Re: Joliet names when burning to cd (filenames too long) -OT in one ng of the crosspost

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by db, Jul 22, 2003.

  1. db

    db Guest

    "anthonyberet" <> wrote in message
    > I am surprised I haven't asked this before, but I find when burning files

    > CDR or CDRW with NERO 5.5.4.2 that it wont let me burn files with long

    names
    > under ISO 1. I don't know all the ins-and-outs of the different coding
    > systems, so can anybody tell me if a different one would be more suitable?
    > -At the moment I am editing the filenames to make them fit, but this a

    pain
    > in the backside.
    > I am running win98se.
    > Thanks.
    > --
    > Put "usenet" in the subject-line if you want to mail me, otherwise it will
    > bounce.
    > anthonyberet

    Howdy. What a bitch eh, I've had the same problems here.

    If you're only backing the files up to disc, then you could do what I do;
    Just ZIP or RAR the whole lot, selecting 'Store' as the compression
    technique when creating the archive ("Store" = no compression, the files are
    just packaged together into a single file).

    As a note, you can add options in WinRAR/WinZIP/etc for archive CRC checking
    and stuff, although I'd advise against this as it can make accessing and
    extracting files from the archive later on v e r y s l o w (as I later
    discovered after rar'ing thousands of files).

    Interestingly enough, you can actually play the uncompressed ZIP/RAR archive
    in Winamp/etc, by renaming the ZIP/RAR archive to something like
    "all-my-music.rar.mp3" before burning.

    hth.
    db, Jul 22, 2003