Re: Kodak DX3600 Shutting down automatically

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Ron Hunter, Jul 10, 2003.

  1. Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Rob wrote:

    > I have a Kodak DX3600 digital camera. I have stopped using the rechargable
    > battery as it got to the point that it would only take a few pictures and
    > then would need recharging. Not much good when on holiday.
    > So for the fast few months I have been using NiMh batteies. These have been
    > very good and have lasted for a good number of shots even with the camera
    > being left on for a bit....
    >
    > BUT I went to use the camera last week and it said the battiries were dead.
    > So i buy some new ones and they worked for a couple shots, turned it off and
    > on again a few minutes later to take some more shots and with the camera in
    > shoot mode it extended the lens then said "reading card" but then just shut
    > down leaving the lense out. Every time I now switch it on it gets to the
    > same point and dies. If I have it in browse mode I get to look a couple
    > pictures then it flashes the low battery and dies within seconds.
    > I have since tried 2 new sets of batteries and exactly the same happens, it
    > turns it self off within a few seconds of turning it on.
    >
    > Anyone have any ideas or is the camera just shafted? I would have hoped it
    > would have lasted a bit longer than this.
    >
    > Rob

    Rob,
    First, the rechargeable battery you got if you bought the dock is a
    NIMH battery in a plastic holder, which notifies the dock that you have
    a rechargeable battery. If it stopped working then you need to either
    buy a new rechargeable pack from Kodak, or buy regular NIMH batteries
    with a charger, and properly recharge them. This entails about 3 or 4
    recharge cycles before they begin to work properly.

    When you said you bought new batteries, what type (NIMH, alakline,
    regular lead/acid) batteries did you buy? The symptom you describe is
    about what would happen if you put alkalines in that camera as it is NOT
    built for that voltage.

    Ron Hunter, Jul 10, 2003

  2. Ron Hunter

    Rob Guest

    "Ron Hunter" <> wrote in message
    > Rob wrote:
    >
    > > I have a Kodak DX3600 digital camera. I have stopped using the

    rechargable
    > > battery as it got to the point that it would only take a few pictures

    and
    > > then would need recharging. Not much good when on holiday.
    > > So for the fast few months I have been using NiMh batteies. These have

    been
    > > very good and have lasted for a good number of shots even with the

    camera
    > > being left on for a bit....
    > >
    > > BUT I went to use the camera last week and it said the battiries were

    dead.
    > > So i buy some new ones and they worked for a couple shots, turned it off

    and
    > > on again a few minutes later to take some more shots and with the camera

    in
    > > shoot mode it extended the lens then said "reading card" but then just

    shut
    > > down leaving the lense out. Every time I now switch it on it gets to the
    > > same point and dies. If I have it in browse mode I get to look a couple
    > > pictures then it flashes the low battery and dies within seconds.
    > > I have since tried 2 new sets of batteries and exactly the same happens,

    it
    > > turns it self off within a few seconds of turning it on.
    > >
    > > Anyone have any ideas or is the camera just shafted? I would have hoped

    it
    > > would have lasted a bit longer than this.
    > >
    > > Rob
    > >

    > Rob,
    > First, the rechargeable battery you got if you bought the dock is a
    > NIMH battery in a plastic holder, which notifies the dock that you have
    > a rechargeable battery. If it stopped working then you need to either
    > buy a new rechargeable pack from Kodak, or buy regular NIMH batteries
    > with a charger, and properly recharge them. This entails about 3 or 4
    > recharge cycles before they begin to work properly.
    >
    > When you said you bought new batteries, what type (NIMH, alakline,
    > regular lead/acid) batteries did you buy? The symptom you describe is
    > about what would happen if you put alkalines in that camera as it is NOT
    > built for that voltage.

    The battery I got with the camera was indeed the NiMH battery in the plastic
    holder. I am not too bothered about that as they obviously only have a
    certain life.

    When I said I have tried new batteries I meant I had tried new Duracell
    Alkaline, Sony & Rayovac heavy Duty ones. The fact these don't work is the
    annoying bit.

    Rob, Jul 11, 2003

  3. Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Rob wrote:

    > "Ron Hunter" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Rob wrote:
    >>

    >>>I have a Kodak DX3600 digital camera. I have stopped using the

    > rechargable
    >
    >>>battery as it got to the point that it would only take a few pictures

    > and
    >
    >>>then would need recharging. Not much good when on holiday.
    >>>So for the fast few months I have been using NiMh batteies. These have

    > been
    >
    >>>very good and have lasted for a good number of shots even with the

    > camera
    >
    >>>being left on for a bit....
    >>>
    >>>BUT I went to use the camera last week and it said the battiries were

    > dead.
    >
    >>>So i buy some new ones and they worked for a couple shots, turned it off

    > and
    >
    >>>on again a few minutes later to take some more shots and with the camera

    > in
    >
    >>>shoot mode it extended the lens then said "reading card" but then just

    > shut
    >
    >>>down leaving the lense out. Every time I now switch it on it gets to the
    >>>same point and dies. If I have it in browse mode I get to look a couple
    >>>pictures then it flashes the low battery and dies within seconds.
    >>>I have since tried 2 new sets of batteries and exactly the same happens,

    > it
    >
    >>>turns it self off within a few seconds of turning it on.
    >>>
    >>>Anyone have any ideas or is the camera just shafted? I would have hoped

    > it
    >
    >>>would have lasted a bit longer than this.
    >>>
    >>>Rob
    >>>

    >>Rob,
    >> First, the rechargeable battery you got if you bought the dock is a
    >>NIMH battery in a plastic holder, which notifies the dock that you have
    >>a rechargeable battery. If it stopped working then you need to either
    >>buy a new rechargeable pack from Kodak, or buy regular NIMH batteries
    >>with a charger, and properly recharge them. This entails about 3 or 4
    >>recharge cycles before they begin to work properly.
    >>
    >>When you said you bought new batteries, what type (NIMH, alakline,
    >>regular lead/acid) batteries did you buy? The symptom you describe is
    >>about what would happen if you put alkalines in that camera as it is NOT
    >>built for that voltage.
    >>

    > The battery I got with the camera was indeed the NiMH battery in the plastic
    > holder. I am not too bothered about that as they obviously only have a
    > certain life.
    >
    > When I said I have tried new batteries I meant I had tried new Duracell
    > Alkaline, Sony & Rayovac heavy Duty ones. The fact these don't work is the
    > annoying bit.

    RTFM!!!

    There are at LEAST 4 places in the manual where it warns you NOT to use
    alkalines. The voltage is too high, and the current too low. Use
    either a good quality NIMH or lithium (CRV3) cells, ONLY.

    Ron Hunter, Jul 11, 2003