Re: Jetstream - what's your mileage?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Uncle StoatWarbler, Jul 13, 2003.

  1. On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 13:59:45 +0000, Peter Gutmann wrote:

    > They did the same with ISDN: Took them forever to figure out how to
    > cripple it badly enough that it wouldn't compete with their (crappy)
    > data services. This seems to be a constant: No new technology can be
    > deployed until it's been made non-competitive with DDS/X.25/whatever
    > they're pushing as their data services at the time.

    The ISDN situation had a double prong:

    The NEAX 61E and 61M switches the NZ Post Office bought very cheaply off
    NEC in exchange for being guinea pigs don't do ISDN, except with _very_
    expensive personality changes. They don't do ISDN primaries properly _at
    all_.

    So not only id they have to worry about DDS/X.25 competition, they also
    had to ensure it was priced so that uptake wasn't high enough to cost them
    a fortune in switch modifications.

    I was surprised when ISDN came down to the point where it was cheaper than
    2 business lines.

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Jul 13, 2003