Re: It just won’t die: Windows XP gets another six months

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 5, 2008.

  1. In message <48e851e5$>, thingy wrote:

    > [Vista is] not called ME2 for nothing...but it will be like XP, couple of
    > years and it will stabilise....

    By that time Dimdows 7 should be out. Unless...

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 5, 2008

  2. In message <48e86c75$>, thingy wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> In message <48e851e5$>, thingy wrote:
    >>
    >>> [Vista is] not called ME2 for nothing...but it will be like XP, couple
    >>> of years and it will stabilise....

    >> By that time Dimdows 7 should be out. Unless...

    > yes but that wont be stable for 2 years either...

    Only if it's a radical revamp. But if, as the indications are, that it'll be
    basically Vista warmed over, then it should be the "stabilized" version of
    Vista.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 5, 2008

  3. In message <48e8fdd7$>, thingy wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >>> yes but that wont be stable for 2 years either...

    >> Only if it's a radical revamp. But if, as the indications are, that it'll
    >> be basically Vista warmed over, ...

    > I would hope they finally addin all that was promised by vista originally.

    WinFS is dead. WPF isn't quite dead, but it's morphed into Silverlight,
    which is supposed to be cross-platform.

    Basically, don't expect any of the Vista-specific promises to be
    resurrected.

    As for the scourge of drive letters ... looks like it's going to be there
    for ever and ever.

    > I think it clearly shows the strength of OSS over CSS....OSS by its
    > nature is modular and can be developed at its own pace independant
    > (virtually anyway) of others...each module can be improved, added and
    > removed (if faulty) by itself.

    And you have well-defined protocols for collaboration between groups working
    on different, but interlocking projects.

    Conway's Law: any piece of software reflects the organizational structure
    that produced it. Compare the modular, pluggable nature of any current
    Linux distro, with the can of worms that is Microsoft Windows, and see this
    description of what it's like to work at Microsoft
    <http://blogs.zdnet.com/carroll/?p=1868> for some insight as to why that
    is.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 6, 2008
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    impossible Guest

    "thingy" <> wrote in message
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >>> yes but that wont be stable for 2 years either...

    >> Only if it's a radical revamp. But if, as the indications are, that it'll
    >> be
    >> basically Vista warmed over,

    > I would hope they finally addin all that was promised by vista originally.
    >
    > then it should be the "stabilized" version of
    >> Vista.

    > I think it clearly shows the strength of OSS over CSS....OSS by its nature
    > is modular and can be developed at its own pace independant (virtually
    > anyway) of others...each module can be improved, added and removed (if
    > faulty) by itself.
    >
    > As OSes get more and more complex, I think we will see MS's OSes stagnate
    > just as Vista has done while Linux just gets better......

    Why?

    "Ah, ah, ah....", thing-thing-thing2 said, "well, ah,
    because....ah...because, welll....because...I sdaid so."

    impossible, Oct 6, 2008
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Gordon Guest

    On 2008-10-05, thingy <> wrote:
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> In message <48e851e5$>, thingy wrote:
    >>
    >>> [Vista is] not called ME2 for nothing...but it will be like XP, couple of
    >>> years and it will stabilise....

    >> By that time Dimdows 7 should be out. Unless...

    > yes but that wont be stable for 2 years either...

    Gentle people, the point is that Intel thew thw Atom processor in the new
    and novel arena. Like a fighter against a mothership, it came out of left
    field and was gone.

    Asus, and others grabbed the Atom and built it. People came and purchased.
    Ms Windows when she understood what the F had happened grabbled, is
    grappling with trying to keep her click up.

    Vista, suddenly was too big, so back to XP.

    In short, Ms Windows, the hardware has forked. Grapple with it.

    Meanwhile Ms Penguin says, yep that platform is such a size and powerful,
    what will fit on it? Yep lets go fishing.

    Its almost back to the future, getting what you want done on lower power
    machines, except that the machine is new.

    YP maybe ;-

    Gordon, Oct 6, 2008
  6. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Re: It just won?t die: Windows XP gets another six months

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Gordon" typed:
    > On 2008-10-05, thingy <> wrote:
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >>> By that time Dimdows 7 should be out. Unless...

    >> yes but that wont be stable for 2 years either...
    >>

    > Gentle people, the point is that Intel thew thw Atom processor in the
    > new and novel arena. Like a fighter against a mothership, it came out
    > of left field and was gone.
    >
    > Asus, and others grabbed the Atom and built it.

    Just a nit-pick, the Atom wasn't built when Asus decided that less was more.
    The first versions of the Eee used low-voltage old tech Celerons. Once Intel
    realised that there was demand for the Atom in a niche carved out by Asus,
    they built it. VIA had been trying to develop this market for years, all it
    took was Asus to give Intel a little push and VIA are completely outclassed
    in the only area where they had presence.

    At the start Microsoft weren't interested, hence Asus went with Linux.
    However, once Microsoft realised the extent of the market they very
    belatedly jumped in, keeping XP alive. I'm betting there will be a "Windows
    Lite" line of OS's to replace XP (probably heavilly based on XP, just
    re-branded) released in the future.

    Otherwise I completely agree with what you're saying.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Oct 6, 2008
  7. In message <gc9ld4$jus$>, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > In message <48e851e5$>, thingy wrote:
    >
    >> [Vista is] not called ME2 for nothing...but it will be like XP, couple of
    >> years and it will stabilise....

    > By that time Dimdows 7 should be out. Unless...

    Here's one summary of the main failings with Vista: bloat, incompatibility,
    and Microsoft's failed attempt to move to a subscription model
    <http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=10303>. Interesting that not one of those
    failings is being addressed by Windows 7. Not one.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 7, 2008