    appear on the screen.
    Anyone care to comment ?
    Bernard

    Bernard P Rother, Jan 20, 2005

  2. Bernard P Rother

    George Guest

    "Bernard P Rother" <> wrote in message
    news:csnhnb$p6r$...
    > Hi there,
    > I have glass from both manufacturers and know the difference in quality
    > but was wondering if it's really worthwhile to retire my Cosina 17-35
    > f3.5 AF and fork out more money for the D70 kit lens 18-55 (?). The
    > difference in focal length can be ignored for the moment. It would mean
    > a few months saving up but I don't want to spend that kind of money for
    > marginal improvements. Focus speed and motor noise are also not an issue.
    > I'm thinking more of how much sharper / contrasty the final image will
    > appear on the screen.
    > Anyone care to comment ?
    > Bernard

    First, the "kit" lens is 18-70...substantially more useful (IMHO) focal
    length
    range than what you've got...but you say that isn't an issue. It is also an
    AF-S
    lens so it does focus faster and quieter...but you say that isn't an issue.
    I did
    see a review of it at www.bythom.com that was very favorable. I wound up
    buying one after the fact, so mine cost me $400, not $300 as it does if you
    buy it in the D-70 kit. Even though I already have around ten Nikon lenses
    for 35mm cameras, I found a "hole" in the range (due to D-70 crop factor)
    that this lens fills very nicely and think it is an excellent lens. If the
    cost bothers
    you, consider this: when you "buy" a Nikon lens, I believe you are paying
    more of a "long-term rental fee" in that the lens won't depreciate anywhere
    near what off-brand lenses do, i.e., after you've used your Nikon lens for
    4-5 years you can probably still resell it for at least 50% what you paid
    for
    it while you'd be lucky to unload off-brand lenses (not Sigma, Tamron,
    Tokina)
    for $25.

    George

    BTW--I'd still vote for keeping your Cosina lens (in addition to having the
    Nikon
    lens) because it likely won't bring you much $$ and would serve as a
    "beater" lens
    to take into situations where you might want to protect your more expensive
    lenses.

    George, Jan 20, 2005