Re: Jetstream - what's your mileage?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Uncle StoatWarbler, Jul 13, 2003.

  1. On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 17:31:28 -0700, T.N.O. wrote:

    > "Uncle StoatWarbler" wrote
    >> Telecom originally planned to roll out jetstream at 30-60/month, with
    >> no data charges and "traffic management by congestion"

    > where did you get the info from... it is markedly different to
    > everything that I had heard on original pricing.

    From someone in the ADSL rollout team who'd been pulled in from Telecom's
    failed Cable TV venture to help make it go (they moved everyone over to
    ADSL when the cable company failed, and set them to work on getting ADSL
    rolled out..)

    It was also made very clear to the staff that the intent was to get ADSL
    out to the point where there were enough connections to make it viable to
    use it for cable TV delivery and at that stage the marketing push would
    move mostly to TV/entertainment services.

    That has yet to happen. The threshold is 10% of adsl-capable lines nationwide,
    apparently...

    TV delivery over phone line has been a wet dream for Telecom (and the
    NZPO) for decades. They were experimenting with video-on-demand in the
    early 80s and more recently there have been video-over-adsl trials running
    in Auckland.

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Jul 13, 2003