Re: laptop battery question

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by chuckcar, Nov 4, 2009.

  1. chuckcar

    chuckcar Guest

    "Jim" <nospam@wherever> wrote in

    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a HP laptop (pavillion) and the battery shows 100% fully
    > charged when the laptop is plugged into AC power. However in a power
    > failure the battery does not kick in like it used to...the computer
    > shuts down totally. I haven't changed any options in the tools that I
    > know of, however I am not the only one using this laptop. We have a cat
    > that has walked across the keyboard ocasionally so that's another person
    > using this thing...could he have accidently changed some settings
    > running across the keyboard? Thanks for any help.... Jim

    More likely the battery needs replacement. Have you tried checking the
    voltage and current from it with a multimeter?

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Nov 4, 2009

  2. chuckcar

    Mike Easter Guest

    Jim wrote:
    > I don't think it's the battery though as it shows it at 100%

    It doesn't 'do any good' for the battery indicator to show 100% charged
    if there isn't any battery power on demand.

    You haven't done a proper job of describing the function or lack of
    function of your battery, but it sounds like the battery is no good but
    it shows 100% charge.

    I don't know why you didn't report how the LT functions with the battery
    out and the adapter power sourcing contrasted to battery power only,
    which is what the previous message alluded to.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Nov 5, 2009

  3. chuckcar

    > "nobody >" <> wrote in message
    >> Evan Platt wrote:

    >>> That I'd agree is a possibility.

    >>> Wow, are you serious??

    >> Yup, I can see the OP measuring the "battery current" in my mind right
    >> now.
    >>
    >> Visions of smoking wires, blown fuses in the multimeter, exploding
    >> battery...

    > LOL... yeah I could see that happen 'in my mind" also... I am the
    > OP....I
    > don't think it's the battery though as it shows it at 100%

    And what exactly leads you to believe that he give a shit about fixing
    your problem?

    ....I think it's
    > more of a setting issue...have googled this and I see I am not the only
    > one with an HP laptop thats got the same problem. I'll keep digging.
    > Wish I could find a working replacement battery that I could borrow just
    > to see if it is in fact the battery or not. Thanks for your help
    > though... Jim

    By all means let us rely on random guesses and throw measurable factors
    out the winbdows.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Nov 6, 2009