Re: Java works on 64-bit IE but not on 32-bit IE...

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by PA Bear [MS MVP], Jul 9, 2009.

  1. [[ Forwarded to Windows Server Security & General and Win 64bit General via
    crosspost ]]

    PA Bear [MS MVP], Jul 9, 2009

  2. I have both editions of Java on my Win 7 x64 system and there is no
    problem with Java working in either one of them. One of the examples is
    the NOAA weather maps. You can display either a single radar picture or
    you can select to loop the past hour. The loop is a java function and
    it works on both 32-bit & 64-bit editions of both IE8 and Firefox - no
    problems!

    Bobby Johnson, Jul 10, 2009

  3. PA Bear [MS MVP]

    Carlos Guest

    Bobby,
    In case of doubt, this is Sun's official Java test page:
    http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jul 10, 2009
  4. Carlos,
    For a second confirmation that Java does work in Windows 7 x64 in both
    32-bit & 64-bit in both IE* 32-bit & 64-bit and Firefox 32-bit & 64-bit
    I went to your link and it tells me that all four browsers have Java
    functioning properly.

    I also am able to loop my local weather radar, which is a Java app, in
    both 32-bit & 64-bit.

    Thanks,

    Bobby

    Bobby Johnson, Jul 10, 2009
  5. PA Bear [MS MVP]

    Poutnik Guest

    Bobby Johnson's previous post was like this :

    > I have both editions of Java on my Win 7 x64 system and there is no
    > problem with Java working in either one of them. One of the examples is
    > the NOAA weather maps. You can display either a single radar picture or
    > you can select to loop the past hour. The loop is a java function and
    > it works on both 32-bit & 64-bit editions of both IE8 and Firefox - no
    > problems!

    I am afraid you probably mix java and javascripts.
    Javascripts are known to allow such animations, no need for java here.

    Furthermore, I intentionally left javascript in my FF allowed,
    but I denied using java.
    Then I went to NOAA to see so radar namimations.
    As expected, animations worked, based on javascripts, not on java.
    Java for it is a cannon for sparrows.

    --
    Poutnik
    The best depends on how the best is defined.
    Poutnik, Jul 10, 2009
  6. If you don't have Java, then you won't play javascripts.

    Just as if you don't have an operating system on your computer, you
    won't run any programs!

    http://www.java.com/en/download/whatis_java.jsp

    What is Java?

    Java allows you to play online games, chat with people around the world,
    calculate your mortgage interest, and view images in 3D, just to name a
    few. It's also integral to the intranet applications and other
    e-business solutions that are the foundation of corporate computing.

    Bobby Johnson, Jul 10, 2009
  7. PA Bear [MS MVP]

    Poutnik Guest

    Bobby Johnson's previous post was like this :

    > If you don't have Java, then you won't play javascripts.
    >
    > Just as if you don't have an operating system on your computer, you
    > won't run any programs!

    So, then you will be probably surprised
    that java and javascript have not much common
    but similar name and source code syntax.

    Internet browsers or windows scripting hosts
    do not need java installed, not even are using java.

    Javascript are definitely not scripts written for java,
    but web scriting language invented by Netscape AFAIK.

    (Sun) Java is running java applets,
    platform independent intermediate code,
    what is partly compiled, partly interpreted.

    Poutnik, Jul 10, 2009
  8. Obviously you are totally oblivious to what is plainly posted on the Sun
    Java web site. Java is a Language Environment which runs Java scripts.

    Read
    http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/getStarted/intro/definition.html
    and then tell Sun they don't know what they're talking about!

    I'm surprised that you could dream up such garbage! I can guarantee
    that your web browser will NOT execute any Java applications, also known
    as scripts, if you don't have the Java Runtime Environment installed on
    your computer.

    Wake up and smell the coffee!

    Bobby Johnson, Jul 10, 2009
  9. See also:
    http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/guide/plugin/developer_guide/overview.html

    It explains what a browser plug-in is.

    Bobby Johnson, Jul 10, 2009
  10. Go to:
    http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=LOT&product=N0R&overlay=11101111&loop=yes

    You will notice that for the radar images to cycle through Java is
    started. If you don't have Java on you computer it will tell you that
    you need to install Java.

    Bobby Johnson, Jul 10, 2009
  11. PA Bear [MS MVP]

    Poutnik Guest

    Bobby Johnson's previous post was like this :

    > Obviously you are totally oblivious to what is plainly posted on the Sun
    > Java web site. Java is a Language Environment which runs Java scripts.
    >
    > Read
    > http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/getStarted/intro/definition.html
    > and then tell Sun they don't know what they're talking about!
    >
    > I'm surprised that you could dream up such garbage! I can guarantee
    > that your web browser will NOT execute any Java applications, also known
    > as scripts, if you don't have the Java Runtime Environment installed on
    > your computer.
    >
    > Wake up and smell the coffee!

    I will tell it not to Sun, but to you..
    If you read it carefully, in page you mentioned
    there is no info about scripts of any kind.
    ( java do not user scripts ).

    Mixing Java and Javascript is very common mistake.

    See Java vs. JavaScript
    http://www.htmlgoodies.com/beyond/javascript/article.php/3470971

    Javascript does not need nor use java enviroment,
    and even, if hosted in WSH, do not need even a browser.

    Javascripts has nothing in common with Sun company.

    Now, it is your turn for waking up.

    In case of other offense I will realize
    I need spend time by something more useful.

    Poutnik, Jul 10, 2009
  12. PA Bear [MS MVP]

    Poutnik Guest

    Bobby Johnson's previous post was like this :

    > Go to:
    > http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=LOT&product=N0R&overlay=11101111&loop=yes
    >
    > You will notice that for the radar images to cycle through Java is
    > started. If you don't have Java on you computer it will tell you that
    > you need to install Java.

    Yes, I see, this one is running java applet, not javascript.
    It is clear you need java for it.

    I was watching other animation on the site,
    that was managed by javascripts.
    For them, you do not need java.

    Poutnik, Jul 10, 2009
  13. You are the one that injected the 'javascript' into the conversation,
    not me! So you are the one that caused the confusion!

    Bobby Johnson, Jul 10, 2009
  14. You should never have injected 'javascript' into the conversation to
    start with!

    Bobby Johnson, Jul 10, 2009
  15. Check back through the posts and you will find that you were the first
    one to mention 'javascript' not me! I said the radar loop and the Java
    sight confirmed I had Java on my computer. I never mentioned the word
    'javascript' before you injected it!

    Bobby Johnson, Jul 10, 2009
  16. PA Bear [MS MVP]

    Poutnik Guest

    Bobby Johnson's previous post was like this :

    > You are the one that injected the 'javascript' into the conversation,
    > not me! So you are the one that caused the confusion!

    Your knowledge level started confusion, not me.

    BTW, why to use so many replies for the same objection ?

    You could spend one of them to confess,
    that now you know the java vs javascript difference.

    Poutnik, Jul 10, 2009
  17. And you should never have injected 'javascript' into the conversation.
    I didn't even think of 'javascript' until you brought it up and then you
    were totally off base with what you said. All I said was I have both
    32-bit & 64-bit Java installed and that all four versions of my browser
    would run Java apps.

    Bobby Johnson, Jul 10, 2009
  18. PA Bear [MS MVP]

    Poutnik Guest

    Bobby Johnson's previous post was like this :

    > And you should never have injected 'javascript' into the conversation.
    > I didn't even think of 'javascript' until you brought it up and then you
    > were totally off base with what you said. All I said was I have both
    > 32-bit & 64-bit Java installed and that all four versions of my browser
    > would run Java apps.

    I have never thought javascript is so rude word,
    otherwise I would not use it.

    Why is so difficult for you to accept
    you were wrong about javascript ?
    And why to cover it by my injection ?
    Because of revealing your prior confusion ?
    Now you are not confused anymore.

    For me it is easy to to say I was wrong, when I was.

    I was wrong in expectation you could think
    javascript is java in your radar link, because people do it often.

    But, I was right you was confused about java and javascript
    in general before I came with injection.

    Poutnik, Jul 10, 2009
  19. PA Bear [MS MVP]

    Poutnik Guest

    Bobby Johnson's previous post was like this :

    > And you should never have injected 'javascript' into the conversation.
    > I didn't even think of 'javascript' until you brought it up and then you
    > were totally off base with what you said. All I said was I have both
    > 32-bit & 64-bit Java installed and that all four versions of my browser
    > would run Java apps.

    As you may remember,

    I replied not to this article, but to article
    about radar animation in NOAA site.

    These are in general provided by both java applets and javascripts,
    but more often by the latter.

    In this contect javascript was not off topic.

    Poutnik, Jul 10, 2009
  20. I am afraid you are confusing Java and Javascript. These are 2 totally and
    fully different things just like a ''car'' and a ''carpenter'' are different.
    Ultimate Judge, Aug 2, 2009