Re: Katharine Hepburn dies

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by jayembee, Jun 30, 2003.

  1. jayembee

    jayembee Guest

    Andrew <> wrote:

    > While she has not appeared in any genre films she was a
    > fine actress

    Fine? The best.

    > My favourite films of hers would be Rooster Cogburn and
    > The African Queen.

    My favorite comedies of hers would be BRINGING UP BABY and
    THE PHILADELPHIA STORY. My favorite dramas of hers would
    be THE LION IN WINTER and THE AFRICAN QUEEN.

    Only a third of her 52 films (17 to be specific) have been
    released on DVD so far. They are:

    Little Women (1933) (Warner)
    Alice Adams (1935) (Warner)
    The Philadelphia Story (1940) (Warner)
    Woman of the Year (1942) (Warner)
    Stage Door Canteen (1943) (Image/Hal Roach)
    Adam's Rib (1949) (Warner)
    Pat and Mike (1951) (Warner)
    Summertime (1951) (Criterion)
    Suddenly Last Summer (1951) (Columbia)
    Guess Who's Coming to Dinner (1967) (Columbia)
    The Lion in Winter (1968) (MGM)
    The Glass Menagerie (1973, made-for-TV) (Image/Broadway Theatre Archive)
    A Delicate Balance (1973) (Kino -- coming 7/22/2003)
    Rooster Cogburn (1975) (Universal)
    On Golden Pond (1981) (Artisan)
    Love Affair (1994) (Warner)
    One Christmas (1994, made-for-TV) (Pioneer)

    -- jayembee
    jayembee, Jun 30, 2003

  2. jayembee

    Davywiz Guest

    My vote for the next DVD release would be BRINGING UP BABY. . .I saw this for
    the first time just a few months ago and howled! She and Cary are both just a
    total hoot in it. The comedy still holds up beautifully. Hard to believe it
    bombed when it was first released.

    Davywiz, Jul 1, 2003

  3. Davywiz wrote:
    > My vote for the next DVD release would be BRINGING UP BABY. . .I saw this for
    > the first time just a few months ago and howled! She and Cary are both just a
    > total hoot in it. The comedy still holds up beautifully. Hard to believe it
    > bombed when it was first released.

    Yes. She spent a great part of her early career as "box office poison".
    Somehow, she kept getting roles. Thank God for that!

    In so many of her movies, she was the center, the pivot, the real star,
    the reason you want to watch it again. An amazing actor. I will continue
    to enjoy her work and hope to see more of it on DVD.

    Matthew

    --
    <http://www.mlmartin.com/bbq/>

    Thermodynamics For Dummies: You can't win.
    You can't break even.
    You can't get out of the game.
    Matthew L. Martin, Jul 1, 2003
  4. jayembee

    Arkon24fps Guest

    Davywiz <> wrote in message
    > My vote for the next DVD release would be BRINGING UP BABY. . .I saw this

    for
    > the first time just a few months ago and howled! She and Cary are both

    just a
    > total hoot in it. The comedy still holds up beautifully. Hard to believe

    it
    > bombed when it was first released.
    >
    > >Andrew <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> While she has not appeared in any genre films she was a
    > >> fine actress

    > >Fine? The best.
    > >
    > >> My favourite films of hers would be Rooster Cogburn and
    > >> The African Queen.

    > >My favorite comedies of hers would be BRINGING UP BABY and
    > >THE PHILADELPHIA STORY. My favorite dramas of hers would
    > >be THE LION IN WINTER and THE AFRICAN QUEEN.
    > >
    > >Only a third of her 52 films (17 to be specific) have been
    > >released on DVD so far. They are:
    > >
    > >Little Women (1933) (Warner)
    > >Alice Adams (1935) (Warner)
    > >The Philadelphia Story (1940) (Warner)
    > >Woman of the Year (1942) (Warner)
    > >Stage Door Canteen (1943) (Image/Hal Roach)
    > >Adam's Rib (1949) (Warner)
    > >Pat and Mike (1951) (Warner)
    > >Summertime (1951) (Criterion)
    > >Suddenly Last Summer (1951) (Columbia)
    > >Guess Who's Coming to Dinner (1967) (Columbia)
    > >The Lion in Winter (1968) (MGM)
    > >The Glass Menagerie (1973, made-for-TV) (Image/Broadway Theatre Archive)
    > >A Delicate Balance (1973) (Kino -- coming 7/22/2003)
    > >Rooster Cogburn (1975) (Universal)
    > >On Golden Pond (1981) (Artisan)
    > >Love Affair (1994) (Warner)
    > >One Christmas (1994, made-for-TV) (Pioneer)

    David Lean's Summertime is also pretty good. For me, Woman of the Year is
    the quintisential Kate Hepburn movie; it really defined her image as an
    independant woman force to be reckonded with. In other words, she kicked
    balls before freakin' Halle Berry did. There has been no match for Katherine
    Hepburn. This or any other generation will not produce an actress of this
    calibre cause they just don't come along anymore. Pat & Mike was her fav I
    believe because of it was her favorite film with long time companion Spencer
    Tracy.

    Arkon24fps, Jul 2, 2003
  5. jayembee

    jayembee Guest

    "Arkon24fps" <> wrote:

    > For me, Woman of the Year is the quintisential Kate Hepburn
    > movie; it really defined her image as an independant woman
    > force to be reckonded with.

    Oh, please. I'm guessing you never saw the end of the movie,
    which completely undoes everything that had been built up to
    that point. Her husband is envious of the fact that she's
    more important than he is, throws a hissy fit, and threatens
    to leave her. To get him to stay (and not bruise his precious
    male ego), she grovels and agrees to give up her career to be
    a good little housewife. Gag.

    ADAM'S RIB, on the other hand, shows the same fiery, independent
    spirit, but without compromising it any.

    -- jayembee
    jayembee, Jul 2, 2003
  6. On 2 Jul 2003 13:43:22 -0700, (jayembee) wrote:

    >"Arkon24fps" <> wrote:
    >
    >> For me, Woman of the Year is the quintisential Kate Hepburn
    >> movie; it really defined her image as an independant woman
    >> force to be reckonded with.

    >Oh, please. I'm guessing you never saw the end of the movie,
    >which completely undoes everything that had been built up to
    >that point. Her husband is envious of the fact that she's
    >more important than he is, throws a hissy fit, and threatens
    >to leave her. To get him to stay (and not bruise his precious
    >male ego), she grovels and agrees to give up her career to be
    >a good little housewife. Gag.
    >
    >ADAM'S RIB, on the other hand, shows the same fiery, independent
    >spirit, but without compromising it any.
    >
    >-- jayembee

    KH never struck me as a woman who would kiss any man's ass. Never happened in her lifetime
    that I know of of.
    Dr. Speedbyrd:>, Jul 3, 2003
  7. jayembee

    jayembee Guest

    "Dr. Speedbyrd:>" <> wrote:

    > (jayembee) wrote:
    >
    >> "Arkon24fps" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> For me, Woman of the Year is the quintisential Kate Hepburn
    >>> movie; it really defined her image as an independant woman
    >>> force to be reckonded with.

    >> Oh, please. I'm guessing you never saw the end of the movie,
    >> which completely undoes everything that had been built up to
    >> that point. Her husband is envious of the fact that she's
    >> more important than he is, throws a hissy fit, and threatens
    >> to leave her. To get him to stay (and not bruise his precious
    >> male ego), she grovels and agrees to give up her career to be
    >> a good little housewife. Gag.
    >>
    >> ADAM'S RIB, on the other hand, shows the same fiery, independent
    >> spirit, but without compromising it any.

    > KH never struck me as a woman who would kiss any man's ass.
    > Never happened in her lifetime that I know of of.

    She never struck me that way, either. But I'm not sure how that's
    exactly relevant to the above, since we're talking about a character
    she played, not her.

    Anyway, that's why I find the ending to WOMAN OF THE YEAR so...
    "bizarre" is the best word I can think of. It's so atypical of
    the roles she's always played, and the image she always tried
    to put across. It just astonishes me that the film is often held
    up as a significant feminist film, when it really betrays the
    cause.

    -- jayembee
    jayembee, Jul 3, 2003