Re: Jetstream - what's your mileage?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Mutley, Jul 10, 2003.

  1. Mutley

    Mutley Guest

    (Peter Gutmann) wrote:

    >"Uncle StoatWarbler" <> writes:
    >
    >>Telecom originally planned to roll out jetstream at 30-60/month, with no
    >>data charges and "traffic management by congestion"

    >>The data side realised that it would utterly _gut_ their $500-1500/month
    >>9600bps auckland wellington services, so things were delayed for almost a
    >>year while pricing issues were sorted out.

    >>The data transfer pricing is set to discourage businesses moving away from
    >>dedicated dds circuits.

    >>Otherwise companies would simply setup crosstown 768kb/s(*) circuits
    >>insted of paying Telecom's $1200/month charges for 128kb/s crosstown DDS.

    >They did the same with ISDN: Took them forever to figure out how to cripple it
    >badly enough that it wouldn't compete with their (crappy) data services.

    Define how you cripple ISDN.???? It looks the same today as it has
    always looked..

    Mutley, Jul 10, 2003

  2. Mutley <> writes:

    > (Peter Gutmann) wrote:

    >>"Uncle StoatWarbler" <> writes:
    >>
    >>>Telecom originally planned to roll out jetstream at 30-60/month, with no
    >>>data charges and "traffic management by congestion"

    >>>The data side realised that it would utterly _gut_ their $500-1500/month
    >>>9600bps auckland wellington services, so things were delayed for almost a
    >>>year while pricing issues were sorted out.

    >>>The data transfer pricing is set to discourage businesses moving away from
    >>>dedicated dds circuits.

    >>>Otherwise companies would simply setup crosstown 768kb/s(*) circuits
    >>>insted of paying Telecom's $1200/month charges for 128kb/s crosstown DDS.

    >>They did the same with ISDN: Took them forever to figure out how to cripple it
    >>badly enough that it wouldn't compete with their (crappy) data services.

    >Define how you cripple ISDN.???? It looks the same today as it has
    >always looked..

    I can't remember all the details (it's something you try and blank out), but they
    disabled D-channel signalling, fast call setup, and a pile of other things, to make
    sure it wasn't any more functional than a POTS line. So you paid $$$ and got
    something that was less functional than a POTS line (less functional because they
    could never get it working properly even in its crippled state, I heard some horror
    stories like Telecom announcing after two months of intensive effort that it
    was impossible to set up an ISDN link to a customer, whereupon the customer
    flew in someone from their head office in Australia who did it in an
    afternoon). You wonder why they bothered going out of their way to cripple it...

    Peter.

    Peter Gutmann, Jul 12, 2003