Re: Its a 16x9 widescreen world

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Bruce, Sep 12, 2010.

  1. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    "Tim Conway" <> wrote:
    >"Survivor" <> wrote:
    >>
    >> Pictures that don't fit your new HD screen are so lame.
    >>

    >Nikon's new P7000 has a 16x9 size photo.

    But only by cropping the image from a sensor with a 4:3 aspect ratio!

    The 16:9 image is 3584 x 2016 pixels, cropped from 3648 x 2736. That
    means 16:9 users get a 7.2 MP image from a 10.0 MP sensor.

    Bruce, Sep 12, 2010

  2. "Neil Harrington" <> wrote in message

    > But who cares? My 15.6" laptop has a 16:9 screen, 1366 x 768 -- that's
    > about 1.05 MP. My biggest desktop monitor is 22" and 1680 x 1050 (16:10,
    > probably the most common widescreen ratio for monitors) -- that's about
    > 1.76 MP. Even if you show photos on the most humungous widescreen TV you
    > can buy, that's still only about 2.07 MP. There are some higher
    > resolution monitors of course, but none approaching 7.2 MP as far as I'm
    > aware.
    > .

    Agreed in principle, but there are some 9.2MP resolution monitors:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_T220/T221_LCD_monitors

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Sep 13, 2010

  3. Bruce

    J. Clarke Guest

    On 9/13/2010 1:49 AM, David J Taylor wrote:
    > "Neil Harrington" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> But who cares? My 15.6" laptop has a 16:9 screen, 1366 x 768 -- that's
    >> about 1.05 MP. My biggest desktop monitor is 22" and 1680 x 1050
    >> (16:10, probably the most common widescreen ratio for monitors) --
    >> that's about 1.76 MP. Even if you show photos on the most humungous
    >> widescreen TV you can buy, that's still only about 2.07 MP. There are
    >> some higher resolution monitors of course, but none approaching 7.2 MP
    >> as far as I'm aware.
    >> .

    > Agreed in principle, but there are some 9.2MP resolution monitors:
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_T220/T221_LCD_monitors

    You can get a more or less seamless 8 MP in a very large size with four
    1080P projectors.

    J. Clarke, Sep 13, 2010
  4. "Neil Harrington" <> wrote in message

    > "David J Taylor" <> wrote in
    > message

    []
    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_T220/T221_LCD_monitors

    > Yipe! Not surprisingly, they don't even hint at the price. I suppose
    > this is somewhat like J.P. Morgan's famous reply to someone who asked
    > about the cost of his yacht: "If you have to ask how much they cost, you
    > can't afford one."

    Agreed, and they are now quite old.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Sep 13, 2010
  5. In message <i6lje8$ulg$-september.org>, David J Taylor
    <> writes
    >"Neil Harrington" <> wrote in message news:g7SdndRgB
    >>
    >> "David J Taylor" <> wrote in
    >>message

    >[]
    >>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_T220/T221_LCD_monitors

    >> Yipe! Not surprisingly, they don't even hint at the price.

    They were about eight to ten thousand dollars each, not including the
    rather expensive video card required to drive them which put out four
    video channels -- the display unit was treated as if it was either two
    or four partial display areas adjacent to each other.

    >Agreed, and they are now quite old.

    They had low brightness, poor contrast, poor colour reproduction, a
    refresh rate of 43Hz and the screen image faded badly when viewed
    off-axis. They were mainly used for day trader and financial operations
    and some scientific apps where the ability to put a lot of numbers on a
    single screen was considered enough justification to pay for them. I
    recall seeing a picture of some day trader's desk with four of them
    running in a multi-monitor setup.

    For less than fifteen hundred bucks today you can get a 30" display
    that has excellent colour reproduction, decent contrast and viewing
    angles and about 4Mpixels (2560 x 1600) in a 4:3 ratio panel. Sacrifice
    a little resolution and there are 27" displays with the same features
    with 3.5Mpixels (2560x1440) in the common modern 16:9 ratio. A video
    card capable of driving such a screen can cost less than a hundred bucks
    new if high-speed gaming is not a requirement.
    --
    To reply, my gmail address is nojay1 Robert Sneddon

    Robert Sneddon, Sep 13, 2010
  6. Bruce

    GregS Guest

    In article <>, "Neil Harrington" <> wrote:

    >"David J Taylor" <> wrote in message
    >> "Neil Harrington" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> But who cares? My 15.6" laptop has a 16:9 screen, 1366 x 768 -- that's
    >>> about 1.05 MP. My biggest desktop monitor is 22" and 1680 x 1050 (16:10,
    >>> probably the most common widescreen ratio for monitors) -- that's about
    >>> 1.76 MP. Even if you show photos on the most humungous widescreen TV you
    >>> can buy, that's still only about 2.07 MP. There are some higher
    >>> resolution monitors of course, but none approaching 7.2 MP as far as I'm
    >>> aware.
    >>> .

    >> Agreed in principle, but there are some 9.2MP resolution monitors:
    >>
    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_T220/T221_LCD_monitors

    >Yipe! Not surprisingly, they don't even hint at the price. I suppose this is
    >somewhat like J.P. Morgan's famous reply to someone who asked about the cost
    >of his yacht: "If you have to ask how much they cost, you can't afford one."

    I got one right nere. Its 22 inches. Still runs about $1000 used.
    As the story goes, IBM and another company started making these. Sony
    then bought them out and stopped production. The technology was too advanced.

    greg

    GregS, Sep 13, 2010
  7. On 9/13/10 PDT 9:27 AM, David J Taylor wrote:
    > "Neil Harrington" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "David J Taylor" <> wrote in message

    > []
    >>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_T220/T221_LCD_monitors

    >> Yipe! Not surprisingly, they don't even hint at the price. I suppose
    >> this is somewhat like J.P. Morgan's famous reply to someone who asked
    >> about the cost of his yacht: "If you have to ask how much they cost,
    >> you can't afford one."

    > Agreed, and they are now quite old.

    Mr. Morgan's response was about the upkeep, not the initial capital outlay.

    --
    john mcwilliams

    John McWilliams, Sep 13, 2010
  8. "John McWilliams" <> wrote in message
    > On 9/13/10 PDT 9:27 AM, David J Taylor wrote:
    >> "Neil Harrington" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "David J Taylor" <> wrote in
    >>> message

    >> []
    >>>
    >>> Yipe! Not surprisingly, they don't even hint at the price. I suppose
    >>> this is somewhat like J.P. Morgan's famous reply to someone who asked
    >>> about the cost of his yacht: "If you have to ask how much they cost,
    >>> you can't afford one."

    >> Agreed, and they are now quite old.

    > Mr. Morgan's response was about the upkeep, not the initial capital
    > outlay.
    >
    > --
    > john mcwilliams

    Was it, I didn't know that. Certainly not the way the saying is typically
    used these days.

    David

    David J Taylor, Sep 14, 2010
  9. Bruce

    Irwell Guest

    On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 11:46:12 -0400, Neil Harrington wrote:

    > "John McWilliams" <> wrote in message
    >> On 9/13/10 PDT 9:27 AM, David J Taylor wrote:
    >>> "Neil Harrington" <> wrote in message

    >>> []

    >>> Agreed, and they are now quite old.

    >> Mr. Morgan's response was about the upkeep, not the initial capital
    >> outlay.

    > I thought it was about both.
    >
    > Never mind luxurious yachts; at two or three gallons per mile I couldn't
    > even afford to run the million-dollar speedboat Senator Kerry's wife bought
    > him, but then I couldn't afford to buy one either.

    Millionaire backing his Rolls-Bentley into a parking space when
    a little Mini nips in and parks in the slot.

    "Ha-ha!' cries the Mini driver, "the world belongs to the
    quick and the nimble".

    The millionaire keeps backing his Rolls and bangs the
    Mini out of the way.

    "No it doesn't". says the millionaire "The world belongs to the rich and
    powerful. Here's my card, send me your bill"

    Irwell, Sep 14, 2010
  10. Bruce

    J. Clarke Guest

    On 9/14/2010 4:13 PM, Irwell wrote:
    > On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 11:46:12 -0400, Neil Harrington wrote:
    >
    >> "John McWilliams"<> wrote in message

    >>> Mr. Morgan's response was about the upkeep, not the initial capital
    >>> outlay.

    >> I thought it was about both.
    >>
    >> Never mind luxurious yachts; at two or three gallons per mile I couldn't
    >> even afford to run the million-dollar speedboat Senator Kerry's wife bought
    >> him, but then I couldn't afford to buy one either.

    > Millionaire backing his Rolls-Bentley into a parking space when
    > a little Mini nips in and parks in the slot.
    >
    > "Ha-ha!' cries the Mini driver, "the world belongs to the
    > quick and the nimble".
    >
    > The millionaire keeps backing his Rolls and bangs the
    > Mini out of the way.
    >
    > "No it doesn't". says the millionaire "The world belongs to the rich and
    > powerful. Here's my card, send me your bill"

    You have just described a scene from the movie "Fried Green Tomatoes".

    J. Clarke, Sep 14, 2010
  11. On 9/14/10 PDT 2:01 PM, J. Clarke wrote:
    > On 9/14/2010 4:13 PM, Irwell wrote:
    >> On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 11:46:12 -0400, Neil Harrington wrote:
    >>
    >>> "John McWilliams"<> wrote in message

    >>> I thought it was about both.
    >>>
    >>> Never mind luxurious yachts; at two or three gallons per mile I couldn't
    >>> even afford to run the million-dollar speedboat Senator Kerry's wife
    >>> bought
    >>> him, but then I couldn't afford to buy one either.

    >> Millionaire backing his Rolls-Bentley into a parking space when
    >> a little Mini nips in and parks in the slot.
    >>
    >> "Ha-ha!' cries the Mini driver, "the world belongs to the
    >> quick and the nimble".
    >>
    >> The millionaire keeps backing his Rolls and bangs the
    >> Mini out of the way.
    >>
    >> "No it doesn't". says the millionaire "The world belongs to the rich and
    >> powerful. Here's my card, send me your bill"

    > You have just described a scene from the movie "Fried Green Tomatoes".

    Which in turn borrowed said idea from the long standing joke, which I
    heard in Santa Barbara from a guy who could have been the Millionaire
    who smashes into the other car.....

    --
    john mcwilliams

    John McWilliams, Sep 14, 2010