Re: Killfile

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Larry R Harrison Jr, Sep 12, 2003.

  1. "fhe" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I just killfiled Monika. Now if the rest of you would just quit
    > responding to her trash (killfile makes it easy) we'd be rid of her.

    At the risk of sounding stupid, ignorant--pick your word.

    How do you "killfile" someone in Outlook Express? Is it "message...block
    sendor" from the pull-down menus?

    (They should have a right-click option which says "Killfile" since everyone
    calls it that.)

    Larry R Harrison Jr, Sep 12, 2003

  2. Larry R Harrison Jr

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Larry R Harrison Jr wrote:
    > "fhe" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I just killfiled Monika. Now if the rest of you would just quit
    >>responding to her trash (killfile makes it easy) we'd be rid of her.
    >>

    > At the risk of sounding stupid, ignorant--pick your word.
    >
    > How do you "killfile" someone in Outlook Express? Is it "message...block
    > sendor" from the pull-down menus?
    >
    > (They should have a right-click option which says "Killfile" since everyone
    > calls it that.)

    Wish users would avoid OE completely, so it is no surprise that so many
    have to ASK this question. Sigh.

    Ron Hunter, Sep 12, 2003

  3. Larry R Harrison Jr

    Dierk Haasis Guest

    On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 11:35:42 -0500, Ron Hunter <>
    wrote:

    >Wish users would avoid OE completely, so it is no surprise that so many
    >have to ASK this question. Sigh.

    Apart from sharing your sentiment, the correct answer to the question
    asked is: Yes.

    --

    Dierk

    Dierk Haasis, Sep 12, 2003
    wrote:

    >Wish users would avoid OE completely, so it is no surprise that so many
    >have to ASK this question. Sigh.

    Hmm, okay. So what newsgroup reader do you guys recommend then?

    Larry R Harrison Jr, Sep 12, 2003
  5. Larry R Harrison Jr

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    I recommend using whichever reader you want and killfiling the idiots who
    insist that only their newsreader is any good.

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony Spadaro, Sep 12, 2003
  6. Larry R Harrison Jr

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Larry R Harrison Jr wrote:

    > "Dierk Haasis" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 11:35:42 -0500, Ron Hunter <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Wish users would avoid OE completely, so it is no surprise that so many
    >>have to ASK this question. Sigh.

    > Hmm, okay. So what newsgroup reader do you guys recommend then?

    I use Mozilla Thunderbird or Mozilla 1.5b suite.
    Agent is also popular (although I don't like it).

    Ron Hunter, Sep 13, 2003
  7. Larry R Harrison Jr

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Tony Spadaro wrote:

    > I recommend using whichever reader you want and killfiling the idiots who
    > insist that only their newsreader is any good.
    >
    > --
    > http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    > home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto
    > The Improved Links Pages are at
    > New email - Contact on the Menyou page.
    > "Larry R Harrison Jr" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>"Dierk Haasis" <> wrote in message
    >>On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 11:35:42 -0500, Ron Hunter <>
    >>wrote:
    >>

    >>>Wish users would avoid OE completely, so it is no surprise that so many
    >>>have to ASK this question. Sigh.

    >>Hmm, okay. So what newsgroup reader do you guys recommend then?

    I made no indication of the relative quality of OE, but it is an open
    invitation to virus infection as to default configuration (which most
    people use). That is why I recommend NOT using it.

    Ron Hunter, Sep 13, 2003
  8. Larry R Harrison Jr

    Dierk Haasis Guest

    On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 22:01:39 GMT, "Tony Spadaro"
    <> wrote:

    >I recommend using whichever reader you want and killfiling the idiots who
    >insist that only their newsreader is any good.

    Since my name came up totally out of context in your message I am
    inclined to write something about your comment.

    1. The question your message was a direct follow-up to hasn't been
    answered by you.

    2. IIRC, the people slightly griping about the use of OE (including
    me) did answer the original question ("block sender") *and* gave a
    perfectly valid recommendation about changing news reader.

    3. I am an idiot - in the original Greek sense.

    4. But I don't "insist" on "my" news reader being the best; it's just
    one having been around some time, being programmed specifically to the
    task, with some minor features missing, endorsed by many people.

    5. Anybody can use what he wants including web interfaces as long as
    everything works fine for the readers of his posts.

    6. Hopefully this Tony Spadaro is the false one, as I do regard the
    original's opinion quite high and until this post thought he is
    reasonable and polite.

    --

    Dierk

    Dierk Haasis, Sep 13, 2003
  9. Larry R Harrison Jr

    Sherry Guest

    Ron Hunter <> wrote in

    <snip>

    > Not if it is written to PREVENT virus attacks. Eudora has

    been on
    > the market for years, and has a good following. Know of any

    viruses
    > that attack it? OE as configured by default actually

    facilitates
    > putting several types of viruses on your computer, and MS

    KNOWS
    > this, yet they have done little to prevent it.

    Don't be too smug. A google search of "Eudora" and "viruses"
    turned
    up nearly 200,000 hits:

    http://www.densakrasidan.com/tss_1160c.htm
    "Though most virus, trojans and other mess are done to attack
    Outlook
    Express and Outlook, you can't feel safe because you use some
    other
    program. For example, Magistr.B is a nasty virus attacking
    Eudora"

    http://www.anrecs.msu.edu/technology/articles/iloveyouvirus.html
    "Eudora users, if you have opened the attachment, you may be
    prompted
    for the location of your Eudora address book. *DO NOT RESPOND*
    Once
    you do, you are now infected just like the Outlook users."

    http://antivirus.about.com/library/bleudora.htm

    http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/redteam.shtml
    "RedTeam - This virus infects Windows EXE files (NewExe) and
    sends
    itself to Internet by using Eudora e-mail - it is the first
    known
    virus that infects Windows and spreads via Internet."

    http://www.info-links.com/news/002.html
    "Qualcomm the makers of the popular Eudora e-mail software
    announced
    on Thursday that a bug existed in versions 4.0 and 4.0.1 of
    their
    Eudora Pro and CommCenter products. The problem could
    potentially
    allow anyone to install software on your hard drive, including
    viruses, without your permission."

    There are many mass mailing worms that spread themselves through
    Outlook, but there are even more worms and viruses that don't
    need
    Outlook to cause serious damage to one's computer.

    Sherry

    Sherry, Sep 13, 2003
  10. Larry R Harrison Jr

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    No it is not written to "prevent" virus attacks - it simply wouldn't be any
    fun for a hacker to write a virus and have it knock out all 170 computers in
    the world that use it.

    --
    "Ron Hunter" <> wrote in message
    > Tony Spadaro wrote:
    > > And as soon as some other newsreader has a significant share of the

    market
    > > they will start writing virus and worm software for that program

    instead.

    Tony Spadaro, Sep 13, 2003
  11. Larry R Harrison Jr

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Sherry wrote:
    > Ron Hunter <> wrote in
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    >>Not if it is written to PREVENT virus attacks. Eudora has

    > been on
    >
    >>the market for years, and has a good following. Know of any

    > viruses
    >
    >>that attack it? OE as configured by default actually

    > facilitates
    >
    >>putting several types of viruses on your computer, and MS

    > KNOWS
    >
    >>this, yet they have done little to prevent it.
    >>

    > Don't be too smug. A google search of "Eudora" and "viruses"
    > turned
    > up nearly 200,000 hits:
    >
    > http://www.densakrasidan.com/tss_1160c.htm
    > "Though most virus, trojans and other mess are done to attack
    > Outlook
    > Express and Outlook, you can't feel safe because you use some
    > other
    > program. For example, Magistr.B is a nasty virus attacking
    > Eudora"
    >
    > http://www.anrecs.msu.edu/technology/articles/iloveyouvirus.html
    > "Eudora users, if you have opened the attachment, you may be
    > prompted
    > for the location of your Eudora address book. *DO NOT RESPOND*
    > Once
    > you do, you are now infected just like the Outlook users."
    >
    > http://antivirus.about.com/library/bleudora.htm
    >
    > http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/redteam.shtml
    > "RedTeam - This virus infects Windows EXE files (NewExe) and
    > sends
    > itself to Internet by using Eudora e-mail - it is the first
    > known
    > virus that infects Windows and spreads via Internet."
    >
    > http://www.info-links.com/news/002.html
    > "Qualcomm the makers of the popular Eudora e-mail software
    > announced
    > on Thursday that a bug existed in versions 4.0 and 4.0.1 of
    > their
    > Eudora Pro and CommCenter products. The problem could
    > potentially
    > allow anyone to install software on your hard drive, including
    > viruses, without your permission."
    >
    > There are many mass mailing worms that spread themselves through
    > Outlook, but there are even more worms and viruses that don't
    > need
    > Outlook to cause serious damage to one's computer.
    >
    > Sherry

    IN ANY mail/news client NEVER OPEN A SUSPICIOUS ATTACHMENT!
    This is just basic good sense.

    Some readers, such as The Bat and Pegasus just won't let you do that.
    Mozilla will let you, but doesn't have connections to the OS like OE
    does to run some of the more subtle things. One MUST have enough sense,
    and understanding to protect himself. A good AV program is also of
    value (although it might not catch the newest invention). The fact
    remains, OE is an open invitation to infection.

    Ron Hunter, Sep 13, 2003