Re: KB960714 leads to BlueScreen during Vista 64 startup

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by PA Bear [MS MVP], Dec 22, 2008.

  1. [Crossposted to Windows Update & 64bit General newsgroups]

    to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB960714).

    Support for Windows Update:

    your usual support contacts.
    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net

    PA Bear [MS MVP], Dec 22, 2008

  2. PA Bear [MS MVP]

    Olivier Guest

    Thank you, I have submitted a support request.

    Olivier, Dec 23, 2008

  3. PA Bear [MS MVP]

    Olivier Guest

    My problem was due to damaged system file.

    If you encounter a similar issue perform the following test :
    Launch the following program in a command line to check the integrity of
    system file :
    "sfc /scannow"

    If it report any error perform a Vista installation on your existing system
    using this procedure, it will repair Vista with the original file without
    modifying your documents and other programs :
    - Start your OS normally
    - Close all running programm
    - Insert your Vista DVD
    - Launch setup.exe
    - Select Install
    - Select "do not obtain windows update" (it will be performed later)
    - If requested, enter your windows serial number / key
    - Select Update and follow the instructions

    The whole process took approximately 4hours on my system.
    After this procedure "sfc /scannow" did not report any error, and applying
    all the Windows update (including the KB960714) did not lead to a crash.
    Olivier, Jan 7, 2009
  4. PA Bear [MS MVP]

    louby6969

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    yeah it also happens to XP64, what i found that worked along with that is by going into the boot screen and turning off the dual cores and then it allowed me to go into windows minus the blue screen and then uninstalled the KB960714 and then u can change it back..hope that helps, instead of having to reinstall everything, like i've done twice before..
    Phil
    ps i think microsoft hates 64 bit systems..hope windows 7 64 bit style is better...
    louby6969, Jan 20, 2009