Re: it's kind of wet around here

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by thund3rstruck, Jul 25, 2010.

  1. thund3rstruck, Jul 25, 2010

  2. thund3rstruck, Jul 25, 2010

  3. thund3rstruck

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 13:33:09 -0400, thund3rstruck wrote:

    > philo wrote:
    >> On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 23:09:13 -0500, thund3rstruck
    >> <thund3rstruck_n0i@live> wrote:

    index.html?
    eref=rss_us&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rss
    %2Fcnn_us+%28RSS%3A+U.S.%29&utm_content=Google+Feedfetcher

    >>> Wow.
    >>>
    >>> n0i

    >> Ironically I can only see it from the news reports
    >>
    >> the area is secured and only workmen are allowed near it!

    > I wonder if that happened all at once, or a bit over time?
    >
    > n0i

    My guess is at once. I doubt if there would be an SUV in the bottom of
    the hole if it happened a bit over time. (I'm assuming you mean the
    collapse.)

    The undermining of the ground caused by a water mains leak could have
    occurred gradually at first then all hell broke loose as soon as the
    roadway was sufficiently undermined to collapse.
    Meat Plow, Jul 25, 2010
  4. thund3rstruck

    philo Guest

    On 07/25/2010 12:53 PM, Meat Plow wrote:
    > On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 13:33:09 -0400, thund3rstruck wrote:
    >
    >> philo wrote:

    > index.html?
    > eref=rss_us&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rss
    > %2Fcnn_us+%28RSS%3A+U.S.%29&utm_content=Google+Feedfetcher

    >>> Ironically I can only see it from the news reports
    >>>
    >>> the area is secured and only workmen are allowed near it!

    >> I wonder if that happened all at once, or a bit over time?
    >>
    >> n0i

    > My guess is at once. I doubt if there would be an SUV in the bottom of
    > the hole if it happened a bit over time. (I'm assuming you mean the
    > collapse.)
    >
    > The undermining of the ground caused by a water mains leak could have
    > occurred gradually at first then all hell broke loose as soon as the
    > roadway was sufficiently undermined to collapse.

    Yes it happened very fast.

    add't info:

    during a summer a large restaurant burned down
    right next to where the sink hole is
    and was not re-built

    just fill put in

    since it's all at the bottom of a large hill

    a lot of people wonder if the huge vacant lot acted as a sponge
    philo, Jul 25, 2010
  5. thund3rstruck

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 13:27:51 -0500, philo wrote:

    >> My guess is at once. I doubt if there would be an SUV in the bottom of
    >> the hole if it happened a bit over time. (I'm assuming you mean the
    >> collapse.)
    >>
    >> The undermining of the ground caused by a water mains leak could have
    >> occurred gradually at first then all hell broke loose as soon as the
    >> roadway was sufficiently undermined to collapse.

    > Yes it happened very fast.
    >
    > add't info:
    >
    > during a summer a large restaurant burned down right next to where the
    > sink hole is
    > and was not re-built
    >
    > just fill put in
    >
    > since it's all at the bottom of a large hill
    >
    > a lot of people wonder if the huge vacant lot acted as a sponge

    According to the picture there's a large water main running through the
    middle of the hole. I don't have much doubt that it started leaking on
    the bottom and washed away the ground below the road. Obviously there
    were no signs of the leak until the erosion was sufficient to cause the
    collapse.
    Meat Plow, Jul 25, 2010
  6. thund3rstruck

    philo Guest

    On 07/25/2010 01:59 PM, Meat Plow wrote:
    > On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 13:27:51 -0500, philo wrote:
    >
    >>> My guess is at once. I doubt if there would be an SUV in the bottom of
    >>> the hole if it happened a bit over time. (I'm assuming you mean the
    >>> collapse.)
    >>>
    >>> The undermining of the ground caused by a water mains leak could have
    >>> occurred gradually at first then all hell broke loose as soon as the
    >>> roadway was sufficiently undermined to collapse.

    >> Yes it happened very fast.
    >>
    >> add't info:
    >>
    >> during a summer a large restaurant burned down right next to where the
    >> sink hole is
    >> and was not re-built
    >>
    >> just fill put in
    >>
    >> since it's all at the bottom of a large hill
    >>
    >> a lot of people wonder if the huge vacant lot acted as a sponge

    > According to the picture there's a large water main running through the
    > middle of the hole. I don't have much doubt that it started leaking on
    > the bottom and washed away the ground below the road. Obviously there
    > were no signs of the leak until the erosion was sufficient to cause the
    > collapse.

    I think you are right

    but the rain probably helped a bit too

    the whole city of Milwaukee is falling apart

    recently a 13 ton *decorative* concrete slab fell off a parking
    structure and killed some poor 15 year old kid!

    It was supposed to have been held on by 4 or five substantial
    stainless-steel bars

    turns out it was being held on by a couple of pieces of re-bar
    that were only 2 " long...

    sheesh I've taken more care hanging some 75 pound artwork!!!!

    The whole parking structure will have to have all the slabs removed
    or maybe the whole thing torn down!

    aargh!!!!
    philo, Jul 25, 2010
  7. thund3rstruck

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 14:24:19 -0500, philo wrote:

    >> According to the picture there's a large water main running through the
    >> middle of the hole. I don't have much doubt that it started leaking on
    >> the bottom and washed away the ground below the road. Obviously there
    >> were no signs of the leak until the erosion was sufficient to cause the
    >> collapse.

    > I think you are right
    >
    > but the rain probably helped a bit too

    The rain could have caused an initial 'shift' in the pipe and if it was
    jointed there started a leak. Also if it was weak from age. I'll bet a
    lot of those mains are at least 100 years old. We had one pop a month
    ago. Didn't cause a sink hole but flooded out the roadway and shut it
    down until workers could repair it. That road probably sees traffic daily
    in the range of 20 or 30 thousand cars since it lead in and out of a
    business district. That may not appear to be a lot of traffic but
    considering our suburban area here it is.
    Meat Plow, Jul 25, 2010
  8. Meat Plow wrote:
    > On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 13:33:09 -0400, thund3rstruck wrote:
    >> I wonder if that happened all at once, or a bit over time?
    >>
    >> n0i

    > My guess is at once. I doubt if there would be an SUV in the bottom of
    > the hole if it happened a bit over time. (I'm assuming you mean the
    > collapse.)
    >
    > The undermining of the ground caused by a water mains leak could have
    > occurred gradually at first then all hell broke loose as soon as the
    > roadway was sufficiently undermined to collapse.

    You just described my thoughts. I know it couldn't have been a big
    hole before, or else other cars would have fallen in too. I blame the
    analytical side of my brain for these sorts of thoughts. :)

    n0i
    thund3rstruck, Jul 25, 2010
  9. philo wrote:
    > Yes it happened very fast.
    >
    > add't info:
    >
    > during a summer a large restaurant burned down
    > right next to where the sink hole is
    > and was not re-built
    >
    > just fill put in
    >
    > since it's all at the bottom of a large hill
    >
    > a lot of people wonder if the huge vacant lot acted as a sponge

    Possible, as all that dirt had to go somewhere...

    n0i
    thund3rstruck, Jul 25, 2010
  10. Steve wrote:
    > In article <i2i316$cf9$-september.org>,
    > lid says...

    <snip>
    >> The whole parking structure will have to have all the slabs removed
    >> or maybe the whole thing torn down!
    >>

    >> aargh!!!!

    > I bet nobody investigates the contractor or the inspecter that ok'd
    > the job.

    Why would they? You don't turn on family...

    n0i
    thund3rstruck, Jul 26, 2010