Re: laptop display

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Tom MacIntyre, Oct 1, 2004.

  1. On Fri, 1 Oct 2004 12:27:42 +0100, "John Coode" <>
    wrote:

    >I took delivery of a new laptop from HP a week ago. Everything seemed fine
    >until I watched a DVD today. Where the widescreen picture leaves black bands
    >top and bottom, there is a very noticeable amount of white light spilling up
    >all along the bottom edge of the display.
    >
    >Is this normal for a laptop display or should I be on the phone to HP.
    >
    >(Compaq nx9105, 15" widescreen display.)
    >
    >John

    Why are there bands when it's a widescreen display? Or is the aspect
    ratio such that they are still required?

    Are the contrast and brightness set correctly, that is, are they set
    so that the video highs and lows are in the correct range. A set of
    greyscale bars would tell you this, or a set of regular bars with
    pluge, which allows alignment of the black level.

    http://www.mediacollege.com/video/test-patterns/pluge.html

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Oct 1, 2004