Re: Jupiter

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Rich, Oct 23, 2009.

  1. Rich

    Rich Guest

    On Oct 23, 11:43 am, Troy Piggins <> wrote:
    > The astrophotography has been keeping me occupied lately.  This
    > is my first attempt at planetary imaging.  Lots to learn, I know.
    > Don't see much astrophotography here so thought I'd share.
    >
    > Taken with a 8" f/10 scope with a 2.5x powermate (like a
    > teleconvertor) giving it an equivalent focal length of around
    > 5000mm.  Camera was a DBK21 CCD camera.
    >
    > The dark spot is the shadow of one of the moons, and you can just
    > make out the Great Red Spot at the top.
    >
    > http://piggo.com/~troy/photos/2009/2009_10_23/Jupiter091023_1.jpg
    >
    > All up I'm pretty happy with it.  Suspect the scope needs some
    > tweaking of the collimation which should give a sharper image.
    > Will have to try that next time, haven't done it before.
    >
    > --
    > Troy Piggins

    You need at least 25,000mm to really shoot Jupiter. Nice shot at
    5000mm though.

    Rich, Oct 23, 2009

  2. On Sat, 24 Oct 2009 07:30:59 +1000, Troy Piggins <>
    wrote:

    >* Rich wrote :
    >> On Oct 23, 11:43 am, Troy Piggins <> wrote:
    >> [---=| Quote block shrinked by t-prot: 14 lines snipped |=---]
    >>> tweaking of the collimation which should give a sharper image.
    >>> Will have to try that next time, haven't done it before.

    >> You need at least 25,000mm to really shoot Jupiter. Nice shot at
    >> 5000mm though.

    >Anthony Wesley, the guy who discovered the that most recent
    >impact scar on Jupiter, takes these sort of shots with an
    >effective focal length of around 9000mm.
    >
    >http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=65884&d=1256210105
    >
    >I'd be extremely happy if I can get anywhere near as good as
    >that. Have you ever tried to image with something of the sort of
    >focal lengths you're suggesting with back-yard amatuer gear? I'd
    >love to see examples.

    Don't mind Rich, he's just a troll that regurgitates what he's read other
    trolls invent, or he himself invents. He doesn't even own a camera, much
    less a telescope. Proved many times by many people. He's only here to play
    "pretend" with his role-play life, using bits and snippets of info that he
    happens to find anywhere on the net. He believes anything he reads on the
    net, with no real-life experience to know the difference of when he's being
    bullshitted.

    Damn 35 F. Rain - Staying Warm Inside Is Winning T, Oct 24, 2009