Re: Katharine Hepburn dies

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by jayembee, Jun 30, 2003.

  1. jayembee

    jayembee Guest

    John Harkness <> wrote:

    > Andrew <> wrote:
    >>
    >> While she has not appeared in any genre films [...]

    > Screwball comedy wasn't a genre? And you cite a Western as
    > one of your favorites.

    And UNDERCURRENT qualifies as Noir.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Jun 30, 2003

  2. jayembee

    Andrew Guest

    jayembee wrote:
    > And UNDERCURRENT qualifies as Noir.

    It was late, I do not know what I was thinking! ;)

    Andrew

    Andrew, Jun 30, 2003

  3. On 30 Jun 2003 11:31:57 -0700, (jayembee)
    wrote:

    >John Harkness <> wrote:
    >
    >> Andrew <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> While she has not appeared in any genre films [...]

    >> Screwball comedy wasn't a genre? And you cite a Western as
    >> one of your favorites.

    >And UNDERCURRENT qualifies as Noir.
    >
    >-- jayembee

    Noir isn't a genre.

    John Harkness

    John Harkness, Jun 30, 2003
  4. On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 21:23:34 GMT, "Ricardo Moltazan" <>
    wrote:

    >"John Harkness" <> wrote in message
    >> On 30 Jun 2003 11:31:57 -0700, (jayembee)
    >> wrote:

    >> >And UNDERCURRENT qualifies as Noir.
    >> >
    >> >-- jayembee

    >> Noir isn't a genre.
    >>
    >> John Harkness

    >Sure it is. It's as much a genre as Screwball Comedy.

    nope. Genre is structure -- and screwball comedy has one.

    given that there are noir westerns (Rancho Notorious, Pursued) and
    even a noir musical (Christmas Holiday) -- noir is a tone and a
    period, not a genre.

    John Harkness

    John Harkness, Jun 30, 2003
  5. jayembee

    jayembee Guest

    John Harkness <> wrote:

    > given that there are noir westerns (Rancho Notorious, Pursued) and
    > even a noir musical (Christmas Holiday) -- noir is a tone and a
    > period, not a genre.

    Sorry, John, but genre is a classification according to "form, style,
    or content". Film Noir is a genre of style.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Jul 1, 2003
  6. My faves would be Lion in Winter, Adam's Rib, Philadelphia Story.

    The black knight ALWAYS triumphs!

    Jason Chastain, Jul 1, 2003
  7. jayembee

    Shrapnel Guest

    On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 17:36:05 -0400, John Harkness <>
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 21:23:34 GMT, "Ricardo Moltazan" <>
    >wrote:
    >

    >>"John Harkness" <> wrote in message

    >>> Noir isn't a genre.
    >>>
    >>> John Harkness

    >>Sure it is. It's as much a genre as Screwball Comedy.
    >>

    >nope. Genre is structure -- and screwball comedy has one.
    >
    >given that there are noir westerns (Rancho Notorious, Pursued) and
    >even a noir musical (Christmas Holiday) -- noir is a tone and a
    >period, not a genre.
    >
    >John Harkness

    A period... not all NOIR films are B & W and from the 30's, 40's or
    50's

    What do you mean by period???

    Shrapnel, Jul 2, 2003
  8. jayembee

    Shrapnel Guest

    On Tue, 1 Jul 2003 00:48:58 -0700, "Jason Chastain"
    <> wrote:

    >My faves would be Lion in Winter, Adam's Rib, Philadelphia Story.

    Mine would probably be The African Queen and The Desk Set... hilarious
    :)

    Shrapnel, Jul 2, 2003