Re: Kodak DX3600 Shutting down automatically

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Ron Baird, Jul 10, 2003.

  1. Ron Baird

    Ron Baird Guest

    Hi Rob,

    Sorry to hear about the battery situation. I suspect the reason is due to
    your letting the rechargeable lose power then having to recharge it. The
    battery that came with camera, I believe, were 2AA lithium batteries. The
    charger on the other hand included a NiMH battery pack. That is what you
    must be referring to?

    If so, please note that because batteries are chemical products involving
    internal chemical reactions, their performance may deteriorate with
    prolonged storage. NiMH rechargeable batteries, if not used for a while,
    may need to be reconditioned as you would when using them for the first
    time. Otherwise, deactivation of the internal reactants may cause decreased
    capacity, which causes premature termination of charging. In other words,
    the batteries will not charge completely, even though the dock indicates
    they have.

    If this happens, we have a couple of recommendations. First, make sure you
    have the latest firmware. If you don't, consider updating your camera to
    the latest version. You can locate the update by going to:

    http://www.kodak.com/go/software

    Once there, choose your camera from the list. The next page will offer all
    the available software for your model, including any current firmware
    updates, if available. The firmware download will have a "Read-me" file
    that contains the directions for performing the update.

    Once you have successfully completed the update, we recommend conditioning
    your battery the way you would if it were being used for the first time, as
    we mentioned above. It is important that you be sure you always have a
    fully charged battery. To do so, place the camera on the KODAK EASYSHARE
    Camera Dock. When the charge light turns green (all three green lights are
    lit for a Dock II), then remove the camera from the dock FOR A MINIMUM OF 5
    MINUTES, and place it back on the dock. The 5 minutes the camera is off the
    dock are the key to correct recharging for a new or uncharged battery.
    Repeat this same process until the combined charging time, while the light
    is red on the dock, EQUALS A MINIMUM OF 2 HOURS.

    If you continue to have trouble or have questions, let me know, I am always
    glad to help.

    Ron Baird
    Kodak

    "Rob" <> wrote in message
    > I have a Kodak DX3600 digital camera. I have stopped using the

    rechargable
    > battery as it got to the point that it would only take a few pictures and
    > then would need recharging. Not much good when on holiday.
    > So for the fast few months I have been using NiMh batteies. These have

    been
    > very good and have lasted for a good number of shots even with the camera
    > being left on for a bit....
    >
    > BUT I went to use the camera last week and it said the battiries were

    dead.
    > So i buy some new ones and they worked for a couple shots, turned it off

    and
    > on again a few minutes later to take some more shots and with the camera

    in
    > shoot mode it extended the lens then said "reading card" but then just

    shut
    > down leaving the lense out. Every time I now switch it on it gets to the
    > same point and dies. If I have it in browse mode I get to look a couple
    > pictures then it flashes the low battery and dies within seconds.
    > I have since tried 2 new sets of batteries and exactly the same happens,

    it

    Ron Baird, Jul 10, 2003

  2. Ron Baird

    Rob Guest

    "Ron Baird" <> wrote in message
    > Hi Rob,
    >
    > Sorry to hear about the battery situation. I suspect the reason is due to
    > your letting the rechargeable lose power then having to recharge it. The
    > battery that came with camera, I believe, were 2AA lithium batteries. The
    > charger on the other hand included a NiMH battery pack. That is what you
    > must be referring to?

    Yep that is the battery I got with the camera. Not too bothered about it
    going as they are going to go after a certain amount of charging.

    > If so, please note that because batteries are chemical products involving
    > internal chemical reactions, their performance may deteriorate with
    > prolonged storage. NiMH rechargeable batteries, if not used for a while,
    > may need to be reconditioned as you would when using them for the first
    > time. Otherwise, deactivation of the internal reactants may cause

    decreased
    > capacity, which causes premature termination of charging. In other words,
    > the batteries will not charge completely, even though the dock indicates
    > they have.
    >
    > If this happens, we have a couple of recommendations. First, make sure

    you
    > have the latest firmware. If you don't, consider updating your camera to
    > the latest version. You can locate the update by going to:
    >
    > http://www.kodak.com/go/software
    >
    > Once there, choose your camera from the list. The next page will offer

    all
    > the available software for your model, including any current firmware
    > updates, if available. The firmware download will have a "Read-me" file
    > that contains the directions for performing the update.

    I have already put on the latest firmware (which I think mentioned something
    about bettery battery life ironicly :)

    > Once you have successfully completed the update, we recommend conditioning
    > your battery the way you would if it were being used for the first time,

    as
    > we mentioned above. It is important that you be sure you always have a
    > fully charged battery. To do so, place the camera on the KODAK EASYSHARE
    > Camera Dock. When the charge light turns green (all three green lights

    are
    > lit for a Dock II), then remove the camera from the dock FOR A MINIMUM OF

    5
    > MINUTES, and place it back on the dock. The 5 minutes the camera is off

    the
    > dock are the key to correct recharging for a new or uncharged battery.
    > Repeat this same process until the combined charging time, while the light
    > is red on the dock, EQUALS A MINIMUM OF 2 HOURS.

    I have lost the battery since so can't really do this. I do not think its
    due to the dead battery though as I have problems when using brand new
    normal AA batteries. I tried Sony & Duracell Alkaline and also some Rayovac
    heavy Duty ones. I would have expected these to work.

    Rob, Jul 11, 2003