Re: It just won’t die: Windows XP gets another six months

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Bobs, Oct 6, 2008.

  1. Bobs

    Bobs Guest

    On Oct 5, 6:34 pm, thingy <> wrote:
    > OZZY Boy wrote:
    > > Redmond (WA) – Microsoft has stepped up its effort to promote its Vista operating system, but
    > > Windows XP just isn’t going away.  The company reportedly extended the OEM downgrade timeline once
    > > again: As of now, system builders can still offer Windows XP downgrades to their customers and will
    > > be able to do so until Vista’s second birthday.

    > >http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/39594/140/

    > It's not called ME2 for nothing...but it will be like XP, couple of
    > years and it will stabilise....
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    Vista needs serious hardware to run. I like it on my comp, but my pc
    is high end (quad core, 4 gig ram). Laptops should all be shipping
    with XP.

    I see HP, for example, ship their mini-laptops (Atom cpu, 1 gig ram,
    low spec stuff) with Vista which is ridiculous. Even a new install
    must crawl. First thing I would do if I bought that is format and put
    on XP and watch it fly
    Bobs, Oct 6, 2008

  2. Bobs

    Bobs Guest

    On Oct 6, 1:27 pm, Bobs <> wrote:
    > On Oct 5, 6:34 pm, thingy <> wrote:
    >
    > > OZZY Boy wrote:
    > > > Redmond (WA) – Microsoft has stepped up its effort to promote its Vista operating system, but
    > > > Windows XP just isn’t going away.  The company reportedly extended the OEM downgrade timeline once
    > > > again: As of now, system builders can still offer Windows XP downgrades to their customers and will
    > > > be able to do so until Vista’s second birthday.

    > > >http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/39594/140/

    > > It's not called ME2 for nothing...but it will be like XP, couple of
    > > years and it will stabilise....

    > > regards

    > > Thing

    > Vista needs serious hardware to run. I like it on my comp, but my pc
    > is high end (quad core, 4 gig ram). Laptops should all be shipping
    > with XP.
    >
    > I see HP, for example, ship their mini-laptops (Atom cpu, 1 gig ram,
    > low spec stuff) with Vista which is ridiculous. Even a new install
    > must crawl. First thing I would do if I bought that is format and put
    > on XP and watch it fly

    Actually, apparently HP ship VIA cpu's in those laptops. Fucking yuck.
    Bobs, Oct 6, 2008

  3. Re: It just won’t die: Windows XP gets another six months

    In message
    <>, Bobs
    wrote:

    > On Oct 6, 1:27 pm, Bobs <> wrote:
    >
    >> I see HP, for example, ship their mini-laptops (Atom cpu, 1 gig ram,
    >> low spec stuff) with Vista which is ridiculous. Even a new install
    >> must crawl. First thing I would do if I bought that is format and put
    >> on XP and watch it fly

    > Actually, apparently HP ship VIA cpu's in those laptops. Fucking yuck.

    Should work adequately under Linux, though.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 6, 2008
  4. Bobs

    Geopelia Guest

    Re: It just won't die: Windows XP gets another six months

    I like XP. It's a great improvement on ME, which I started with.

    But isn't there something called Longhorn coming?

    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Oct 6, 2008
  5. Re: It just won't die: Windows XP gets another six months

    In message <gcbs3n$npv$>, Geopelia wrote:

    > I like XP. It's a great improvement on ME, which I started with.

    *Anything* would have been a great improvement on ME. :)

    > But isn't there something called Longhorn coming?

    That was the codename for Vista.

    Have you looked at these mini-notebooks/netbooks, like the Asus Eee?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 6, 2008
  6. Bobs

    Geopelia Guest

    > In message <gcbs3n$npv$>, Geopelia wrote:
    >
    >> I like XP. It's a great improvement on ME, which I started with.

    > *Anything* would have been a great improvement on ME. :)
    >
    >> But isn't there something called Longhorn coming?

    > That was the codename for Vista.
    >
    > Have you looked at these mini-notebooks/netbooks, like the Asus Eee?

    No, I've just had this computer completely refurbished. I wouldn't need a
    notebook as well.
    I think the keyboard would be too small for me on these laptops, anyway, and
    I need a big monitor.

    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Oct 6, 2008
  7. Bobs

    Geopelia Guest

    > "Geopelia" <> wrote in message

    >>> *Anything* would have been a great improvement on ME. :)

    >>> That was the codename for Vista.
    >>>
    >>> Have you looked at these mini-notebooks/netbooks, like the Asus Eee?

    >> No, I've just had this computer completely refurbished. I wouldn't need a
    >> notebook as well.
    >> I think the keyboard would be too small for me on these laptops, anyway,
    >> and I need a big monitor.
    >>
    >> Geopelia

    > He's not talking about real laptops with at least 15 inch screens, he's
    > talking about novelty computers with small 7 inch screens.
    >
    > E. Scrooge

    Much too small for me. I increase the magnification to read the internet. A
    tiny screen would be no use to me.
    I like the 19 inch screen, anyway.

    And the keys are too small and close together for my large paws.

    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Oct 7, 2008
  8. Re: It just won't die: Windows XP gets another six months

    In message <gcek9h$r3q$>, Geopelia wrote:

    > And the keys are too small and close together for my large paws.

    You have large paws?? My piano teacher told me I had large hands (I can
    strike tenths no problem), yet I can type on the little Eee keyboard,
    that's not one of the features that annoys me.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 7, 2008
  9. Re: It just won't die: Windows XP gets another six months

    In message <gcek9h$r3q$>, Geopelia wrote:

    > A tiny screen would be no use to me.
    >
    > And the keys are too small and close together for my large paws.

    There's an Eee for every taste ... how about one of these
    <http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/10/06/review_netbook_asus_eee_pc_1000/>,
    then?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 7, 2008
  10. Bobs

    Geopelia Guest

    >> In message <gcek9h$r3q$>, Geopelia wrote:
    >>
    >>> And the keys are too small and close together for my large paws.

    >> You have large paws?? My piano teacher told me I had large hands (I can
    >> strike tenths no problem), yet I can type on the little Eee keyboard,
    >> that's not one of the features that annoys me.

    > Sticking pins in the end of your fingers to hit all the small keys without
    > mistakes is hardly the option that everyone else would be all that keen
    > on.
    >
    > E. Scrooge

    I need the biggest size in gloves, fortunately I rarely wear any.
    And the biggest size in wedding rings.
    But at least I don't have those horrible long square ended nails that seem
    to be fashionable today.
    Geopelia, Oct 7, 2008
  11. Bobs

    Geopelia Guest

    > In message <gcek9h$r3q$>, Geopelia wrote:
    >
    >> A tiny screen would be no use to me.
    >>
    >> And the keys are too small and close together for my large paws.

    > There's an Eee for every taste ... how about one of these
    > <http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/10/06/review_netbook_asus_eee_pc_1000/>,
    > then?

    It would still have to be connected to the printer, scanner, speakers and
    the surge protector, so I might as well have a large monitor and keyboard
    anyway.
    And a little thing like that would be easy to steal.
    Geopelia, Oct 7, 2008
  12. Re: It just won't die: Windows XP gets another six months

    In message <gcfdlk$fi2$>, Geopelia wrote:

    >> In message <gcek9h$r3q$>, Geopelia wrote:
    >>
    >>> A tiny screen would be no use to me.
    >>>
    >>> And the keys are too small and close together for my large paws.

    >> There's an Eee for every taste ... how about one of these

    <http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/10/06/review_netbook_asus_eee_pc_1000/>,
    >> then?

    > It would still have to be connected to the printer, scanner, speakers and
    > the surge protector ...

    That's not really the idea. They're not meant to be your primary work
    machine, but a secondary machine that's easy to take anywhere, when you
    just need basic functions, internet connectivity etc.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 7, 2008
  13. Bobs

    Geopelia Guest

    > In message <gcfdlk$fi2$>, Geopelia wrote:

    >>> There's an Eee for every taste ... how about one of these
    >>>

    > <http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/10/06/review_netbook_asus_eee_pc_1000/>,
    >>> then?

    >> It would still have to be connected to the printer, scanner, speakers
    >> and
    >> the surge protector ...

    > That's not really the idea. They're not meant to be your primary work
    > machine, but a secondary machine that's easy to take anywhere, when you
    > just need basic functions, internet connectivity etc.

    I can't think why I would ever need one away from my main computer. I don't
    even have any need for a mobile phone.
    I suppose they could be useful for sales reps away from the office, though.
    Geopelia, Oct 8, 2008
  14. Re: It just won't die: Windows XP gets another six months

    In message <gcgpqb$j0e$>, Geopelia wrote:

    >> In message <gcfdlk$fi2$>, Geopelia wrote:
    >>>
    >>> It would still have to be connected to the printer, scanner, speakers
    >>> and the surge protector ...

    >> That's not really the idea. They're not meant to be your primary work
    >> machine, but a secondary machine that's easy to take anywhere, when you
    >> just need basic functions, internet connectivity etc.

    > I can't think why I would ever need one away from my main computer.

    I have used mine while slouching on the living-room couch, which was more
    comfortable for light things like web-browsing than sitting in my office.

    Also these units have built-in wireless, so you can take them down your
    favourite café etc.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 8, 2008
  15. Re: It just won't die: Windows XP gets another six months

    On Tue, 7 Oct 2008 23:18:48 +1300, Geopelia <> wrote
    in <news:gcfd2c$ed0$>:

    > "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote in message

    >>> You have large paws?? My piano teacher told me I had large hands (I can
    >>> strike tenths no problem), yet I can type on the little Eee keyboard,
    >>> that's not one of the features that annoys me.

    >> Sticking pins in the end of your fingers to hit all the small keys without
    >> mistakes is hardly the option that everyone else would be all that keen
    >> on.
    >>
    >> E. Scrooge
    >>

    > I need the biggest size in gloves, fortunately I rarely wear any.
    > And the biggest size in wedding rings.
    > But at least I don't have those horrible long square ended nails that seem
    > to be fashionable today.

    And here was me thinking that there was no longer any need for farriers.

    --
    - Nic.
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Oct 8, 2008
  16. Re: It just won't die: Windows XP gets another six months

    On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 09:46:59 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> wrote in

    > In message <gcfdlk$fi2$>, Geopelia wrote:

    >>> There's an Eee for every taste ... how about one of these
    >>>

    > <http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/10/06/review_netbook_asus_eee_pc_1000/>,
    >>> then?

    >> It would still have to be connected to the printer, scanner, speakers and
    >> the surge protector ...

    > That's not really the idea. They're not meant to be your primary work
    > machine, but a secondary machine that's easy to take anywhere, when you
    > just need basic functions, internet connectivity etc.

    I really can't see that level of portability being a factor for someone of
    Geopenia's venerable vintage.

    --
    - Nic.
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Oct 8, 2008
  17. Re: It just won't die: Windows XP gets another six months

    On Wed, 8 Oct 2008 13:51:35 +1300, Nicolaas Hawkins <>
    wrote in <news:>:

    > On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 09:46:59 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    > <_zealand> wrote in
    >
    >> In message <gcfdlk$fi2$>, Geopelia wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in message

    >> <http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/10/06/review_netbook_asus_eee_pc_1000/>,
    >>>
    >>> It would still have to be connected to the printer, scanner, speakers and
    >>> the surge protector ...

    >> That's not really the idea. They're not meant to be your primary work
    >> machine, but a secondary machine that's easy to take anywhere, when you
    >> just need basic functions, internet connectivity etc.

    > I really can't see that level of portability being a factor for someone of
    > Geopenia's venerable vintage.

    Oh dear! Geopelia, not Geopenia! My humble apologies.

    --
    - Nic.
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Oct 8, 2008
  18. Bobs

    Geopelia Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Nicolaas Hawkins" typed:
    >> On Wed, 8 Oct 2008 13:51:35 +1300, Nicolaas Hawkins
    >> <> wrote in <news:>:
    >>> I really can't see that level of portability being a factor for
    >>> someone of Geopenia's venerable vintage.

    >> Oh dear! Geopelia, not Geopenia! My humble apologies.

    > Oh dear indeed! A rather unfortunate typo that one. <g>
    > --
    > Shaun.

    Could be rather appropriate though. I like to grow things.
    I googled it, and found an interesting book about the Emperor Constantine IV
    and "the transplanting of lucerne".
    Does it really mean transplanting? More like just the cultivation.

    "The best dung in the world is the master's foot" - old proverb - well if
    that means manure or fertilizer, it's probably right.

    I remember the old story. "There was an old farmer who told his sons as he
    lay dying that there was a great treasure hidden in his fields. So the lads
    dug over the whole farm looking for the treasure, which greatly improved the
    crops. Then they realised that was the treasure."

    Geopelia
    (Which is the name of a little dove, but what has that got to do with
    Windows XP?)
    Geopelia, Oct 8, 2008
  19. Bobs

    Geopelia Guest

    "Nicolaas Hawkins" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 7 Oct 2008 23:18:48 +1300, Geopelia <> wrote
    > in <news:gcfd2c$ed0$>:
    >
    >> "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in
    >>> message

    >>> Sticking pins in the end of your fingers to hit all the small keys
    >>> without
    >>> mistakes is hardly the option that everyone else would be all that keen
    >>> on.
    >>>
    >>> E. Scrooge
    >>>

    >> I need the biggest size in gloves, fortunately I rarely wear any.
    >> And the biggest size in wedding rings.
    >> But at least I don't have those horrible long square ended nails that
    >> seem
    >> to be fashionable today.

    > And here was me thinking that there was no longer any need for farriers.
    >
    > --
    > - Nic.

    Yes, they do look rather like the overgrown hoofs of horses, don't they!
    Hideous, especially on the thumb.
    Geopelia, Oct 8, 2008
  20. Re: It just won't die: Windows XP gets another six months

    On Wed, 8 Oct 2008 23:45:19 +1300, Geopelia <> wrote
    in <news:gci305$uk1$>:

    > "Nicolaas Hawkins" <> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 7 Oct 2008 23:18:48 +1300, Geopelia <> wrote
    >> in <news:gcfd2c$ed0$>:
    >>
    >>> "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote in message

    >>> I need the biggest size in gloves, fortunately I rarely wear any.
    >>> And the biggest size in wedding rings.
    >>> But at least I don't have those horrible long square ended nails that
    >>> seem
    >>> to be fashionable today.

    >> And here was me thinking that there was no longer any need for farriers.
    >>
    >> --
    >> - Nic.

    > Yes, they do look rather like the overgrown hoofs of horses, don't they!
    > Hideous, especially on the thumb.

    And other parts of the wearers often bear a striking resemblance to other
    parts of a horse's anatomy, also.

    --
    - Nic.
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Oct 8, 2008