Re: Kodak DX6490 : ANTS

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Alan D-W, Apr 1, 2004.

  1. Alan D-W

    Alan D-W Guest

    "Fulgencio" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I have a Kodak DX6490 digital camera with a dock. The camera was on

    You are a bloody idiot.
    Troll somewhere else.

    Alan D-W, Apr 1, 2004

  2. Alan D-W

    enri Guest

    :> I have a Kodak DX6490 digital camera with a dock. The camera was on
    :
    :You are a bloody idiot.
    :Troll somewhere else.
    :
    :
    What makes you think I am trolling?:

    enri, Apr 2, 2004

  3. Alan D-W

    Alan D-W Guest

    "enri" <> wrote in message
    > :
    > :You are a bloody idiot.
    > :Troll somewhere else.
    > :
    > :
    > What makes you think I am trolling?:

    OK, if you're not trolling and if therefore your tale is true then you are
    still a bloody idiot :

    a) for leaving your camera next to an ants' nest,
    b) for expecting the manufacturer to rectify your idiocy without charge,
    c) suggesting that "It is a case of poor design practice
    leaving the camera vulnerable to this kind of situation"

    What other problems do you suggest that manufacturers should protect the
    camera against? Sand storms, bottles of coca cola being spilt on them,
    electromagnetic pulse from a neutron bomb, unexpected falls of little green
    frogs from the sky, newborn babies dribbling on it?

    Owners have a duty of care with their equipment; I would say that leaving
    the camera where there are ants is NOT an example of due care. In another
    post you say "I did not do anything unusual with this
    camera", but you did, you carelessly left it where there are ants, and ants
    don't just suddenly materialise - you MUST have been aware of an ant
    problem. Ants are not attracted to cameras, some other substance attractive
    to them must have been around the area previously and the little guys just
    opportunistically said, hey guys, looks like a nice quiet and safe place to
    set up home. None of this is Kodak's fault or responsibility, it is all
    entirely your own lack of care.

    Perhaps you could refer us all to the number of the page in the camera's
    documentation in which reference is made to the device being protected
    against insects wishing to turn it into a maternity ward. Frankly, your
    question "Why are the effects of dirt due to an ant invasion not covered by
    the manufacturer warranty ?" is ludicrous. Why should Kodak warrant against
    something which is entirely out of their control and in fact unusual and
    unexpected in normal and sensible use.

    Sorry matey, it looks like your fault, your problem, your bill, and your
    lesson to be more careful next time. Get a spray or some ant-proof plastic
    bags.

    Alan D-W, Apr 2, 2004
  4. Alan D-W

    Doug Kanter Guest

    "Alan D-W" <> wrote in message

    > Perhaps you could refer us all to the number of the page in the camera's
    > documentation in which reference is made to the device being protected
    > against insects wishing to turn it into a maternity ward. Frankly, your
    > question "Why are the effects of dirt due to an ant invasion not covered

    by
    > the manufacturer warranty ?" is ludicrous. Why should Kodak warrant

    against
    > something which is entirely out of their control and in fact unusual and
    > unexpected in normal and sensible use.
    >
    > Sorry matey, it looks like your fault, your problem, your bill, and your
    > lesson to be more careful next time. Get a spray or some ant-proof plastic
    > bags.

    Sounds like this numbskull would blame Kodak for anything NOT mentioned in
    their warranty. So, it should be OK to leave the camera permanently stored
    on a boat, and then complain when it's damaged by salt, which happens to
    everything else that's metallic on a boat, eventually.

    Doug Kanter, Apr 2, 2004
  5. Alan D-W

    Fulgencio Guest

    > > What makes you think I am trolling?:
    >
    > OK, if you're not trolling and if therefore your tale is true then you are
    > still a bloody idiot :
    >
    > a) for leaving your camera next to an ants' nest,
    > b) for expecting the manufacturer to rectify your idiocy without charge,
    > c) suggesting that "It is a case of poor design practice
    > leaving the camera vulnerable to this kind of situation"
    >
    > What other problems do you suggest that manufacturers should protect the
    > camera against? Sand storms, bottles of coca cola being spilt on them,
    > electromagnetic pulse from a neutron bomb, unexpected falls of little green
    > frogs from the sky, newborn babies dribbling on it?
    >
    > Owners have a duty of care with their equipment; I would say that leaving
    > the camera where there are ants is NOT an example of due care. In another
    > post you say "I did not do anything unusual with this
    > camera", but you did, you carelessly left it where there are ants, and ants
    > don't just suddenly materialise - you MUST have been aware of an ant
    > problem. Ants are not attracted to cameras, some other substance attractive
    > to them must have been around the area previously and the little guys just
    > opportunistically said, hey guys, looks like a nice quiet and safe place to
    > set up home. None of this is Kodak's fault or responsibility, it is all
    > entirely your own lack of care.
    >
    > Perhaps you could refer us all to the number of the page in the camera's
    > documentation in which reference is made to the device being protected
    > against insects wishing to turn it into a maternity ward. Frankly, your
    > question "Why are the effects of dirt due to an ant invasion not covered by
    > the manufacturer warranty ?" is ludicrous. Why should Kodak warrant against
    > something which is entirely out of their control and in fact unusual and
    > unexpected in normal and sensible use.
    >
    > Sorry matey, it looks like your fault, your problem, your bill, and your
    > lesson to be more careful next time. Get a spray or some ant-proof plastic
    > bags.

    You do not read well, or perhaps the comprehension of the contents of
    what you read is not good or does not last long enough.

    No "ant nests" were ever mentioned.

    Fulgencio, Apr 4, 2004
  6. Alan D-W

    Fulgencio Guest

    > Sounds like this numbskull would blame Kodak for anything NOT mentioned in
    > their warranty. So, it should be OK to leave the camera permanently stored
    > on a boat, and then complain when it's damaged by salt, which happens to
    > everything else that's metallic on a boat, eventually.

    It is not assessing blame anymore, nor is it a question of "who pays".
    I paid.
    It is however curious, at least to me, involved in optics as a living,
    how
    an incident like this could had ever happened. If I had the remote
    suspicion that it "was my fault" I would not had wasted my time or
    yours describing the incident.

    Fulgencio, Apr 4, 2004
  7. Alan D-W

    Alan D-W Guest

    "Fulgencio" <> wrote in message
    > > Sorry matey, it looks like your fault, your problem, your bill, and your
    > > lesson to be more careful next time. Get a spray or some ant-proof

    plastic
    > > bags.

    > You do not read well, or perhaps the comprehension of the contents of
    > what you read is not good or does not last long enough.
    >
    > No "ant nests" were ever mentioned.

    Ants come from a nest, that's where they live, and they turned your camera
    into a nest. Live with it.

    Alan D-W, Apr 4, 2004
  8. Alan D-W

    Doug Kanter Guest

    "Fulgencio" <> wrote in message
    > > Sounds like this numbskull would blame Kodak for anything NOT mentioned

    in
    > > their warranty. So, it should be OK to leave the camera permanently

    stored
    > > on a boat, and then complain when it's damaged by salt, which happens to
    > > everything else that's metallic on a boat, eventually.

    > It is not assessing blame anymore, nor is it a question of "who pays".
    > I paid.
    > It is however curious, at least to me, involved in optics as a living,
    > how
    > an incident like this could had ever happened. If I had the remote
    > suspicion that it "was my fault" I would not had wasted my time or
    > yours describing the incident.

    Send a copy of the complaint to Schneider, who manufactured the lens.

    Doug Kanter, Apr 5, 2004
  9. Alan D-W

    Doug Kanter Guest

    "Fulgencio" <> wrote in message

    > No "ant nests" were ever mentioned.

    A "nest" can be defined as a place, not necessarily a "thing", like a bird's
    nest, or the kind built by insects like bees. Widen your linguistic scope.

    Doug Kanter, Apr 5, 2004
  10. Alan D-W

    enri Guest

    :
    :Send a copy of the complaint to Schneider, who manufactured the lens.
    :

    Duggie, why do you care so much ? Do you reside in Rochester and are
    in panic ? For me the incident is over. Do not insist.

    enri, Apr 7, 2004
  11. Alan D-W

    enri Guest

    :"Fulgencio" <> wrote in message
    :news:...
    :
    :>
    :> No "ant nests" were ever mentioned.
    :
    :A "nest" can be defined as a place, not necessarily a "thing", like a bird's
    :nest, or the kind built by insects like bees. Widen your linguistic scope.
    :

    Explain, my search to extend my linguistic scope knows of no limit

    enri, Apr 7, 2004
  12. Alan D-W

    Doug Kanter Guest

    "enri" <> wrote in message
    > :
    > :Send a copy of the complaint to Schneider, who manufactured the lens.
    > :
    >
    > Duggie, why do you care so much ? Do you reside in Rochester and are
    > in panic ? For me the incident is over. Do not insist.

    Translate, please.

    Doug Kanter, Apr 7, 2004
  13. Alan D-W

    enri Guest

    :> Duggie, why do you care so much ? Do you reside in Rochester and are
    :> in panic ? For me the incident is over. Do not insist.
    :
    :Translate, please.

    Rochester, the location of Kodak, is in big trouble. For example, Kodak has
    interrupted is support to many programs in the University of Rochester.

    enri, Apr 7, 2004
  14. Alan D-W

    John Navas Guest

    In <c51tds$2minsk$-berlin.de> on Wed, 07 Apr 2004 21:56:11
    GMT, (enri) wrote:

    >:> Duggie, why do you care so much ? Do you reside in Rochester and are
    >:> in panic ? For me the incident is over. Do not insist.
    >:
    >:Translate, please.
    >
    >Rochester, the location of Kodak, is in big trouble. For example, Kodak has
    >interrupted is support to many programs in the University of Rochester.

    High time for Rochester to broaden its base.

    --
    Best regards,
    John Navas

    John Navas, Apr 7, 2004
  15. Alan D-W

    Doug Kanter Guest

    "enri" <> wrote in message

    > :> Duggie, why do you care so much ? Do you reside in Rochester and are
    > :> in panic ? For me the incident is over. Do not insist.
    > :
    > :Translate, please.
    >
    > Rochester, the location of Kodak, is in big trouble. For example, Kodak

    has
    > interrupted is support to many programs in the University of Rochester.

    My business is in no way connected with the financial health of Rochester,
    and Kodak's future doesn't affect me, other than feeling badly for people
    who lose their jobs. The health of the company may or may not be related to
    ants in your camera, either. As a "scientist", you should know the
    difference between cause and correlation. Right?

    Doug Kanter, Apr 8, 2004
  16. Alan D-W

    enri Guest

    :
    :My business is in no way connected with the financial health of Rochester,
    :and Kodak's future doesn't affect me, other than feeling badly for people
    :who lose their jobs. The health of the company may or may not be related to
    :ants in your camera, either. As a "scientist", you should know the
    :difference between cause and correlation. Right?

    You are welcome to read my thesis, if you feel so inclined.

    enri, Apr 8, 2004
  17. Alan D-W

    Doug Kanter Guest

    "enri" <> wrote in message
    > :
    > :My business is in no way connected with the financial health of

    Rochester,
    > :and Kodak's future doesn't affect me, other than feeling badly for people
    > :who lose their jobs. The health of the company may or may not be related

    > :ants in your camera, either. As a "scientist", you should know the
    > :difference between cause and correlation. Right?
    >
    > You are welcome to read my thesis, if you feel so inclined.

    Where was your camera made?

    Doug Kanter, Apr 8, 2004
  18. Alan D-W

    enri Guest

    :Where was your camera made?

    It was assembled in China and designed in Japan.
    The CCD is probably Japanese and the optics German.

    enri, Apr 9, 2004
  19. Alan D-W

    Doug Kanter Guest

    "enri" <> wrote in message
    > :Where was your camera made?
    >
    > It was assembled in China and designed in Japan.
    > The CCD is probably Japanese and the optics German.

    And, what is your age, and your job function. I am not asking for your
    employer's name, just your occupation.

    Doug Kanter, Apr 9, 2004
  20. Alan D-W

    enri Guest

    :
    :And, what is your age, and your job function. I am not asking for your
    :employer's name, just your occupation.

    61
    PhD in physics
    Electroptical analyst