Re: Killed it with one shot...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Joe Makowiec, Sep 19, 2011.

  1. Joe Makowiec

    Joe Makowiec Guest

    Joe Makowiec, Sep 19, 2011

  2. Joe Makowiec

    Irwell Guest

    On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 08:14:07 -0600, Dudley Hanks wrote:

    > "Allen" <> wrote in message
    >> On 9/19/2011 8:02 AM, Dudley Hanks wrote:
    >>> "Joe Makowiec"<> wrote in message

    >>> Thanks, Joe, appreciate your comment.
    >>>
    >>> Yes, Kesho is a service dog in training from Dogs With Wings, an Edmonton
    >>> based organization that produces guide dogs, therapy dogs, and hearing
    >>> assistance canines.
    >>>
    >>> My wife, kids and I help out a bit by fostering dogs when puppy-raisers
    >>> need
    >>> a break, like when they go on vacation, have stronger than usual work /
    >>> school commitments, have out of town visitors staying with them, etc.
    >>>
    >>> It's great fun, and it gives Mich a varied supply of new pups to play
    >>> with,
    >>> so it's win / win.
    >>>
    >>> If I weren't such a GS enthusiast, I'd opt for a DWW guide, myself, but
    >>> they
    >>> don't train Shepherds, only Labs.
    >>>
    >>> Since Guide Dogs for the Blind (the school that trained Mich) has also
    >>> discontinued working with GS dogs, I'll probably head East to Jersey for
    >>> my
    >>> next guide.
    >>>
    >>> Take Care,
    >>> Dudley
    >>>

    >> Dudley, a question not about photography but about dogs. A few days ago I
    >> saw a beautiful black Lab guide dog that appeared to weigh around 40
    >> pounds--much smaller than most Labs, although it appeared to be quite
    >> healthy and well fed. A friend with two Labs told me that Lab service dogs
    >> are generally much smaller than the run-of-the mill Labs. Is this true?
    >> Allen

    > Yes, Allen, a lot of Labs used for guides have been bred to be rather
    > compact, some measuring only about 19 or 20 inches at the shoulder. The
    > idea is that it's easier for a small guide to be taken onto airplanes,
    > buses, etc...
    >
    > When I was training with Mich in San Rafael, he had his eye on a little Lab
    > lady that was about 21" tall, nice and petite.
    >
    > That's not to say that bigger Labs aren't used, as well. I have a friend
    > who's Lab guide is about the same size as Mich, weighing in at almost 105
    > pounds, but that's not the usual case.
    >
    > Personally, I don't like the small dogs, since it's a bit much to expect a
    > 40 pound dog to dive in front of a 230 pound guy and stop him in an
    > emergency, which can happen more often than most handlers like. So, I
    > always ask for one of the big guys. My first guide, Bonner, was 27" tall,
    > weighing about 90 pounds; Dima was 24" tall and weighed around 78 pounds,
    > and, of course my big baby Mich is 29" tall and weighs between 110 and 115
    > pounds (depending on how much exercise he's had, recently).
    >
    > But, if you travel by plane a lot, one of the little dogs would definitely
    > be a lot easier to squeeze in.
    >
    > Take Care,
    > Dudley

    Great picture, and a lot of interesting facts in the follow up

    Irwell, Sep 19, 2011

  3. Joe Makowiec

    Joe Makowiec Guest

    On 19 Sep 2011 in rec.photo.digital, Dudley Hanks wrote:

    > From what a few friends have told me, the histogram is a bit
    > lopsided, indicating that the pic might benefit from a bit of
    > brightening.
    >
    > What do you think? Is it worth trying to brighten up the pic? Drag
    > some detail out of the shadows?
    >
    > Or, should I leave well-enough alone....

    It's a bit left-heavy, but you'd expect the shadows to be blocked in that
    picture. The highlights look OK - nothing blown. I'd leave it.

    --
    Joe Makowiec
    http://makowiec.org/

    Joe Makowiec, Sep 19, 2011
  4. Joe Makowiec

    Tim Conway Guest

    "Dudley Hanks" <> wrote in message

    > "Irwell" <> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 08:14:07 -0600, Dudley Hanks wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Allen" <> wrote in message

    >>> Yes, Allen, a lot of Labs used for guides have been bred to be rather
    >>> compact, some measuring only about 19 or 20 inches at the shoulder. The
    >>> idea is that it's easier for a small guide to be taken onto airplanes,
    >>> buses, etc...
    >>>
    >>> When I was training with Mich in San Rafael, he had his eye on a little
    >>> Lab
    >>> lady that was about 21" tall, nice and petite.
    >>>
    >>> That's not to say that bigger Labs aren't used, as well. I have a
    >>> friend
    >>> who's Lab guide is about the same size as Mich, weighing in at almost
    >>> 105
    >>> pounds, but that's not the usual case.
    >>>
    >>> Personally, I don't like the small dogs, since it's a bit much to expect
    >>> 40 pound dog to dive in front of a 230 pound guy and stop him in an
    >>> emergency, which can happen more often than most handlers like. So, I
    >>> always ask for one of the big guys. My first guide, Bonner, was 27"
    >>> tall,
    >>> weighing about 90 pounds; Dima was 24" tall and weighed around 78
    >>> pounds,
    >>> and, of course my big baby Mich is 29" tall and weighs between 110 and
    >>> 115
    >>> pounds (depending on how much exercise he's had, recently).
    >>>
    >>> But, if you travel by plane a lot, one of the little dogs would
    >>> definitely
    >>> be a lot easier to squeeze in.
    >>>
    >>> Take Care,
    >>> Dudley

    >> Great picture, and a lot of interesting facts in the follow up

    > Thanks, Irwell, appreciate your interest.
    >
    > From what a few friends have told me, the histogram is a bit lopsided,
    > indicating that the pic might benefit from a bit of brightening.
    >
    > What do you think? Is it worth trying to brighten up the pic? Drag some
    > detail out of the shadows?
    >
    > Or, should I leave well-enough alone....
    >
    > Take Care,
    > Dudley

    I agree. The exposure looks just fine to me. The highlights aren't blown,
    and the dark background adds to the photo.
    Nice job.

    Tim Conway, Sep 19, 2011
  5. Joe Makowiec

    PeterN Guest

    On 9/19/2011 10:14 AM, Dudley Hanks wrote:
    > "Allen"<> wrote in message
    >> On 9/19/2011 8:02 AM, Dudley Hanks wrote:
    >>> "Joe Makowiec"<> wrote in message

    >>> Thanks, Joe, appreciate your comment.
    >>>
    >>> Yes, Kesho is a service dog in training from Dogs With Wings, an Edmonton
    >>> based organization that produces guide dogs, therapy dogs, and hearing
    >>> assistance canines.
    >>>
    >>> My wife, kids and I help out a bit by fostering dogs when puppy-raisers
    >>> need
    >>> a break, like when they go on vacation, have stronger than usual work /
    >>> school commitments, have out of town visitors staying with them, etc.
    >>>
    >>> It's great fun, and it gives Mich a varied supply of new pups to play
    >>> with,
    >>> so it's win / win.
    >>>
    >>> If I weren't such a GS enthusiast, I'd opt for a DWW guide, myself, but
    >>> they
    >>> don't train Shepherds, only Labs.
    >>>
    >>> Since Guide Dogs for the Blind (the school that trained Mich) has also
    >>> discontinued working with GS dogs, I'll probably head East to Jersey for
    >>> my
    >>> next guide.
    >>>
    >>> Take Care,
    >>> Dudley
    >>>

    >> Dudley, a question not about photography but about dogs. A few days ago I
    >> saw a beautiful black Lab guide dog that appeared to weigh around 40
    >> pounds--much smaller than most Labs, although it appeared to be quite
    >> healthy and well fed. A friend with two Labs told me that Lab service dogs
    >> are generally much smaller than the run-of-the mill Labs. Is this true?
    >> Allen

    > Yes, Allen, a lot of Labs used for guides have been bred to be rather
    > compact, some measuring only about 19 or 20 inches at the shoulder. The
    > idea is that it's easier for a small guide to be taken onto airplanes,
    > buses, etc...
    >
    > When I was training with Mich in San Rafael, he had his eye on a little Lab
    > lady that was about 21" tall, nice and petite.
    >
    > That's not to say that bigger Labs aren't used, as well. I have a friend
    > who's Lab guide is about the same size as Mich, weighing in at almost 105
    > pounds, but that's not the usual case.
    >
    > Personally, I don't like the small dogs, since it's a bit much to expect a
    > 40 pound dog to dive in front of a 230 pound guy and stop him in an
    > emergency, which can happen more often than most handlers like. So, I
    > always ask for one of the big guys. My first guide, Bonner, was 27" tall,
    > weighing about 90 pounds; Dima was 24" tall and weighed around 78 pounds,
    > and, of course my big baby Mich is 29" tall and weighs between 110 and 115
    > pounds (depending on how much exercise he's had, recently).
    >
    > But, if you travel by plane a lot, one of the little dogs would definitely
    > be a lot easier to squeeze in.

    My daughter has a Golden that weighs about 60lbs. (Just a pet that's a
    certified reading dog.) That dog is strong enough to stop me in an
    emergency. (I weigh about 250 + - depending on how much ice cream I had
    the night before.)

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, Sep 20, 2011