Re: Jetstream - what's your mileage?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Enkidu, Jul 10, 2003.

  1. Enkidu

    Enkidu Guest

    On 10 Jul 2003 13:59:45 GMT, (Peter Gutmann)
    wrote:

    >They did the same with ISDN: Took them forever to figure out how to cripple it

    ISDN always was a braindead and crippled technology right from the
    start. In particular, an ISDN call from NZ to anywhere in the world is
    almost quaranteed to have to be converted between "standards" two or
    three times. It may well be converted to analog for stretches of the
    journey. As a result performance is crap.

    Scott Adams, Dilbert's creator, was involved in the development of
    ISDN before he became a cartoonist......

    ISDN is ONLY suited for short haul emergency use. I wouldn't recommend
    it if it were cheaper than dial-up. That's how bad I think it is.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Jul 10, 2003