Re: Kind of a Reach

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Old Codger, Apr 5, 2010.

  1. Old Codger

    Old Codger Guest

    DemoDisk wrote:
    > I need a secure method of retrieving a wrench socket from a deep spark
    > plug port. There's a rubber ring to (I guess) keep dust&such out. It
    > pulls the socket right off the extension bar when you try to withdraw
    > it.
    >
    > I just barely managed to fish it out with one of those 3-prong grabbers,
    > and I'd like to know what to use. Even better if it's some ordinary
    > thing around the house instead of locating some specialty item at a h/w
    > store.

    Fish hook or magnet?

    --
    Old Codger
    e-mail use reply to field

    Old Codger, Apr 5, 2010

  2. Old Codger

    philo Guest

    Old Codger wrote:
    > DemoDisk wrote:
    >> I need a secure method of retrieving a wrench socket from a deep spark
    >> plug port. There's a rubber ring to (I guess) keep dust&such out. It
    >> pulls the socket right off the extension bar when you try to withdraw
    >> it.
    >>
    >> I just barely managed to fish it out with one of those 3-prong grabbers,
    >> and I'd like to know what to use. Even better if it's some ordinary
    >> thing around the house instead of locating some specialty item at a h/w
    >> store.

    > Fish hook or magnet?

    Yep a magnet on a stick will do the job
    philo, Apr 6, 2010

  3. Old Codger

    NotMe Guest

    "DemoDisk" <> wrote in message

    > "philo" <> wrote in message
    >> DemoDisk wrote:
    >> > "philo" <> wrote in message
    >> > spark

    > out.
    >> > It
    >> > withdraw

    >> > grabbers,

    > ordinary

    >> > h/w

    >> > Ehh... Not really :(
    >> >
    >> > It's a dual problem:
    >> > 1 - the socket is securely on the spark plug, and
    >> > 2 - the rubber dust ring inside the port is fighting
    >> > your efforts at removal
    >> >
    >> > Thanks for your input, though.

    >> I have a magnet from a scsi harddrive that is amazingly strong...
    >> it might be able to do the job

    > The neodymium or rare earth magnets?
    >
    > I just looked at magnetic retrieval tools. Whatever it is, it has to be
    > strong enough to take some tugging w/o falling off.

    A magnet from an old microwave might work. I keep one on the boat with some
    good quality heavy line. Has been very helpful when one of the grand kids
    dropped something mission critical over board (like the church key).
    NotMe, Apr 6, 2010