > series where the nVidea graphics chips have unsoldered them selves from
    > the mainboard through getting to hot.

    I think that was an issue with the chip socket be a BGA or Ball Grid
    Array.

    Meat Plow, Aug 22, 2010