Re: I've changed my mind about AA batteries.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Tzortzakakis Dimitrios, Apr 9, 2008.

  1. ? "Ron Hunter" <> ?????? ??? ??????
    > Andrew MacPherson wrote:
    > > All my digital cameras until recently were AA for a combination of
    > > convenience, interoperability, and the ability to use disposables in an
    > > emergency. And, in general, I've been pleased with the AA performance.
    > > However one slightly dodgy battery in a set of 4 can be hard to track
    > > down, and the fairly rapid decay on NiMh can be annoying if you find

    your
    > > camera dead when you need it.
    > >
    > > I have had great success with Hybrio batteries for my K100D DSLR, but

    the
    > > same batteries don't work in my Oly SP-550 for some reason. So I was
    > > carrying different sets of AAs for different cameras, and the novelty

    was
    > > wearing off.
    > >
    > > I recently decided to buy a new DSLR, and narrowed it down to the 40D or
    > > D300... cameras with very different price tags, but very good AF
    > > performance, which is what I wanted for use at airshows in particular.
    > >

    > AF for an airshow? Almost every picture at an airshow will have the
    > subject more than 50 feet away from the camera, which means you wouldn't
    > be using the AF at all, as the setting would be, basically 'infinity'
    > all the time. Just set the focus at infinity, and turn AF off. With no
    > AF working all the time, your lithium ion battery would last several
    > times as long.
    >
    > > In the end the 40D won thanks to the 100-400L and Canon's recent
    > > aggressive pricing. So the 40D was almost half the price of the D300,
    > > leaving me plenty of cash free to buy spare batteries.
    > >
    > > Fortunately the 40D has some very cheap and well regarded spares
    > > available. So I bought three, just to make sure I'd have enough juice

    for
    > > a long day out.
    > >
    > > Now I'm not sure why I bothered. :) The supplied battery is only on its
    > > second charge, has already lasted through about 600 photographs, and
    > > still shows as fully charged.
    > >
    > > Ok, I wouldn't rely on the meter reading, but all the same, I'm really
    > > impressed. So I apologise for being a doubting Thomas for so long! I
    > > suppose I knew lithium batteries were vastly superior, it was always the
    > > idea of being stuck far from a charger which bothered me. Now I'd just
    > > stuff a spare in my pocket and not worry at all.
    > >

    > That spare will still cost many times what a set of Eneloop (or similar)
    > batteries, and will you still be able to buy a battery for that camera
    > 10 years from now?
    >

    > > Andrew McP
    > >
    > > PS I suppose to be fair the latest generation of cameras do seem to be
    > > very good at saving energy. In the past there may have been more of a
    > > case for sticking with AAs.

    > The issues of convenience and availability are still as important to me
    > as they have ever been.

    I'm still waiting for a mobile phone with NiMH AAs and a maglite with a li
    ion cell, but you can't have everything you want....
    :)

    --
    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
    major in electrical engineering
    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios, Apr 9, 2008

  2. Tzortzakakis Dimitrios

    SMS Guest

    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios wrote:

    >> The issues of convenience and availability are still as important to me
    >> as they have ever been.

    > I'm still waiting for a mobile phone with NiMH AAs and a maglite with a li
    > ion cell, but you can't have everything you want....
    > :)

    There are Li-Ion powered flashlights available. Very popular with police.

    "http://www.streamlight.com/product/class.aspx?cid=1"

    I agree with Ron though, the main advantage of Li-Ion batteries is
    convenience. Fumbling with multiple AA cells, or trying to keep them in
    sets, is not something that many people want to go back to.

    I did have a analog phone once that had an aftermarket battery holder
    that could take AA cells, rather than the proprietary NiMH battery. It
    didn't work well at all.

    Now you can buy those cell phone chargers that run off of AA cells, so
    you can have the advantage of the smaller, lighter, denser, Li-Ion
    battery, while still being able to use AA batteries in a pinch.

    To me, one hassle has been chargers. I have some AA devices, so I have
    to bring a NiMH charger (or two) for them, but I also need a charger for
    the phone, MP3, notebook computer, and camera.

    I really like Motorola's move to the mini-USB jack for charging on their
    phones. I wish some camera makers would go back to in-camera charging on
    their smaller cameras, and use a USB connection. Even if it takes six
    hours at night to charge a battery it'd be okay, as long as they also
    had a high-current charger as an option.
    SMS, Apr 11, 2008

  3. ? "SMS" <> ?????? ??? ??????
    > Tzortzakakis Dimitrios wrote:
    >
    > >> The issues of convenience and availability are still as important to me
    > >> as they have ever been.

    > > I'm still waiting for a mobile phone with NiMH AAs and a maglite with a

    li
    > > ion cell, but you can't have everything you want....
    > > :)

    > There are Li-Ion powered flashlights available. Very popular with police.
    >
    > "http://www.streamlight.com/product/class.aspx?cid=1"
    >
    > I agree with Ron though, the main advantage of Li-Ion batteries is
    > convenience. Fumbling with multiple AA cells, or trying to keep them in
    > sets, is not something that many people want to go back to.
    >
    > I did have a analog phone once that had an aftermarket battery holder
    > that could take AA cells, rather than the proprietary NiMH battery. It
    > didn't work well at all.
    >
    > Now you can buy those cell phone chargers that run off of AA cells, so
    > you can have the advantage of the smaller, lighter, denser, Li-Ion
    > battery, while still being able to use AA batteries in a pinch.
    >
    > To me, one hassle has been chargers. I have some AA devices, so I have
    > to bring a NiMH charger (or two) for them, but I also need a charger for
    > the phone, MP3, notebook computer, and camera.
    >
    > I really like Motorola's move to the mini-USB jack for charging on their
    > phones. I wish some camera makers would go back to in-camera charging on
    > their smaller cameras, and use a USB connection. Even if it takes six
    > hours at night to charge a battery it'd be okay, as long as they also
    > had a high-current charger as an option.

    I have a drawer that has only my chargers... It contains:mobile charger,
    NiMH AA trickle charger, camcorder charger (Li ion), camera Li ion charger,
    and another one for my power tool (screwdriver, li ion).

    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios, Apr 12, 2008
  4. Tzortzakakis Dimitrios

    ASAAR Guest

    On Wed, 9 Apr 2008 21:02:10 +0300, Tzortzakakis Dimitrios wrote:

    >> The issues of convenience and availability are still as important to me
    >> as they have ever been.

    > I'm still waiting for a mobile phone with NiMH AAs and a maglite with a li
    > ion cell, but you can't have everything you want....
    > :)

    They won't be MagLites, but there are high quality lights that use
    all of the popular rechargeable battery types. You can find them by
    googling, of stopping in a store that caters to police and the hook
    and ladder crews. Prices may be well above what MagLites go for,
    though. Alternatively, MagLites have been available for some time
    with *very* bright, voltage regulated LED modules for their AA, C
    and D cell models. Alkaline batteries work well and last a
    reasonably long time and NiMH cells should also do well if you
    recharge them before they're exhausted. They'd be lighter if Li-Ion
    powered, but wouldn't do as well when used as truncheons . . . :)

    BTW, you can get LED modules for older MagLites, and they seem to
    be widely available. The last one I got was bought in a local
    Target. Haven't seen an LED Solo yet. The MagLite LED modules
    aren't like the generic LED conversion kits I've seen, in that they
    are designed to allow the MagLites to focus their beams. I haven't
    tried a generic module or replacement bulb in a MagLite though.
    ASAAR, Apr 13, 2008
  5. ? "ASAAR" <> ?????? ??? ??????
    > On Wed, 9 Apr 2008 21:02:10 +0300, Tzortzakakis Dimitrios wrote:
    >
    > >> The issues of convenience and availability are still as important to me
    > >> as they have ever been.

    > > I'm still waiting for a mobile phone with NiMH AAs and a maglite with a

    li
    > > ion cell, but you can't have everything you want....
    > > :)

    > They won't be MagLites, but there are high quality lights that use
    > all of the popular rechargeable battery types. You can find them by
    > googling, of stopping in a store that caters to police and the hook
    > and ladder crews. Prices may be well above what MagLites go for,
    > though. Alternatively, MagLites have been available for some time
    > with *very* bright, voltage regulated LED modules for their AA, C
    > and D cell models. Alkaline batteries work well and last a
    > reasonably long time and NiMH cells should also do well if you
    > recharge them before they're exhausted. They'd be lighter if Li-Ion
    > powered, but wouldn't do as well when used as truncheons . . . :)

    I have an AA maglite which I use with NiMH rechargeables. I have still 2
    incandescent bulbs to go, which probably will take a couple of years. I
    haven't seen here (Greece) a LED for maglites, but still there are many
    flashlights and even mains light fixtures with LEDs. My Bosch power tool has
    a LED flashlight built in....
    > BTW, you can get LED modules for older MagLites, and they seem to
    > be widely available. The last one I got was bought in a local
    > Target. Haven't seen an LED Solo yet. The MagLite LED modules
    > aren't like the generic LED conversion kits I've seen, in that they
    > are designed to allow the MagLites to focus their beams. I haven't
    > tried a generic module or replacement bulb in a MagLite though.

    I have bought a set of 2 replacement bulbs for my maglite, which I have in
    my tool box.... Very useful. A NiMH charge lasts me for months....

    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios, Apr 13, 2008